PDA

View Full Version : Ive just bent my sills DOH!

DD williams 3
26-07-2009, 08:50
I tried to jack my car up yesterday and put a trollry jack under the main jacking up poit under on the sill, no problem. Then I put axle stands next to the trolley jack and the sill wasnt strong enough and its bent under. This has reaaly pissed me off. Im trying to get the car mint and ive ****ed it up even more!!!!! Im thinking the sills might be more prone to rust in the future now so can anyone recommend what I should do to protect them in the meantime. The paint has chipped off where the damage is.

Thanks

schakal
26-07-2009, 09:09
"spread the load" :idea: :idea:

i use 5" wooden blocks on top of both the jack and axle stands
works everytime .

DD williams 3
26-07-2009, 09:31
Sound I will do that. Do you think its possible to bend the sills back without causing further damage and should I primer and spray them to keep water off or use dinitrol? Ive never done much work on my own so I havent got a clue really.

col
26-07-2009, 10:28
If dent is small ,fill it. If its big youll need too pull it out then fill it.

Drill hole in sill, screw in large self tapper an pull with claw hammer or molegrips.

Sand down area,apply anti rust if you want fill ,spray underseal an spray sill, make sure bottom lip is perfect as this is where the rust generally starts :wink:

webby
26-07-2009, 10:32
i think he has only bent the edge up not actuallt dented it, i would prise it back down level spot a weld on the crack point if there is 1 and re paint it.

flash
26-07-2009, 10:38
make sure to use lots of undersealant whatever you do !

Coops
26-07-2009, 10:48
jack on jacking point, axle stand with wood under the chassis rails

bend back VERY gently, but more than likely the underseal will of cracked off the metal and will split, so araldite back on best you can a g clamp it overnight then coat the lot in underseal

DD williams 3
26-07-2009, 11:15
Ok thanks for that guys. much appreciated

talkingfish
26-07-2009, 11:31
check if you have damaged the rubber underbody seal, if so, cut back to where it is still secured to the body and use a "self healing" type of underbody seal to repair.