PDA

View Full Version : Fitting an in-car override fan switch,

The Raiderman
12-07-2005, 17:42
Thinking about fitting a switch in the dash to switch the fan on when i`m in traffic as temp goes sky high because fan doesn`t seem to come in till i switch the engine off,
Has anyone done this??
where will i have to wire it up to? and can i just bridge the fan switch to make it work or do i need to go from the alternator? and what amp wiring will i need??

Jabba the...
12-07-2005, 18:12
new fan switch possibly? 232bhp willy is that na or turbo?

VIPERONE
12-07-2005, 18:12
i *think* you wire power in to your switch via a fuse and take the negative off the actual wire to the fan

richy
12-07-2005, 18:17
ive done this mate

basicly u fit a switch in ya dash wereever u want, run a live from battery via a fuse 25amp iirc, to one side of switch then run that live back around from switch to the live on the fan wiring , no need to chop it off etc all ive done is tapped mine in and soldered it up, then run a extra earth from any earth point to the earth wire and there ya go!

total control of fan and mine still works on normal to lol

2 live
12-07-2005, 19:43
aye what he said ^^^^^^^^^ lol

did mine a while ago now....made loadsa diff lol

BenR
12-07-2005, 19:47
sounds like your temp switch is gone.

Never had a problem with mine going above 1/3.

The Raiderman
12-07-2005, 21:28
ive done this mate

basicly u fit a switch in ya dash wereever u want, run a live from battery via a fuse 25amp iirc, to one side of switch then run that live back around from switch to the live on the fan wiring , no need to chop it off etc all ive done is tapped mine in and soldered it up, then run a extra earth from any earth point to the earth wire and there ya go!

total control of fan and mine still works on normal to lol

Cool so let me get this straight, run a wire via 25amp fuse from battery to one of the terminals on the switch and then run a wire from the other terminal on the switch to the positive of the fan, where does the earth go??

richy
12-07-2005, 21:46
the earth goes from the earth side wire on the normal fan wiring, then to the nearest earth point , mine is bolted near the headlight, make sure u use a good grade wire not just normal 6 amp stuff lol!

its as simple as that! u can then turn it on or off whenevr u want

stan
12-07-2005, 21:50
just bridge the fan stwitch

sorry if this has already been said...havnt read all replies!

2 live
13-07-2005, 09:52
think its the diode prob tbh mate lol.fan isnt workin til ignition turned off

northy
13-07-2005, 10:00
make sure you remember to turn it off when u use it.

was out in the skoda last night and i left mine on and running...totally flat this morning when i went to start it - got the birds car outside my works now...lol