PDA

View Full Version : exhaust gaskets

diathermy
17-08-2009, 14:07
Hi guys,

I recently got a new gasket to go between the manifold and down pipe...but it is not easy to get the old one off with the manifold in situ. Is there a trick, or shouls I remove the manifold?

Also, when fittlng the pdown pipe to the cat, and cat to middle section, do I need gaskets or just sealant. What sort of sealant should I use? I read somewhere on here not to use exhaust paste on the cat.

And one more thing
1...I am struggling to get the cat off the middle section. Is it an imperial bolt ans the 13 mm spanner keeps slipping and I do not want to damage the bolt. Or do I need to apply heat via a blow torch?

Thanks!

busterhymes
17-08-2009, 14:18
cat to mid section has gasket just bought one from renault and bolts for cat to mid section on mine are metric i just cut mine off and put new ones in cheap and cheerful from your nuts and bolts stockist

Coops
17-08-2009, 14:20
as above for cat joints, i used paste tho as it was cheaper :lol: no problems with it and the cat!

fire ring on the manifold should wiggle off with some heavy persuasion with a big screwdriver of similar, not an easy task in situ tho and willy manifold is fairly easy to removed so i'd just take it off (provided studs to the head play ball)

diathermy
17-08-2009, 14:32
thaks guys.

will cut the bolts out. Probably take off the manifold...is it wort replacing the manifold gasket at the same time?

Also, do i need paste for the fire ring gasket or does it just go on?

busterhymes
17-08-2009, 15:04
if your goin to take off manifold i would definitely change the gasket dont really think theres a need for sealant too

Coops
17-08-2009, 15:40
no sealant needed on fire ring no

i havent bothered changing manifold gasket before and its been fine, however it is supposed to be a crush single use gasket, so its your call really