PDA

View Full Version : Engine bay restore - is it worth it??

talkingfish
20-07-2009, 19:31
Been looking into getting the engine bay restored - going to cost lots of time, effort and money....

Is it really worth it? Should I just settle for my car being "a nice example".... Just a bit daunted by what neds to be done to get it the standard of the rest of the car...

What do you think peeps??

LEIGH-ANNE
20-07-2009, 19:37
I take it u have a minter then?

If outside is spic and span.....id finish the whole car imo It will only let it down look wise, and everyone will prob exect to see it same condition as the outside if u no wot i mean.

Plus ur feel a whole lot better bout it......i no it will cost a bit, but just do it slowly... :D

Smokey McPot
20-07-2009, 20:10
is it a daily? if so then it might be more trouble than its worth

16v_paddy
20-07-2009, 20:32

If outside is spic and span.....id finish the whole car imo It will only let it down look wise, and everyone will prob exect to see it same condition as the outside if u no wot i mean.

Plus ur feel a whole lot better bout it......i no it will cost a bit, but just do it slowly... :D

Minter?!?!?! IIRC it's won concours awards, go for it mate 8)

northy
20-07-2009, 21:45
i would mate, start with a steam clean that can get most off.

Full works would be engine out job....job for the winter mate?

LEIGH-ANNE
20-07-2009, 21:47

Minter?!?!?! IIRC it's won concours awards, go for it mate 8)

Ill admit i remembered after i posted

BigSteveT
20-07-2009, 22:40
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink:

If a job's worth doing it's worth doing right!!

Not worth wimping out when you're this close! It'll give you something to tinker with over winter :mechanic: plus there's no better time to change the clutch etc etc!!

I've already said i'll give you some help, hints & tips!!!

:doit:

You certinaly wouldn't be :flogging:

And as Leigh-Anne already said you'll then feel a whole lot better about it and you've not got to bust a ball to get it all done!

I'll have you talked into over a couple of Bitberger's at Nurburg! :drunk:

MatrixGuy
21-07-2009, 13:15
Go for it mate, i would if i had the time, money and knowledge, lol. :D

talkingfish
21-07-2009, 20:04
if it's engine out then at least I can get the subframe and engine bay sprayed properly..... just got visions of having to replace most parts - mucho expensive....... *sighs* ](*,)

Coops
22-07-2009, 00:15
it will cost a fortune if you want concourse and tbh if you do go so far with new bits its pretty much the only route to take, but still if you can finance it then i'd go for it within reason (i.e. wont cost house or marriage....or the pooch :lol: )

16v_paddy
22-07-2009, 01:21
if it's engine out then at least I can get the subframe and engine bay sprayed properly..... just got visions of having to replace most parts - mucho expensive....... *sighs* ](*,)

I doubt it'd be expensive, just time consuming, all you're doing is giving it a bloody good clean. Unless you're not doing it all yourself & getting a pro to do it

sooty666
22-07-2009, 08:41
course its worth it, and yes its gona take time and lots ofit, engine out ,good cleaning products a little paint lot of elbow grease and replace every nut and bolt for new.. good luck and buff your willy silky smooth

Coops
22-07-2009, 11:33

I doubt it'd be expensive, just time consuming, all you're doing is giving it a bloody good clean. Unless you're not doing it all yourself & getting a pro to do it

thing is lee, darren is a litte bit of a perfectionist, so he's likely to not refurb a lot of the parts and buy new repacements, hence lots of cost :lol:

Tommo
22-07-2009, 12:08
I'm in the same boat, outside is mint, but engine bay is a bit of a let down. Got some rust on the slam panel and the rest is looking a bit tatty. I have put a new expansion tank in there, just replaced the heat shield and going to give her a good clean and treat the rust. About as much as I'm willing to do at this stage, will try and replace other parts when I have the cash but no rush as nobody ever sees the engine anyway... :D

northy
22-07-2009, 13:04
subframe can be repainted without removing the engine.

if i was u darren, start at the back underneath and clean your way forwards. The from the engine back is easy to do and low cost.

MatrixGuy
22-07-2009, 13:09
This has got me wanting to do mine now, lol.

talkingfish
22-07-2009, 20:32
suppose if I buy bits gradually over the next few months it will soften the blow.... just not looking forward to what I will find once the engine is out....

katbloke
22-07-2009, 20:56

Do it, you know you want to :)
Get a set of tools take one bit off at a time and clean it/spray it whatver then put it back on

MatrixGuy
23-07-2009, 00:40

Do it, you know you want to :)
Get a set of tools take one bit off at a time and clean it/spray it whatver then put it back on

my engine probably wouldn't work again properly mate, lmao.

preston420
24-07-2009, 17:37
well worth it mate if u love the car and are intending on keeping it for a long time do it iv just had mine off the road for just over 6 months having the engine recond and did all my engine bay whilste it was out, and its been killing me but soon as i tax her at the start of august all that money and time we be well worth spent.

talkingfish
26-07-2009, 11:32
well it's boked into the bodyshop now so no turning back now.......?????
:shock:

Jamie.
26-07-2009, 13:37
I'm in the same boat, outside is mint, but engine bay is a bit of a let down. Got some rust on the slam panel and the rest is looking a bit tatty. I have put a new expansion tank in there, just replaced the heat shield and going to give her a good clean and treat the rust. About as much as I'm willing to do at this stage, will try and replace other parts when I have the cash but no rush as nobody ever sees the engine anyway... :D

Get it done mate! Be one less thing for me when I buy it off you! :wink: