PDA

View Full Version : All I wanted to do was change the rear brake pads?

darkfibre
12-08-2009, 16:17
And I was landed with a quote for 742 quid!

I apparently require:

New rear pads
New rear discs (with bearings)
New front wheel bearing
New steering column

I'm shocked.

I need to bring this down somehow.

The new steering column costs in the region of 280 + 90 labour. Basically, there is a fair amount of play in the steering wheel. Another place I went to said he can fill/weld it at a cost of 140 inc labour. 140 obviously is a lot more appealing to me, but is the cheaper option likely to cause any problems?

The Willy 3 is running ABS. How much would I be looking at in terms of the rear discs (inc pressed bearings)? I just want ones that work at a reasonable price. Are the 16v ones the same as the Williams?

And the front wheel bearing. Been quoted 100 supplied and fitted. Is that reasonable?

Rear pads are coming in at 75 quid (supplied and fitted).

Your comments and assistance would be most welcome.

Coops
12-08-2009, 16:34
if you do pads and discs yourself on the rear can be done for 100 quid all in, try GSF for the parts and crack out the spanners, not a hard job at all

front bearing is 30 quid or so for the part, but more of a job to do yourself, i paid 100 for one fitted few years back

column can be welded for around 20 quid in situ if you ask around a bit, if not its again not a very hard job to remove yourself, just takes a while and pinch bolt is fiddly. once removed can be welded more easily or you can fill the universal joint where the play is with chemical metal, done

so if you are handy with a spanner can do it all in half a day or so for around 150 quid.if your willing to have a try but not so good with a spanner, then set aside a weekend and a few more quid for the welding.

either way, imo dont use a garage for the lot, as its silly expensive!DIY maintenance for the win :D

kenny
12-08-2009, 16:48
No. none of that is reasonable. you are going to be being ripped off. I have non ABS willy2. any differences would be minor.
A new steering column from renault is about £150.
If you want to go the weld route, you should be able to find someone to do it for £25, you might even get a response on here from someone who has one already welded. fitting can be done by a novice in 2-3 hours. (where are you based?)
I got new front and rear discs for about £100 rear bearings £30 each & £10 each for pressing. You can get them already fitted, cant recall where, someone on here will respond I'm sure.
A full set of pads all round will be less than £100.
For that money you could kit yourself out with all the tools you would need, plus some, and buy the parts with change.

Wobba
12-08-2009, 17:24
This is why I never go to a garage anymore:

1. They rip you off.

2. They then **** it up so you end up doing it yourself anyway.

Cocks.

the jobs you mention are easy. the only thing you'll need help with is the front wheel bearing as you will need a press to get it out and put the new one in.

16v_paddy
12-08-2009, 18:17
They're all quite easy jobs to do yourself

The only iffy 1 is the front bearing, but the easiest way to do that is buy a new bearing from renault - £50 iirc (all the parts you want are the same as the valver) take the hub off - see my guide :wink: and go to a garage with the 2 & ask them to press out the old & press in the new - should only charge you a tenner :wink:

col
12-08-2009, 18:29
Nice one Paddy ......in fact i was only talkin to some mechanics last week an a geezer came in with a pug bearing to be removed......5mins job done an the bloke walked out £5 lighter but with a smile on his face :wink:

col
12-08-2009, 18:30
BIG PLUS.........they put new bearing in.....phew! :wink:

MatBrown
12-08-2009, 18:46
As asked, where are you based as all of that work could be done a lot cheaper.

Mat.

darkfibre
12-08-2009, 19:49
Thanks for the advice guys...I'm based in SE London.

The truth is, I am a complete novice. In fact, a complete novice would probably have more experience in doing all this than me.

I love my Williams, I love driving it, and plan to restore it and keep it for ages. That's about as much experience as I've got :(. I'm an IT engineer so that's where my skills lie (unfortunately not in cars).

If anyone is willing to help I am willing to pay. I know you're all an honest bunch.

Just to note, I went to another garage today and he said that I didn't need my rear discs changed (but that was determined via an external 'inspection' looking through the gaps in the speedlines). Not sure if this is enough, but I haven't really got a clue who to believe. Perhaps if someone is willing to lend a hand they can determine at the time whether this part is required or not.

col
12-08-2009, 19:58
Some discs have the minimum thickness engraved on them around the edge....on the rears,and on the fronts occasionally

I cleaned mine up with a linisher...........super! :wink:

kenny's son-in-law
12-08-2009, 20:18
First off, don't go to that garage again.

Rear disks don't do that much and would only need replacing if they are badly scored or to minimum thinkness.

Get a second opinion.

Pete

Wobba
12-08-2009, 21:07
The truth is, I am a complete novice. In fact, a complete novice would probably have more experience in doing all this than me.

I was a novice not long ago. If you stay here and read some of the threads in mechanical and projects you'll learn a lot!

Coops
12-08-2009, 23:37
as above, depends on how keen you are to get into mechnical stuff, imo these old clios become a hobby and an obsesssion so its good to get stuck in yourself at some point :wink: saves a few quid in the long run aswell :D

darkfibre
12-08-2009, 23:47
depends on how keen you are to get into mechnical stuff, imo these old clios become a hobby and an obsesssion

You're right, I agree. As much as I would like to, I would (for now, especially where brakes and stuff are concerned) rather leave those fitments to those who have had experience. That doesn't mean I wouldn't watch and try and understand what is being done and to try and learn from it.

