PDA

View Full Version : Temp Rising

col
14-08-2009, 17:21
Another nigley problem, when cueing in traffic temp gauge rises alarmingly......which sensor is the one i should check?

Just to add , when i pull up an switch off the fan kicks in.

When driving ,the forward motion of the car wont overheat, the gauge is normal.

Advise would be appreciated 8)

MatBrown
14-08-2009, 17:43
Sounds like the fan switch/wiring is at fault as the anti-perc is coming on when you switch off.
Common problem for the wires to go at the plug for the fan.

Mat.

Wobba
14-08-2009, 17:51
That is a common problem...but I would also like to add that especially in this hot weather it is common after a drive where temp builds up to find the fan kick in anyway.

This is because when you are no longer moving forwards and switch off the temp gauge will generally shoot up after a short while. Without the chill factor of the wind or water pump circulating it will create a short lived temperature spike. The sensor in the rad picks this up and on goes the fan.

I'm assuming the fan turns off after about 15 seconds?

col
14-08-2009, 17:52
Is that the one with one male an one female connector Mat?

Wobba
14-08-2009, 17:54
Is that the one with one male an one female connector Mat?

Yea the rad fan switch. I had to re-wire mine. Easy job. Go get a new plug off a poverty spec at the scrappy and cut it so you have plenty of wire or buy one off Mr Brown here :)

col
14-08-2009, 17:56
To be honest Wobba the high temp light was coming on thats how hot it was getting i even had to put the heater on to cool it......but as soon as we got moving it came down slightly.

webby
14-08-2009, 18:20
i had this problem for last few weeks col, got myself a low temp switch and just this second finished a coolant change. fan now kicks in while the engine is running as it didnt before.

webby
14-08-2009, 18:28
check winston's for sale thread.... low temp fan switch available.

Wobba
14-08-2009, 21:44
Same here webby. I feel a lot happier now and the temp never reaches the 2/3rds bar.

Purple
15-08-2009, 00:12
I'm assuming the fan turns off after about 15 seconds?
A few minutes on delay timer. A quicker way to stop the fan running after turning off the engine is leave the ignition key in the first position with the engine off. The temperature sensor is still activated and should turn off the fan in less than a minute.