PDA

View Full Version : Powerflex bushes or similar - a word of caution!

cliokongen
11-07-2009, 22:19
I use my car a lot and drive it hard!
All most only do trackdays and the regular trip to The Ring.

Powerflex bushes really do stiffen up the geometry of our French baguette cars. So its all good! :D

A word of caution though!
When it says on the instructions to weld the bushes to the A-arms - DO IT!
Do not skip this point!

Believe me - I did not intend to skip this point - but time and other factors resulted in me not having it done..... unfortunately!

Result - Bushes working their way out of the A-arm
Making the car feel sluggish and imprecise.
Damage is no greater than i can fix the bushes - welding them properly this time. Damage to the sub frame is not critical.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f312/Cliokongen/Diverse/Bsning02Small.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f312/Cliokongen/Diverse/Bsning03Small.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f312/Cliokongen/Diverse/Bsning04Small.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f312/Cliokongen/Diverse/Bsning01Small.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f312/Cliokongen/Diverse/Bsning05Small.jpg

richy
11-07-2009, 22:24
yeah i think a few have only pressed them in and they have worked loose,

i welded mine in and havent had any issues yet. :)

Coops
13-07-2009, 11:41
i tack welded mine and the fronts popped all 3 welds, both sides, so weld them properly all the way round if possible, in the process of doing this on mine now

stan
13-07-2009, 13:32
How do you find them on track Michael? alot better than standard?

Allan
13-07-2009, 15:54
i have fitted them to my williams and now it seems to ride lower then standard :S

Not sure if they are fitted correctly though....

but i have standard shocks and springs and now my front wheels are in the arch's....

cliokongen
13-07-2009, 21:42

Not a lot better - but everything helps!
To be honest - I think the greatest difference most people feel is due to the fact they change old worn out bushes for brand new ones.
Personally for track use I would prefer something much stiffer.

Group A rosejointed A-arms would be nice - but i would have to rob a bank or two being able to afford that.

So i'm tinkering with the idea of using the stainless sleeves and inserts and having some nylon/(PA Polamid) bushes made up.
And strenghtening the A-arms and subframe.

It seems most of the manufacturors of polyurethane bushes does not recommend using nylon.
I'm not quite sure i understand why not to use this material.

Pro/cons for this idea?

MAXIBOY
13-07-2009, 22:16
Group A rosejointed A-arms would be nice - but i would have to rob a bank or two being able to afford that.

why not make some by modifying the existing arms..

stan
13-07-2009, 22:26

To be honest - I think the greatest difference most people feel is due to the fact they change old worn out bushes for brand new ones.

So i'm tinkering with the idea of using the stainless sleeves and inserts and having some nylon/(PA Polamid) bushes made up.

It seems most of the manufacturors of polyurethane bushes does not recommend using nylon.

Pro/cons for this idea?

Not sure how well nylon would take the loads to be honest. Phosphor Bronze might be better.

Im making some jigs for tubular wishbones, which will be rose-jointed, for my race car. They will be to suit a tubular subframe though, which will have the pick-up points in a different position to standard.
I could have a bash at knocking some to fit std pick-up points though if you were intreated in a set?

Did your rad parts arrive?

cliokongen
13-07-2009, 22:44

Pro/cons for this idea?

Not sure how well nylon would take the loads to be honest. Phosphor Bronze might be better.

Im making some jigs for tubular wishbones, which will be rose-jointed, for my race car. They will be to suit a tubular subframe though, which will have the pick-up points in a different position to standard.
I could have a bash at knocking some to fit std pick-up points though if you were intreated in a set?

Did your rad parts arrive?

Being Phosphor Bronze they would be sort of "self lubricating ".....
I would definately be tempted in a set.
I'm probably not the only one. :twisted:

You've got mail Craig.....

cliokongen
13-07-2009, 22:45

why not make some by modifying the existing arms..

Simple answer.... I'm an idiot at welding! :D