PDA

View Full Version : Petrol Smell Pipes near PAS Pump!

wrighty
24-08-2009, 11:52
Driving around today and very strong petrol smell, get home opened bonnet and obvious region of leaks as petrol spraying everywhere off the pulleys!

After sitting watching car hoping it catches fire initially but then decided would be a cruel end best get it fixed.

It is not obvious whether it is the rubber fuel yet, could it possibly be the metal pipe that connects to the inlet manifold via a small rubber tube as it looks like it may be from there?

Cheers! Anyone got any spare pipes?

Coops
24-08-2009, 13:12
usual thing is for the aux belt to rub through incorrectly routed fuel lines where they run up past the cam belt top cover.

could also be cross threaded bolt for the cold start injector feed on that end of the fuel rail

Wobba
24-08-2009, 14:03
Probably the rubber hoses have deteriorated, replace.

wrighty
24-08-2009, 14:29
Is it a big job?

I am assuming due to routing etc it is better to get renault items only?

Cheers as always for the help.

Coops
24-08-2009, 14:58
if you can get hold of some second hand ones in decent nick your laughing as as you rightly guessed they are sculpted lines so best off with o/e. thing new from renault are silly prices tho.

Wobba
25-08-2009, 10:08
Its not a hard job...unless your on the side of the motorway, in the dark, sub zero temperatures and its snowing... :roll:

Have a good look at the pipe routing. De-pressurise fuel system (run engine with power socket to pump unplugged for a bit), undo clips to fuel rail (careful of yer eyes!), undo the pipes from the hard rail under the car...pull pipes out. If the plastic 'shield' near the aux belt is still attached, get that off first (its shit anyway).

Make sure you take note of which pipe goes where, in terms of feed and fuel return.

Get new pipes in, route through correct hose clasp thingies. near the aux belt reroute it a bit so they stay away from the aux belt, its not rocket science.

I used braided hoses, but to be honest it can be a pain.

wrighty
25-08-2009, 10:14
Cheers Wobba,

As the car is probably going to be broken soon that good chap Mat Brown has sorted me out a used set as renault wanted over 250 for new items!! Even the parts guy was highly embarressed!

When I get the restoration project I may well look into braided lines as I generally feel that a fountain of petrol all over the engine aint a good thing!

Lucky for me it was only a mile from home so managed to limp home very nervously!

Wobba
25-08-2009, 12:10
Cheers Wobba,

As the car is probably going to be broken soon that good chap Mat Brown has sorted me out a used set as renault wanted over 250 for new items!! Even the parts guy was highly embarressed!

When I get the restoration project I may well look into braided lines as I generally feel that a fountain of petrol all over the engine aint a good thing!

Lucky for me it was only a mile from home so managed to limp home very nervously!

Same happened to me...was an adventure at night in blizzard conditions fixing it by the road with Arj256...

wrighty
25-08-2009, 13:33
Should have carried on and had super heaters!

Wobba
25-08-2009, 14:15
Should have carried on and had super heaters!
We did! Couldnt feel our hands by the end of it, was sooo cold!

wrighty
02-09-2009, 00:21
Only one pipe was damaged by the alternator belt as the stupid plastic guide misguided them onto the belt!

Big thanks to Mat Brown for helping out with the parts, saved me a fortune.

Cheers for all the pointers!

Wobba
02-09-2009, 00:30
Well done :)

Coops
02-09-2009, 07:39
glad all is sorted mate :D

wrighty
02-09-2009, 09:13
Cheers guys, only a temp fix as the pipes will be needed on the new project which should be starting soon.