PDA

View Full Version : aux belt adjustment

busterhymes
17-08-2009, 09:08
need a bit of help, my williams has developed a squeak from around the aux belt area when running, pretty sure belt requires adjustment the belt is new and is a renault item so correct length, i have checked the deflection on the belt and it could do with tighten up a bit but there lies my problem when i try to tighten further i run out of adjustment. seem to remember an issue with the adjuster mech or maybe i dreamed it but need a bit of advice as to what is the best way to cure this issue cheers

Coops
17-08-2009, 10:09
could be knackered adjuster, the teeth can strip out of the plate its mounted to so the adjustment ratchet no longer works correctly. imo its shite design anyway. mine died on the turbo so i simply locked it out, then where the alternator mounts to the engine, i spaced out the top bracket where its bolted to the block with washers, taking up the slack in the belt. did away with the secondary triangular mount on the end of the inlet to allow for the adjustment.

busterhymes
17-08-2009, 12:48
will take a look see if i can work out ur fix but maybe back to you for more advice :lol: thx coops

Wobba
17-08-2009, 12:48
You can undo the tensioner (marking where it was), alternator top bracket, get the belt out of the way hand slide the tensioner toward the front of the car a tad. Then you tighten the tensioner in place and bolt the alternator top bracket in again...

The alternator may require some persuasion to align the bolt holes but it should do the trick.

Coops way works too but it will probably still mean a bit of elbow grease getting the alternator bracket lined up to the bolt holes.

busterhymes
17-08-2009, 13:00
well two options thx alot just hope i can stop the squeaking its driving me potty :( will post up the outcome thx wobba :D

Coops
17-08-2009, 14:22
Coops way works too but it will probably still mean a bit of elbow grease getting the alternator bracket lined up to the bolt holes.

small crowbar, lever it against the brakets/block/whereever you can to take the tension up then pop bolt in, easy peasy :wink: