PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pump testing.......

Evogone
07-08-2009, 07:53
Just started the car up yesterday and all was fine idled as normal then oil light came on and the oil pressure dropped to 0. Turned the car off straight away. There does not appear to be any leaks and the engine was smooth and no noises ?

Could the oil pump just go like that ? how can i check it? anything else it could be ?

stan
07-08-2009, 12:15
Worn crank bearings, worn pump.

Try a new filter and oil change first before condeming anything else.

Also if its still poor, do a mechanical pressure check.

Evogone
07-08-2009, 13:05
Worn crank bearings, worn pump.

Try a new filter and oil change first before condeming anything else.

Also if its still poor, do a mechanical pressure check.

I have a mechanical pressure gauge fitted (to the remote oil filter housing and i saw the needle go from 80psi down to 0 in about 2-3secs. Oil pressure has always been excellent and had a recent oil change..... :( The car was idling fine no noises etc before i shut it off etc...

The fact that it 0 pressure then sugests pump as worn bearing would be a gradual tailoff in pressure i guess......

Laine_16v
07-08-2009, 17:02
Sounds like the drive for the oil pump has failed.

(that wouldnt be a first either)

Evogone
07-08-2009, 17:33

Is it driven of a pully / belt ? could the bolt have come loose so its just spinning if you know what i mean or is the drive in the actual pump ?

sideways danny
07-08-2009, 19:49
willy or megane bottom end? Willy is shaft driven from the cambelt, megane is chain driven from the front of the crank. Everything is key'd so i'd think the only thing that could move would be the rod into the pump on the willy

col
07-08-2009, 20:26
ER....might sound silly ,checked your oil level? :wink:

Evogone
07-08-2009, 21:43
willy or megane bottom end? Willy is shaft driven from the cambelt, megane is chain driven from the front of the crank. Everything is key'd so i'd think the only thing that could move would be the rod into the pump on the willy

Its a megan BE but not the latest one i think, has F7R cast in the back of the block.

Could the bolt of the pully that gives it drive come loose so its just spinning..?

Evogone
07-08-2009, 21:44
ER....might sound silly ,checked your oil level? :wink:

Yes...

Evogone
07-08-2009, 21:45

Can you explain ? is the pump knackered or just the pull drive not tight and just spining, dont know if its dowlled etc...?

midge
08-08-2009, 12:32
the oil pump in my williams engine came loose, lost all oil pressure and started doing the b/e bearings, i shut it off as soon as noticed but it still ruined a bearing a 2. With mine i could hear it knocking right before i shut it off, not bearing knock but the pump knocking about in the engine.

sideways danny
08-08-2009, 13:58

Its a megan BE but not the latest one i think, has F7R cast in the back of the block.

Could the bolt of the pully that gives it drive come loose so its just spinning..?

Actually!! the sprocket on the crank is not key'd if there's no bolt tension the sprocket could spin. loose bolts holding the pump to the block are a possible,

MAXIBOY
08-08-2009, 17:08
i thought only the F7R 714 block was chain driven. all others are driven via the idler on the cam belt via the auxiliary shaft and rod into the oil pump.

iirc..

sounds like either a pump failure or spun bearing. but as there was no knocking i would go with pump/drive failure.

diditno
11-08-2009, 22:57
ive got a new oil pump sat in the shed if its any use if that turns out to be the problem

col
12-08-2009, 18:17
Dan ,you saying the megane block is not key,d so what stops it from spinning on the crank ? :?

Evogone
12-08-2009, 19:34
How do you test if the drive has gone or the pump has gone ?

Mine is a Megan BE but a 710 not the latest one which is the 714 i believe.