PDA

View Full Version : Any interest in 190 bhp Hybrid Complete/Bits?

matty
20-07-2009, 19:22
Owned my N Reg Valver since January 2001 and thinking now may be the time to get rid, despite preferring the shape of the 16v Williams to later Cliosports it has come to the stage where I either spend £1100 plus VAT getting rusty wheel arches and full respray done bar the roof or sell and put the money I would have spent on the car plus parts money towards something a bit newer.

Think my car is in the Garage section and can obviously take photos but basically is as follows:

N Reg Clio 1.8 16v:

APD Big valve engine conversion 3 years ago using Meagne F7R valves and bottom end on a fully worked 1.8 head. Kent Billet cams and Cat Cams pulleys. New Water pump, clutch and cambelt/tensioners when fitted. Always ran on Super Unleaded and Silkolene Pro S oil changed every 6k.

ECU remapped by Chipwizards with RR graph to prove resulting in 190.2 bhp. Cams were timed to not be lumpy on idle, so perhaps more could be got out of the engine if the cams were timed more for power than drivability.

Gearbox is the standard 16v unit and has never given me a problem.

FK Automotive Highsport Coilovers. One of the best mods I did to the car before going 2 litre. Set up at Northampton Motorsport on their Hunter digital alignment rig with it set up slightly different between front left and front right to allow for weight of driver.

Wilwood 4 pot calipers up front and Red Dot 20 groove disks. New set of Forodo replacement pads but was wrongly advised the Wilwood Poly pads were low at MOT time so plenty of life in pads on car and a new set of replacements. New rear calipers and brake bias valve. New Mintex rear pads. Goodridge hoses.

Hillpower strut brace.

Custom BMC CDA Induction kit with SFS silicone hose going into custom made metal throttle body adaptor. Piping and inlet for fitment for cold air feed to front of car components not yet fitted.

16" OZ Ultraleggera wheels in Grey with 195/45/16 Pilot Exalto 2's.

Leather Interior. Leather steering wheel.

Car came with Magnex exhaust fitted when I bought it and this may need welding as was blowing before MOT and they may have cured with putty. I got the matching Magnex decat but this is currently off the car due to recent MOT and also needs welding. Supersprint stainless manifold also.

Pratically everything on the car has been replaced or upgraded as and when old parts have worn out. So Powerflex bushes, new wishbones fitted rather than ball joints when needed replacing, bearing replaced and spare set of front bearings. ARB bushes replaced recently, Scuttle Panel painted, new side strips, new rear wiper arm, coolant bottle and cap, Coops solid dogbone mount, list goes on.......

Battery warning light came on yesterday and getting a brand new 110 amp alternator fitted on Wednesday to get the car back on the road.

Not sure if breaking the car wil get me more money than selling as complete. Like I say I would have to spend £1100 plus to get the car looking great. This is with brand new replacement rear arches I have had for a while and great condition smoothed doors that are also delocked. Car needs a respray due to current doors cracking where filled for delocking last time, car park dents on doors, stone chips on bonnet and front bumper and small amount of rust on tailgate.

So if anyone is after a good Hybrid that really only needs bodywork sorting or any of the parts from the car for their own please let me know.

I have not listed parts and prices because at this stage I am really only gauging if there is enough of a need for any of the parts as probably the car is worth more to me due to 8 years of ownership than what someone would offer for it complete. Some of these parts are unique and can no longer be purchased.

ICE will be removed but Auto Acoustics Stealh Shelf, false floor and 6.5 inch door mounted speakers were fitted and these may be of use to someone.

Location: Tamworth. If anyone wants pics of anyting or more info please ask.

webby
20-07-2009, 19:28
ill take coilovers if u break!

rob-legend
20-07-2009, 21:33
bash some pics up, i could well ne interested in some bits! 8)

tommysb
21-07-2009, 14:38
I'm sure you could get the arches and respray for less than £1100...
Having said that, if you do decide to break, could you pm me a figure for the engine please?

rhys_clio
23-07-2009, 18:41
has this car been broken yet? whats happening with the engine?

matty
23-07-2009, 21:31
Not broken yet as it is my only transportation and only just changed the alternator which bust at weekend.

Will post pics up but if there is enough interest I will move onto a 182 with money from parts plus what I would have spent making the bodywork mint.

rob-legend
24-07-2009, 00:16
pics!!!! 8)

matty
24-07-2009, 08:31
Will do this weekend. Been raining all week !!!

tommysb
27-07-2009, 18:27
Hi Matt,

Thanks for the reply about the engine. Sounds like a goodun, but have too much n my plate at the moment. Hope it finds a good home!

rob-legend
30-07-2009, 06:42
is this 432 btw? if so bonnet?!

matty
30-07-2009, 20:18
Car is 432 but was resprayed 5 years ago due to break in and damage caused. I paid extra to have delocked and all bar tailgate and roof painted. I do not feel it is the same colour though but maybe that is because painted plastic parts look different to painted metal?

