PDA

View Full Version : steering column change

busterhymes
10-07-2009, 20:36
got the above to change on my williams any tips on best way to get the job done any SENSIBLE advice appreciated :wink: :D

cliokiz
13-07-2009, 11:17
Not too difficult, the only thing you'll struggle with is getting the pinch bolt undone that bolts the column to the rack.

Pull up the rubber boot in the footwell and get a spanner in there.

Once you've undone that, take off the steering wheel, take off the plastics around the column, unplug the ignition barrel, there's 4 x 13mm bolts (i think) that bolt the column in, and then you should be able to lift it out.

When you refit, there's a little tab that hooks onto a piece of plastic (again, i think, been a while!), make sure this is fitted right before you bolt it all back into place.

Hope that helps.

busterhymes
13-07-2009, 13:40
thx for that had the basic idea but tip to undoin pinch bolt inside car is better than rolling around under car so thx :)

Allan
13-07-2009, 15:49
yes they are 13mm, and pinch bolt is 10mm, steering wheel is a t50 (if standard) else its a big bolt from older models.

Not sure on the surounds they are smaller torx screws

Allan
13-07-2009, 15:53
also make sure when you refit that you get the column back in the hook at the bottom and in front of the metal mount in the middle.

Else i will still work but just be lose...

Dont worry about dropping the nut and bolt from the bottom either as they will just fall into the rubber bung and can be pushed out (will drop on to the floor or subframe under the car) or picked up from inside.

Remember to check which side has the flat spot on when you put it back together as the pinch bolt will only fit 1 way into the column and only go past the flat spot

busterhymes
13-07-2009, 16:04
cant have enough info :D

busterhymes
17-07-2009, 12:24
thx to all who helped with advice job done and steering so much sharper the vagueness has gone all together i am well pleased with the results, next job replacing the track rods/track rod ends as inboard joints worn so that should be fun

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL :D :D

cliokiz
17-07-2009, 13:44
:wink: