PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Problem, car just cut out

simonr85
29-07-2009, 16:43
I was driving to work this morning and half way to work my radio turned off, then my wipers started to go really slow (on all settings) and windows wound down normal but slow going back up.
N
ow ive come out of work and my car struggled to start, and on way home it was idling at about 400revs when i put the clutch in, and cut out and wont start again, it sounds like the battery is flat when trying to turn over and it ticks from starter motor so there must be an electrical drain somewhere.

Ive looked in the scuttle at the wires going into the ECU to make sure the wiper hasnt chewed it up, which it hasnt and had a play around with them wires but i really dont know where to start???

simonr85
29-07-2009, 16:45
oh yeh, battery light is NOT on so dont think its the alternator as this was replaced not long back, and the light came on when there was a problem with that

Twincam
29-07-2009, 20:35
Check all the earth cables, is your best start

1995clio16v
29-07-2009, 20:47
Id say 100% alternator, but you say you have replaced it recently.

Mine did the exact same thing, and it was the alternator.

MatrixGuy
29-07-2009, 21:37
Hmmm, sounds like alternator or dodgy battery.

Chadwick
29-07-2009, 22:15
Make sure you're getting a good connection onto your battery terminals.

katbloke
30-07-2009, 00:04
get it running and put a fluke on it to check the alternator

Purple
30-07-2009, 02:15
Sounds likely the alternator has cut out, if it happened while you were driving. The battery didn't get charged, so won't start the next time you tried to start it. Probably a bad alternator or a bad connection to it.

fasterthanjesus
30-07-2009, 06:49
had the same thing.

another vote for alternator. under warranty?

simonr85
30-07-2009, 08:14
i think your all right guys, i thought it wouldnt be the alternator as the battery ight does not come on, last time it happened the battery light stayed on.

its been twice now to ribblesdale autos in preston and its going to have to go back again, wish i had listened to some1 on here who said dont touch them with a bargepole, think it was fasterthanjesus or clio1995

1995clio16v
30-07-2009, 20:59
its been twice now to ribblesdale autos in preston and its going to have to go back again, wish i had listened to some1 on here who said dont touch them with a bargepole, think it was fasterthanjesus or clio1995

Sounds like you have just been unlucky. Had no issues with mine for 2 years on a recon unit, up until it retiring from driving.

:(

Matty86
30-07-2009, 21:13
mine did exactly the same, but the alt light didn't come on!

new one cured it spot on :)

simonr85
31-07-2009, 10:32
yep was the alty, i fitted a new 1 yesterday, i did it on my own from a guide on here and i cant believe how easy it was ( it did take me 4 or 5 hours) but im not the best with a spanner and would say id prefer to do this again anyday over doing a clutch cable

webby
31-07-2009, 10:35
yep was the alty, i fitted a new 1 yesterday, i did it on my own from a guide on here and i cant believe how easy it was ( it did take me 4 or 5 hours) but im not the best with a spanner and would say id prefer to do this again anyday over doing a clutch cable

good effort!!! saved yourself 2 hours mechanics labour costs at least!!! cant beat gettin your hands dirty. and about the clutch cable, try doin a clutch pedal kit and then u will love doin the cable. cable= a doddle compared to pedal kit :?

simonr85
31-07-2009, 10:51

good effort!!! saved yourself 2 hours mechanics labour costs at least!!! cant beat gettin your hands dirty. and about the clutch cable, try doin a clutch pedal kit and then u will love doin the cable. cable= a doddle compared to pedal kit :?

ive done the cable and the pedal a few times mate, and as you said there a nightmare, the hardest bit about the alternator was taking the pulley of the old 1 as the new 1 didnt come with a pulley on and didnt have the right to tool to undo it