PDA

View Full Version : Williams Reliabilty

Willyhybrid
13-07-2005, 16:35
What are these cars like for reliability?

The one I'm looking to buy is on 95k and has had lots done to the engine to keep it running really smoothy. I've been in it and it pulls smoothly and strongly all the way to the red line and has had regular oil changes.

Any major problems I should worry about?

Just generally hoping they are "fairly" reliable with nothing "majorly" expensive that goes wrong?

J o n
13-07-2005, 16:39
aaah, you must have read some of the posts about my car then? pmsl

no other car on here is as prone to failure as mine has been... but to be fair my car started breaking from day 1. still filtering out the shitty worn parts which all decided to go whilst I owned it... lol

dont be put off mate, most are solid to be honest.

Enid
13-07-2005, 16:42
Well in almost a year mine has only let me down with a flat battery. Other than that its just consumable items thus far.

Martin
13-07-2005, 17:04
If you drive it hard things WILL break...suspension, brakes, clutch, gearbox all need to be looked after...not the sort of car you can just run and not be interested in/fixing/fiddling with!

Willyhybrid
13-07-2005, 17:07
Oh don't get me wrong I love fiddling with stuff and tuning etc.

The first thing I'll be doing is getting her on the rollers and set up properly and then just general maintenance plus I'm gonna do my best not to boot it around everywhere :roll: :twisted:

Martin
13-07-2005, 17:12
They love a good thrashing it's what hot hatches are for :twisted: ...just replace the bits that break with new / aftermarket bits which will do the job better. :)

J o n
13-07-2005, 17:36
yup, what Martin said.

hopefully you wont need to, most get driven, but few have problems like mine and Martin's former beast... (should that be few or none? lol)

Andyvalver
13-07-2005, 18:06
Mines the 1.8 (basically the same engine) and i would say its reliable. Im having running problems at the moment that i cant seem to sort but considering the day to day thrashing i give it a cant fault the engine at all. The willy engine will be the same, its just everything else that breaks around the engine you need to worry about lol

Caramelx
13-07-2005, 19:39
Ive had mine just over two years now and apart from the normal things that every car needs ive not had any major probs soild as a rock so to speak.

Look after them and they look after you, well thats how it should be but with any older car they will need odd things done

Mine has had new Cluch, Cambelt Alternator etc all the things you would expect.

2 live
13-07-2005, 19:50
in 3 years of ownership mines only really let me down twice, and only failed to get me home once

first time was the clutch, 2nd time was the cam pulley

to say these are the main things and the way i v driven it for the last 3 years id say theyre pretty reliable.......if u get a good un thats been well looked after

LotuzClioWilliams
13-07-2005, 19:56
It's reliable as long as you replace the parts before they break down. :wink:

Only had car trouble with it once. Clutch cable snapped. Happens to almost all of the Clios I read.

snakeylady
14-07-2005, 13:31
mine is a high miler [145k] and I've had it for 2 years - only had to replace clutch cable - she is the most reliable car I've ever owned and just goes on and on - apprarently she was well looked after before I got her and I don't thrash her particularly hard, although neither do I coddle her either, - always filled up with Optimax and use the right oils and bits 'n' bobs and hopefully you will have no problems.

J o n
14-07-2005, 13:35
basically it's pot luck with em... lol

Willyhybrid
14-07-2005, 13:37
Great lol :lol:

J o n
14-07-2005, 13:49
well tbh it is mate, dont be put off tho, mines had all sorts go wrong... use mine as an example of worst case scenario... lol

Willyhybrid
14-07-2005, 13:50
Oh I won't be getting put off at all! lol

Mattie
14-07-2005, 13:51
iv had mine bout a month now and in that time iv ad 2 replace the exhaust systm...dectd of course :D and its goin in the garage 2moz 4 a new water pump n cam belt!

from wot i gather though my car was neglectd 2wards the end of its last ownership :twisted: so once iv got everythin sortd out it should be quite reliable....just needs sum TLC

best bet is 2 av a luk at its service history and any reciepts that come with the car, cuz if sumthin hasnt been replaced for a loooooooong time or over alot of milage then theres a chance it will be in n out of garages more then wot its on ur drive!

basically just make sure the previous owner has looked after it well n hasnt neglected it!

LotuzClioWilliams
14-07-2005, 14:14
It's reliable as long as you replace the parts before they break down. :wink:

Only had car trouble with it once. Clutch cable snapped. Happens to almost all of the Clios I read.

Almost forgot about the broken spring I had to replace the first week I had my car.

Zollo
14-07-2005, 14:37
Just make sure you get a good one. I got one for £2600 with 83k 5 months ago and have been sorting it out ever since....

Rear discs and pads, rear w/bearings, top mounts, TDC sensor, lambda, fuel regulator valve, temperature sensor switch, ball Joint, engine stabiliser mount, springs, steering column welded, new tyres fitted. And it still needs a good service. And then there's the wheels and bodywork.

Having said that, as Jesus say's, it's down to luck. Same with most cars really.

Willyhybrid
14-07-2005, 15:04
What to look out for when driving one to check if it's gonna be a decent one? Cheers! 8)

Mattie
14-07-2005, 15:09
check for ALOT of heat cumin up through around the hand break and gear stick area, if there is alot cd mean ur cats gone! happened wiv me :(

1 thing which i dont think ne 1s mentiond make sure u check 4 RUST!!!! especially around the rear wheel arches!!!

VIPERONE
14-07-2005, 21:43
cut the costs.... and learn how to fix it :-)

Mattie
15-07-2005, 09:55
lol yeye thats wot i am doin! :wink: