PDA

View Full Version : Engine noise

Adi82
16-07-2009, 14:15
Ok finally thought I could see the light at the end of the tunnel after rebuilding the rear beam and refurbing the rear end on the clio. However last night I started the engine for the the 3rd time in the last month and let it warm up. (Its currently on axle stands with no wheels)

After 5 minutes of idleing I start to hear a very tappety like noise much louder than normal. I quickly checked the oil pressure which seemed normal. I turned the car off and checked the oil and coolant all which seemed fine couldn't see anything obviouse. Started the car back up again and the tapptey noise continued followed by some squealing. At that point I turned off the engine again. I then left it for half an hour before trying it again. This time it sounded normal even when reving it slightly.

Is my engine on its way out. Any ideas what it may be?

It has never missed a beat until this point but it has been off the road for over 3 months. I made sure to start it a couple of times a month to keep it running ok. Going to try it again later and see what happens.

Wobba
16-07-2009, 14:49
Only be frightened if its knocking. Probably just tappets if its not been run for a while. Squealing could be aux belt.

Coops
16-07-2009, 15:27
as above, could be tappets, but if it started after a while rather than immediatly and with there being a squeal, i'd guess the aux belt is on its last legs, new one is only a few quid so worth swapping

Adi82
16-07-2009, 20:13
panic over started it up now and it ran fine :D

Next step MOT on Saturday :(

Allan
16-07-2009, 21:09
sounds like you just had a sticky tappet or some dirty maybe found its way in...
squeel is deffo your aux belt