PDA

View Full Version : Few N00b questions :)

Cableguy
27-07-2009, 12:25
Hi guys , as per my opening post ive got a 1.8 16 valve , L reg clio.

Its been messed with by BB tuning apparently running 170 ish bhp. Its been decatted, SS exhaust, huge PX filter (apparently non standard cam- cant confirm yet and also a chipped ecu to be confirmed)

Couple of quick questions if you dont mind.

1. Its hunting for idle , im going to aim for IACV here, when its inplugged it tends to just idle about 1250 rpm as opposed to hunting 750 - 1250 , but it does still hunt when cold , even when unplugged.

2. ( drastic i know ) i can get a williams engine quite cheap , looks like a straight swap, is this worth it ? if it is worth it will everything plug and play and just swap the ecu over too ?

3. If i do go the above route, could i use the 1.8 ecu to power it either with/without a 2.0 williams chip in there ?

Thanks for any advice in advance , ill continue to dig through the pages upon pages of info on here in the time being.

Cheers folks.

16v_paddy
27-07-2009, 13:03
:welcome:

When you say "hunting" do you mean it's revving itself up & down or just lumpy?

If lumpy I'd say it's probably due to the cams so nothing to really worry about. I don't think it should be idling that high though, could be the throttle position sensor or the throttle itself needs adjusting. Can't hurt to whip the ISCV off & give it a good clean :wink:

Get it confirmed what power it's got before you decide on the willy lump, if it's all true I'd stick with the 1.8 as it's quite a big increase over standard so had a lot of work done, possibly even rebuilt.
Do you know the history of the willy lump? It could be old & tired so down on power (like most of these engines now due to age/condition/mileage) so might need quite a bit of money thrown at it to equal your tuned 1.8. But it's all interchangeable depending what ecu & loom you currently have - there's slight differences in the phase 1, 1.5 (which yours probably is) & 2 looms - the phase 2's have an immobiliser built into the ecu

With the ecu's I can't remember which combination of engine & ecu that can & can't be used :oops: sorry

Cableguy
27-07-2009, 13:33
Hunting as in revving up and down yeah, its not lumpy at all when the IACV is unplugged and its warm.

The exhaust, filter and decat are confirmed, i checked myself. But the cam and chip could be bullsh1t tbh.

Are there any markings on the cam to show if its a upgrade or has anyone got stock measurements so i can compare lift and duration ?

The chip is only about £40 so not worried about that, and surely if its got a good cam it can go in the willy anyway ?

Willy lump probably is tired, but ill rebuild it before it goes in :)

Cheers for the help so far.

P.S my car being a phase 1 ( l reg if thats right ? ) then i dont have the matching of the ecu and immob to worry about so i just assume i can decode a willy ecu or just chip the 1.8 one and it should run.

But theres no wiring as such that needs doing ? just swap looms and eu's around ?

Thanks again :)

16v_paddy
27-07-2009, 13:38
I couldn't say if the cam would be any good in a williams lump as they have different valves in the head compared to the 1.8, but I'm sure someone like stan or maxiboy will be able to tell you most stuff you're asking better than I can.

I'd say get it on a rolling road or something to find out what the score with the valver lump is then decide what to do

Cableguy
27-07-2009, 13:40
Ok sound , first thing to do is get the bugger idling right.

I know for a fact its just had the head rebuilt as it has a cambelt snap on it, got pictures to proce the new valves etc.. so thats a good point i suppose.

If i do go the willy route, will the 1.8 gearbox be ok ?

:D

16v_paddy
27-07-2009, 14:10
The 1.8 gearbox will fit fine, so will a lot of others so there's some options for you to consider

Wobba
27-07-2009, 19:25
The JC3 'box is slightly weaker than the Willy JC5, but it will be fine.

Cleaning ISCV is a must for any valver/willy. Do it first. It could be a sensor, ECU issue or even an air leak. Check all the hose connectors and tighten any/check for holes.

The 1.8 ECU will work but it will run lean, so wont be any good to drive.