PDA

View Full Version : My first Williams, couple of questions

Benvk
29-07-2009, 22:38
Hi guys, I bought my first Williams from a forum member last Saturday.
http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35918
Quick thanks to Ahmed and his brother, they couldn't have been more helpful and friendly.
All in all, the car seems well sorted and drives really nice with just a couple of small things that I'd like to sort out.
It's had a pretty recent new clutch cable and pedal assembly. However, there's a slight bit of free movement in the peddle before the tension comes on. Is there a way of taking up the slack? I know the ratchet system is supposed to do this but I've pumped the peddle with no improvement. I was thinking there might be a way to sort this at the gearbox end of the cable?
Also the revs dip slightly when you press the clutch and select first. Sounds like it's going to stall but then it picks up again.
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers
Ben

busterhymes
30-07-2009, 00:04
no adjustment at clutch end m8 unless u look at adding a spacer on the actuating arm to remove ur problem of play seems to have had mixed results for some on here sure someone could give u a bit of advice on that.
with regard to the clutch pedal assy and clutch cable a quick check to make sure its a renault cable and then that cable is routed/fitted correctly, non renault cables are general poorer quality and can vary i length which can cause adjustment issues

Cableguy
30-07-2009, 13:15
Sounds like the clutch is on its last legs and the auto adjuster is at the end of its adjustment to me.

To test, get a jack on the clutch arm and disegnage the clutch fully and check if it still drags in to 1st gear :)

Wobba
30-07-2009, 14:12
Dropping revs like that could be speedo sensor or an air leak of some kind. Check all pipes.

Clean ISCV as well, always a must with an unknown car.

Ahmed and eternallife are good lads :)

Cableguy
30-07-2009, 15:55
I assumed he was stationary when dipping clutch and engaging first, if you are indeed moving then go with the above advice, if your stationary then it wont be speed sensor.

Benvk
30-07-2009, 19:13
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, the revs drop a bit when it's stationary and I drop the clutch. I have to push the peddle almost to the floor to disengage it when it's stone cold but this seems to get better after it's warmed up which is a bit weird. I thought the opposite would happen as the cable stretches with the heat?
Ah well, I've owned a couple of valvers in the past and know all about the weird behaviour that come with some Clio's. If it has to have a new clutch soon, so be it.
Can anyone recommend a decent garage to do the job in the North London or Cardiff areas?
In the meantime, I'll have a look at the cable and routing and see if it needs improving.

As a side note, I've read all the threads about clutch cables snapping. How come no one has started manufacturing stronger cables that won't ever snap yet? Shouldn't be that difficult and they'd make a bloody fortune selling them to everyone here! :lol:

Coops
08-09-2009, 16:40
becuase the clutch cables only snap if something else is a miss, so its better a 20 quid cable snapping as a warning of other gremlins than taking out a full clutch setup or a gearbox or something silly :wink:

as said for idle issue, more than likely the idle control valve needs cleaning

Benvk
08-09-2009, 20:51
Good point Coops and I'll have a look at the idle valve, thanks.

Actualy, just took the Willy from London to Wales and had 5 days of belting it around those twisty country roads and it's running a lot lot better now. :lol: