PDA

View Full Version : My Yamaha R6 Go Kart on Youtube (500bhp+ per tonne)

simonr85
31-07-2009, 12:05
Took the go kart out for the first time last month after building it

Its 106bhp, weighs around 150kg, revs to 16k and grips like f***

When building it, everybody was telling us that it would handle like a bag of spanners and that it would just spin the whhels and go nowhere, its quite the opposite, id say it handles as good as the williams, and you can throw it into any corner at stupid speeds as long as you dont go silly on the extremely sensitive accellorator pedal, and if you want a bit of sideways action then plant your foot and its so controllable, also when you set off it just gets so much grip its like you have been fired out of a canon, all your vision goes blurry and it gets off quick time.

We had it hitting the limiter in 6th gear on numerous occasions and had the clocks reading over 190mph, which is obviously way out because of the size of the wheels, but its fast for acceleration.

anywhere here is the video

R6 Go kart Video on Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlXbyPebVzY)

webby
31-07-2009, 13:00
that thing is nuts!!!! seems very quick in the video. what track is that? i ask cus ur mates are just chillin on the side lol interesting!

2 live
31-07-2009, 17:14
looks like fun lol

vkosho
31-07-2009, 20:09
looks amazing mate. Totaly rapid.

Im building a kart from scratch atm (slowly) with a z250 kawasaki engine. Definately inspiring! :D

flash
31-07-2009, 21:16
bloke from work is sticking one of these in an off road buggy..
they look immense i wouldnt mind one myself !

simonr85
01-08-2009, 10:19
that thing is nuts!!!! seems very quick in the video. what track is that? i ask cus ur mates are just chillin on the side lol interesting!

its an unused test track for a well known van/truck maker in my local area, but we cant go on there anymore as we didnt have permission and the police have been down a few times to spoil our fun.

simonr85
01-08-2009, 10:20
looks amazing mate. Totaly rapid.

Im building a kart from scratch atm (slowly) with a z250 kawasaki engine. Definately inspiring! :D

ours isnt finished fully yet, got to take petrol tank, airbox etc off and sort gear linkage as it was a bit rough.

If you need any help or advice give me a shout and il try help you

simonr85
01-08-2009, 10:23
bloke from work is sticking one of these in an off road buggy..
they look immense i wouldnt mind one myself !

if you do build 1 yourself then make sure you have somewhere to use it first, that was our downfall.

If anyone knows anywhere in north west we can take this then id be more than happy to let them have a blast on it allday with us, our local go kart track charges per person not per kart so its like £120 a day for 4 of us and there track is too small to get out of 2nd gear

u33db
01-08-2009, 20:02
Been looking at a few of these on youtube this last months and am contemplating building one...theres a few old airfields near my folks so i think i'd have a place to use it...they really are mental!!

Can i ask if what is a good kart chassis to use as as they seem to vary in price greatly on ebay?

Also, i assume you extended the kart chassis - where did you get the materials from?

Don't think it'd be too hard to build one but i have no knowledge of welding...what kit do you have and is it fairly easy to do?

Couldn't afford the engine you have but the local bike breakers beside me have a few good candidates in atm...yam xj 600 or a kawa gpz 750 lc. :)

simonr85
04-08-2009, 10:56
Been looking at a few of these on youtube this last months and am contemplating building one...theres a few old airfields near my folks so i think i'd have a place to use it...they really are mental!!

Can i ask if what is a good kart chassis to use as as they seem to vary in price greatly on ebay?

Also, i assume you extended the kart chassis - where did you get the materials from?

Don't think it'd be too hard to build one but i have no knowledge of welding...what kit do you have and is it fairly easy to do?

Couldn't afford the engine you have but the local bike breakers beside me have a few good candidates in atm...yam xj 600 or a kawa gpz 750 lc. :)

We used a 1980s kart chassis that came up cheap, so i dont think you can go wrong that way, my mate welds for BNFL so got all the steel from his work and did all the welding there too, so was quite lucky on that respect. Yes we had to lengthen the chassis, but we didnt want it too long so we moved all the steering and seat forward too.

We also got the R6 as a full bike for cheap so we have used alot of bits like the dials, a front caliper as a rear brake, all the sensors like tilt sensors, clutch pedal sensors, sidestand sensors, the key and ignition, the ecu, so its worth getting a full bike id say so you know you have all the bits

rob-legend
04-08-2009, 11:00
beezerk :shock: