PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh... I smell Fuel

_ol_
07-08-2009, 14:54
Seems to be when the window is open the smell gets worse... Can't believe I've actually used £30 in 200 miles either, so I guess I've got a leak somewhere in there.

Any advice on where to start looking? Obviously it's a bit concerning - Not smoking in the car that's for sure.

busterhymes
07-08-2009, 15:21
fuel consumption not really bad at that if you look at a fiver a gallon. fuel smell could be a prob and i would suggest you check the two fuel hoses that are routed close to the PAS pump pulley the pipes can sag and end up being worn thru by the auxillary drivebelt i have tie wrap mine up onto a bracket to keep them clear apart from that check round engine bay for any signs of fuel leaks round fuel pipes feeding the injection system also worth a look round the fuel tank and fuel pipes feeding upto engine bay

_ol_
07-08-2009, 15:33
OK thank you I'll have a look... Yeah actually thinking about it the consumption isn't bad, but the smell really is a bit worrying.

Wobba
07-08-2009, 18:05
Check connections to the fuel rail too...oh and by the way, fuel in the eye really hurts so be careful!

flash
08-08-2009, 01:38
you may have an auxillery tank
check around the tank.. the retaining fixings they tend to go where they are bonded to the tank.. check around there
but like wobb's said watch your eyes.. hurts i tell thee

_ol_
11-08-2009, 16:14
Thanks guys... Working on it now.

_ol_
17-08-2009, 13:25
OK so the leak is right by the Fuel tank, the guy who looked at it with me reckons it's the fuel return hose maybe?

Basically looks like I need to pull the fuel tank out to get to this bit of Hose - bloody annoying to say the least.

MAXIBOY
17-08-2009, 13:33
cant you access under the rear seats...tank removal usually ends up snapping bolts..

_ol_
17-08-2009, 13:44
Ah that's not a bad idea...

I'll have a look-see...

Ta!

Wobba
17-08-2009, 13:51
I've replaced my aux tank as one of the hose connectors had snapped leaking fuel all over the place when filled up.

As Maxi says, the bolts tend to rust solid. I was lucky, mine were ok, just take it easy.

have a look at the top of the pump first, under the rear seats.

_ol_
17-08-2009, 14:22
OK so looked under the rear seat, and unfortunately from what I can tell the hose that's got the leak isn't poking up through there - It's a smaller hard hose rather than the larger rubber ones that's got the issue, and it disappears through past the tank into regions out of sight. :/

It's a real bummer... Hope I don't end up ruining this...

Wobba
19-08-2009, 13:37
Take yer time. Run the car real low on fuel to make it easier/lighter/safer or drain it.

Take your time and do plenty of research before dropping the tank. try and predict what parts you'll need. Be careful of crap getting into the tank. May be worth replacing fuel filter as well in case of more contamination.