PDA

View Full Version : willy3 wont go into gear

DD williams 3
18-07-2009, 00:51
Hi I am new to this website as I have just bought a Willy 3 and I got it quite cheap as it wont go into gear properly. It will go into gear when the engine is not running but it is really hard to engage all gears with the engine running. It also creeps forward even when you press the clutch all the way to the floor and the clutch has a very sharp biting point. The guy I bought it off told me it has had a recon gearbox 6 months ago and I have the receipt to prove. He said he thinks its the clutch and clutch pressure plate. Does anyone have any ideas and if they can recommend anyone to have a look fo me. I live in Birmingham.
Thanks for your help

vkosho
18-07-2009, 02:14
Your clutch isn't fully disengaging and you just need your clutch adjusted for the correct free play which isn't a difficult or expensive job.

A garage will do it for you no probs but get it sorted promptly or you will wreck your new gearbox and clutch plate.

vkosho
18-07-2009, 02:16
+ hi and welcome!

busterhymes
18-07-2009, 08:01
if you have receipt for work then check out what warranty you have and take it back to the people who fitted the gearbox, clutch adjustment is really only adjusted via cable which is self adjusting could be an issue with cable fitment or the adjuster mech of the pedal which is a wearing part and is a common item that gets replaced along with the clutch cable which has a habit of snapping and most on here only use renault parts as pattern stuff is rubbish (just a thought if pattern clutch cable that could contribute to adjustment issues if cable length wrong )

welcome to the site and the fun and games of owning a williams even if its just a williams 3 :wink: :)

volymmannen
18-07-2009, 12:08
I would never fit a old clutch with a recon gearbox, its a easy job to change clutch when the gearbox is out, not so funny to take the gearbox out again after some months and replace the clutch

DD williams 3
18-07-2009, 21:29
OK thanks for the advice so far.
I will let you know what the prob is when its fixed, which could be a few weeks as im duckin skint!

Matty86
18-07-2009, 22:42
I did a 16v recently with the same problem

was the clutch pressure plate

vkosho
19-07-2009, 02:09
I didn't realise you couldnt manualy adjust the clutch cable. sounds like it could be the mechanism at fault or the plate as mentioned.

Good luck!

schakal
19-07-2009, 09:19
I would never fit a old clutch with a recon gearbox, its a easy job to change clutch when the gearbox is out, not so funny to take the gearbox out again after some months and replace the clutch

totally agree above .
also most people forget to check and replace the clutch fork
pivot bush when the box is out .

cliokiz
20-07-2009, 13:46
Also the clutch fork itself.

It's not uncommon for those to be excessively worn where the bush pivots and causing issues.

16v_paddy
20-07-2009, 14:17
Mine is doing exactly the same now :x is there anything I can do to bodge it? It's only got to be for a week and a half as it's all coming out then

schakal
20-07-2009, 15:30
Mine is doing exactly the same now :x is there anything I can do to bodge it? It's only got to be for a week and a half as it's all coming out then

you can slit a 13mm nut and stick it between the fork
and the end of cable to use as a washer if you know what i mean .
its not as easy as it sounds though but does help taking the slack
out of the cable for a bit .

16v_paddy
20-07-2009, 18:47
^^^ already tried spacing it out with washers with no change :evil:

flash
20-07-2009, 19:23
try putting your car into gear, whack your foot on the clutch and try start it, if it jumps forward then its a clutch
from what youve said in your first post i would say its needing a new clutch im afraid :cry:

16v_paddy
23-07-2009, 00:15
try putting your car into gear, whack your foot on the clutch and try start it, if it jumps forward then its a clutch
from what youve said in your first post i would say its needing a new clutch im afraid :cry:

I done this, it doesn't jump forward but it's bloody well trying to, the engine is bouncing about like a sod :evil:

It had a new clutch in feb this year, any idea why it's doing it so soon?

16v_paddy
04-08-2009, 02:01
Also the clutch fork itself.

It's not uncommon for those to be excessively worn where the bush pivots and causing issues.

Almost spot on with that, found out why mine was being a cnut, the pivot bush had worn down to almost nothing :roll:

cliokiz
04-08-2009, 09:36
That's why it's always a good idea to change it when the gearbox is out :)

Also, shackal correct me if i'm wrong, i've tried the washer method before putting a huge 1 inch long washer in, but it makes no difference as when you depress the pedal the self adjuster will adjust itself to counter it?

DD williams 3
03-09-2009, 18:24
Problem solved bought a new valeo clutch from GSF at a cost of £82 and a gen Renault clutch cable £28 and Olton transmissions fitted it for £225 labour only. Little bit pricey but not many garages will even do the clutches on williams, had to ask about 5 garages!!! Just drove it back from the garage and it runs sweet. Still havent got insurance so It is still off the road for the moment :cry:

busterhymes
03-09-2009, 19:04
glad u r sorted try hagerty for classic insurance i found they are very good on price if ur ok with limited mileage policies :)

Wobba
03-09-2009, 20:14
Problem solved bought a new valeo clutch from GSF at a cost of £82 and a gen Renault clutch cable £28 and Olton transmissions fitted it for £225 labour only. Little bit pricey but not many garages will even do the clutches on williams, had to ask about 5 garages!!! Just drove it back from the garage and it runs sweet. Still havent got insurance so It is still off the road for the moment :cry:

I had a similar problem with garages not wanting to touch the valver when the headgasket went on it, or quoting ridiculous money. Did it myself in the end and glad I did!

DaneC
03-09-2009, 20:31
I had this problem with a poorly routed clutch cable, just in case all else fails.

16v_paddy
03-09-2009, 22:37
I had GSF give me the wrong clutch :rant: just got to drop the engine back in now :roll:

cliokiz
07-09-2009, 17:01

I would have done it for half that!