I will get pics up this weekend. Car is running fine again now new alternator has been fitted. If this goes or get broken I will need to replace as is my only form of transport and I cannot really afford to tie up money in a replacement whilst waiting for bits to sell so would prefer to see as is. Otherwise will get bodywork done in December when away for 3 weeks so can do without the car then and either try selling a mint 190bhp hybrid or run for as long as it lasts, which should be a while as I know this history of practically every part on this car......

rob-legend
30-07-2009, 22:25
well i'm interested in the bonnet if you break

kaos
05-08-2009, 22:35
how much for engine?

matty
15-08-2009, 08:02
I am going to have a look at a 182 hopefully this weekend. As I will probably only replace the Hybrid for a newer Renault.

If I like it and can get the money to buy one I can then start stripping the Hybrid. I may want standard parts in exchange so I can return it to normal and trade in under the scrappage scheme for a new car for my other half.

Will let people know and sort out photos. Once I get to see and drive a 182 that will be the decider.

rob-legend
15-08-2009, 09:14
awww, bonnet :(

matty
15-09-2009, 16:06
Right hopefully my replacement car is being bought this week. They hybrid will then be used for the Government scrappage scheme against my fiancee's new car so anything of value will be removed from the Hybrid and sold on.

I will obviously need to source replacements either from members or scrapyards so if there is anything on the car that is wanted, please check the mods in the garage section (bit old as does not include the wilwoods) or the attachment I copied from the garage section and updated.

I also have new rear arches I was going to use, delocked and smoothed doors, interior door cards with non creased arm rest and dash top. Also brand new front wheel bearings and brand new door handles.

Nothing can be removed from the car until replacement car is ssourced as I need it for work.

cliokiz
15-09-2009, 17:07
DIBS on the coilovers if they are williams fitment!

matty
15-09-2009, 17:45
DIBS on the coilovers if they are williams fitment!

Think Webby asked for them first unless sorted now and also think FK list a different part number for the Williams so 99% sure they will by Valver/Hybrid fit only.

matty
15-09-2009, 17:49
I have access to an Engine crane so hopefully can get the engine out OK.

Ideally would want to sell engine complete with ECU as remap was for this engine as it is including breathing and exhaust so should be guaranteed for the new owner. Or it gets broken but remapped ECU may not work as well on a different engine????

If cams were timed properly (ie for power causing more lumpy idle and less drivability IMO) think teh engine would be good for 200 bhp.

Anyone is welcome to check the drivability/condition etc of any part wilst the car is still intact, then its a rush job o get steel wheels on it and different engine/suspension/brakes/interior to pass it on to the scrappage people. Same with body panels if anyone thinks mine might be in better condition that what they already have.

cliolord
15-09-2009, 18:08
how much for the engine? :D

matty
15-09-2009, 21:58
When I bought the parts which were fitted in 2006:

Kent RN1603 Billet (not regrind) were £600
Cat Cams CTRE004 Pulleys were £240
Megane F7R Bottom End was £200
Headwork by Stan was lots..... New Renault Valves, Balanced and Lightened Crank, Flywheel, everything done properly basically.
Clutch was £100
New waterpump and belts and tensioners.
Remapped ECU was £350
Supersprint Stainless Manifold was over £300
FK Highsport Coilovers were £480
Set up by Northampton Motorsport was lots....
Hillpower Strut Brace was £75
Wilwood Brake Kit was £380
Custom throttle body adaptor and BMC CDA were £250

Obviously all engine work was done in 2006 and fitted during last world cup. Car has probably done 10000 miles a year since then with Silkolene Pro S oil changes every 6k. Engine is worth whatever it is worth to someone and will bolt straight in. New belts at time of fitment should mean 5 years stress free motoring from a good engine and more to come from it if cams are timed for peak performance.

I think the engine is worth more as a whole but it may be far easier to sell head, bottome end, cams, pulleys, ecu seperately.

Makes sense to me to sell all together as remap is based on engine, breathing and exhaust.

matty
15-09-2009, 22:10
Brand New 110 amp alternator also available which was only fitted 2 months ago. Think I have 432 plastic bits for under headlights as 1 cracked but never got round to replacing and unpainted brand new wing mirror covers and brand new Renault heated wing mirror glass.

Even the battery is a good one so anything that can go to a better home than the scrapyard is available for sale/swap with cash adjustment.

I just have to make sure the car is not refused for the scrappage as that is worth £2000 of my fiancee's car.

matty
15-09-2009, 22:15
And Brand new mintex pads for wilwood calipers which I was wrongly advised were needed for MOT are available.

wrighty
15-09-2009, 23:07
What are the rear arch panels you have? Proper 16V ones?

Interested if so please!

zmaster2k
16-09-2009, 06:29
reallly really really interested in willwoods! can even send you standerd calipers

matty
16-09-2009, 06:55
Rear arches are still wrapped as received from a forum member on here or cliosport. Could have been Winston (could be wrong). Remember it being someone from Manchester area who sold a few car bits.

I was advised eehy are proper 16v arches. Not the full arch 3/4 panel so from teh shape stop at the fuel filler or there abouts. Ideal to be cut down to replace whatever rotten piece is cut out which should be smaller I hope !!!!

DSLR is at the ready so if anyone wants interior or exterior part, mechanical bits and can swap for whatever condition/colour part if I need to for the car to be scrapped hopefully everyone will be happy.

matty
03-10-2009, 22:53
History of Car

January 2001 Purchsed car which had Magnex stainless exhaust and K&N induction kit.

Due to K&N's just making noise and sucking in hot air, got in touch with loads of companies and found one who had extensive knowledge with induction kits and BMC. Ordered a BMC CDA and a custom made throttle body adaptor was designed and fabricated incorporating a SFS silicone hose.

Waterpump and cambelt changed at BBPT and whilst there Magnex decat fitted and chipped to run 146 bhp.

Supersprint stainless manifold was then fitted.

Next modification was FK AUtomotive Highsport Coilovers fitted at Performance Driven. Next MOT found massive wear on inside of tyres and car was taken to Northampton Motorsport for diagnostics. Without adjustment FK's force too much negative camber so correction bolts were fitted and coilovers set up properly by Northampton Motorsport.

Hillpower then fitted a very good strut brace, messed the suspension set up so back to Northampton Motorsport for set up.

Next way forward was Hybrid route, i.e. F7R engine.

Craig Stanley at APD "Advanced Powertrain Developments" was used and the following items made into a new engine:

Megane F7R 714 Bottom End from a 2001 50k mile coupe.
Clio 1.8 16v F7P head worked on to improve flow and bigger valves from a Megane F7R engine fitted (bigger than Williams valves)
Brand New Kent RN1603 Supersorts Billet cams i.e. wildest with standard lifters.
New Kent lifters.
New racing clutch.
New Piston rings.
New gaskets.
New water pump.
New belts and tesnioners.
Kent pulleys were to be used but heard about failings so Catcams pulleys were supplied by Craig.
Crank and flywheel were lightened and balanced for quicker revving engine as recommended by Craig.

All work was done in June 2006. I ran in the engine as per Craig's instructions and took things easy as I was still running on the stock ECU.

1 week later Wayne Schofield who is highly regarded and goes under the name Chipwizard remapped the ECU to suit engine and mods. Car was running 170bhp on stock ECU and when Wayne finished it was 190.2bhp.

Wilwood brake calipers were fitted not that long ago. For this years MOT in April a new brake compensator at rear and new claipers/pads at rear were fitted.

Car has been reliable ever since. Main purpose for engine was for it not to be have like most cammed cars that have lumpy idle. This is perhaps why car is only running at 190 bhp. Craig offered to set cams up properly at additional cost but I was happy with how it is. With the cams I chose having powerband from 3000 rpm and not 2000 rpm like others this gives it more characteristics like beingeasier to drive lower down the rev range if wanting to drive it normally and either just let the revs pull into the powerband or drop down a gear for very good acceleration.

Car has always been treated properly ie coolant change every 2 years. Oil and filter change with Mobil 1 or Silkolene Pro S every 6k miles. Forte engine products used to flush and clean engine and fuel system. Gearbox oil changed for Redline and currently using Millers oil when new engine was installed.

Now to costs.
Billet cams cost £800, regrinds over £400 so as regrinds are on an old cam I feel the cams are not woth much less the £400

Pulleys cost £240.

Bottom End cost £250.

Headwork cost over £400 in labour.

Parts including gaskets, piston rings, belts, tensioners, valves were £350. Balancing and lightening was and extra £100.

Clutch cost £100.

Remap cost £350 and would cost the same today if you can still get hold of Wayne who is notoriously busy and hard to get hold of.

Coilovers cost £480 and lots spent on proper set up.

Wilwood Calipers cost £420 including brackets and braided hoses. Pads were £50 and I have a spare set of brand new Mintex pads for Wilwood calipers.

Red Dot 20 Groove front disks were £50.

New OE ARB bushes were fitted in last year to keep road holding. Powerflex bushes and new wishbones fitted at same time.

BMC CDA cost £180 plus costs for custom fabrication of adaptor.

Supersprint Stainless manifold cost £350.

matty
03-10-2009, 22:53
And for those who have offered IRO £200 for the engine you cannot even buy the pulleys new or regrind existing cams to the same spec for that money. Yes the engine is 3 years and approx 36k miles old but silly offers will result in the engine broken and sold off as components if that makes it easier to sell.

I am hopefully giving the Hybrid one last clean this weekend so ride height is visible, will also take one wheel off to clean so I can take photo of wheel and also coilover, brake caliper. Strut brace and engine will also be photographed and I will video engine running as I am sure people will ask for such information when engine has been removed.

matty
08-10-2009, 18:58
I am off work tomorrow so will be taking all the pics that people have been asking me for and will upload them to flickr.

Please let me know if there is anything in particular you want a photo of.

white16valver
09-10-2009, 10:02
Before you let the arches go, speak to Northy - he was looking for some to get scanned so that we can get some made up for cheaper than renault prices!!

The bloke on ebay selling his was asking silly money, so if you were able to be a top bloke and get them scanned, that would be good for all of us ;) :) 8)

white16valver
09-10-2009, 10:06
http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36809&highlight=

matty
17-10-2009, 11:04
Will take pics and send to Northy sometime this weekend.....