Does anyone know someone who can weld the steering column and fix the bearing in the London area for a reasonable price?

16v_paddy
13-08-2009, 00:29
[. As much as I would like to, I would (for now, especially where brakes and stuff are concerned) rather leave those fitments to those who have had experience. That doesn't mean I wouldn't watch and try and understand what is being done and to try and learn from it.

1 of the 1st things a mechanic will learn to do is the brakes, so chances are you'll have someone with less experience than you playing with your brakes - maybe not strictly true but you get the idea, replacing brake components is a perfect place start to the learning curve :wink:

For me it's part of the appeal of owning these cars 8)
If you wasn't so far away I'd come & lend a hand.

Best thing to do is shop around for the parts you need - as garages tend to get them cheaper then add a bit to the price so they make a profit on those as well - look in the yellow pages etc for motor factors, personally I'd only get the bearings from renault - or have a look on ebay, there's usually someone with some new OE bearings due to having a clearout & what not. Keep an eye out on there for the other bits you need as you might get lucky & find them - not always but you never know :wink:
Dunno what they cost but renault supply the rear discs with bearings already pressed in & most other places will sell the discs but the bearings are seperate so watch out for that as the bargain price can catch you out :wink:

kenny
13-08-2009, 08:35
I am on hol now till the end of the month. If you are not sorted by then PM me we can arrange a look at your faults to see if they are needed or not. I have steering columns, if you are ok with welding (loads of people on here are) we can sort that easy enough. I don't do it for money any more so don't ask for a quote for all the work will you, I don't mind doing a few favours though and when I see examples of blatant overpricing it makes me angry, plus as Wobba said earlier, they will probably f**k it up as well, and take your money.

kenny
13-08-2009, 08:49

Rear disks don't do that much and would only need replacing if they are badly scored or to minimum thinkness.

Get a second opinion.

Pete

WTF, where did you come from? what next, daughter of kenny?

Wobba
13-08-2009, 11:24

Get a second opinion.

Pete

WTF, where did you come from? what next, daughter of kenny?

Lol :lol:

Problem with doing stuff yourself is you need tools, space and in the event of no driveway/garage a non caring attitude to what passer-bys think about you covered in oil under a jacked up car swearing at some seized bolts like I me...

have a look at my first days as a novice in my project thread with my valver:
http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28459

darkfibre
13-08-2009, 12:14
I am on hol now till the end of the month. If you are not sorted by then PM me we can arrange a look at your faults to see if they are needed or not. I have steering columns, if you are ok with welding (loads of people on here are) we can sort that easy enough. I don't do it for money any more so don't ask for a quote for all the work will you, I don't mind doing a few favours though and when I see examples of blatant overpricing it makes me angry, plus as Wobba said earlier, they will probably f**k it up as well, and take your money.

Kenny,

That's a wonderful offer mate, only problem is that when you're back I'll be gone on hols as well. And I'll be gone for a month...

Problem with doing stuff yourself is you need tools, space and in the event of no driveway/garage a non caring attitude to what passer-bys think about you covered in oil under a jacked up car swearing at some seized bolts like I me...

Space might be a problem, yes, but the swearing won't :P

kenny
30-10-2009, 03:14
Jermaine finally got the steering column sorted.

busterhymes
30-10-2009, 08:44
could help out with the work u need doing if u fancy a ride upto sunny yorkshire :)

katbloke
30-10-2009, 11:27
Did this work all get sorted then?

busterhymes
30-10-2009, 11:43
er not sure just looked at posting date so probably yes threw me with last post some pic of a guy in a car having a rest :wink:

kenny
30-10-2009, 13:17
er not sure just looked at posting date so probably yes threw me with last post some pic of a guy in a car having a rest :wink:

Most of it got sorted or didn't need doing. Because of holidays it took some time to organise a mutual day to do it. :)

busterhymes
30-10-2009, 13:26

Most of it got sorted or didn't need doing. Because of holidays it took some time to organise a mutual day to do it. :)

all good then another happy williams owner :)

darkfibre
30-10-2009, 19:05
I've been meaning to update this thread.

***I would just like to say a MASSIVE thank you to Kenny. He is a TOP bloke, very helpful and I certainly learned a lot. Without a doubt would recommend him to anyone. Thanks for getting my car back on the road.***

MOT on Monday...so wish me luck!

And thanks for your offer busterhymes, I will bear that in mind in future as I have one or two mates in the Leeds area :)

busterhymes
30-10-2009, 19:36
I've been meaning to update this thread.

***I would just like to say a MASSIVE thank you to Kenny. He is a TOP bloke, very helpful and I certainly learned a lot. Without a doubt would recommend him to anyone. Thanks for getting my car back on the road.***

MOT on Monday...so wish me luck!

And thanks for your offer busterhymes, I will bear that in mind in future as I have one or two mates in the Leeds area :)

yeah m8 only 30mins from leeds so anytime :wink:

FATBOY
30-10-2009, 19:53
well i know where to go now if i need some bits doing! only 40 miles down the road from you kenny. :wink: