PDA

View Full Version : Fibreglass parts - quick questions

simonr85
09-07-2009, 11:41
Been looking at getting a fibreglass bonnet and boot for when get my car resprayed but just wondered a few things:

a) if i was to get a poly carb window in the bootlid how secure are they from people trying to break in, and does the poly carb windows look like glass or can you tell there plastic??

b) how strong are the fixings for both the bonnet and boot?? ie. do the bonnets need bonnet pins??? as i wouldnt want them on my car just an OE look, and has anyone had 1 blow up in the wind, i dont know if this is possible with the way the bonnet opens on the clios

c) how much weight would i save from a bonnet, and boot with poly carb window over OE parts??

Dave Peach
09-07-2009, 11:55
You could rip off a fibreglass boot in about 10 seconds. There is zero security.

webby
09-07-2009, 11:58
You could rip off a fibreglass boot in about 10 seconds. There is zero security.

lol at that comment..... if a thief was to as u put it "rip off" a fiber glass boot,
would he not just smash a window???

seems alot to go through when most cars have glass to smash instead?

seems to me that a light weight boot is as secure as a normal 1!

webby
09-07-2009, 11:59
excuse my spelling of fibre*

oh and as for goin light weight... :doit:

Dave Peach
09-07-2009, 12:01

lol at that comment..... if a thief was to as u put it "rip off" a fiber glass boot,

So why lock your car if theives can just smash a window then? I take it you keep your car unlocked at all times?

Coops
09-07-2009, 12:02
flexible panels and windows mean pretty much zero security. i dont park mine anywhere dodgy at all for any period of time, and i remove the ecu when i leave it. interior is stripped tho so really nothing to nick bar the entire car, which isnt going anywhere without the ecu.

Dave Peach
09-07-2009, 12:04
Been looking at getting a fibreglass bonnet and boot for when get my car resprayed but just wondered a few things:

a) if i was to get a poly carb window in the bootlid how secure are they from people trying to break in, and does the poly carb windows look like glass or can you tell there plastic??

b) how strong are the fixings for both the bonnet and boot?? ie. do the bonnets need bonnet pins??? as i wouldnt want them on my car just an OE look, and has anyone had 1 blow up in the wind, i dont know if this is possible with the way the bonnet opens on the clios

c) how much weight would i save from a bonnet, and boot with poly carb window over OE parts??

Running fibreglass on a road car is stupid. The fibreglass will crack from daily use. The bonnet (if a skin) will leak. Its a hassel taking the bonnet off to check the oil.

The boot wont be that much lighter than a metal one.

Hassel on a dedicated track car. Total waste of time on a road car.

Take the money and buy an ultra lightweight kevlar seat instead.

webby
09-07-2009, 12:05

So why lock your car if theives can just smash a window then? I take it you keep your car unlocked at all times?

no, i lock my car every time i get out of it.

i was just answering this chaps question on the security of fibreglass panels.

a lock is a visual deterant m8. aswell as my alarm sensors and immobiliser :)

Dave Peach
09-07-2009, 12:08

no, i lock my car every time i get out of it.

i was just answering this chaps question on the security of fibreglass panels.

a lock is a visual deterant m8. aswell as my alarm sensors and immobiliser :)

You just critisised my comment about ripping open a fibreglass tailgate in 10 seconds. Your argument was they would just smash a window,

You then state something about a lock is a visual deterent.

This is just rambling nonsense.

What actual point are you making?

webby
09-07-2009, 12:13
my point is... as for security of fibreglass panels, if a thief was to approach his car as it is they would put a window through, with fibreglass panels they would still put a window through.

so this answers his question on security.

and u have bought other points up in respect of practicality for him!

both being relevant i feel

Dave Peach
09-07-2009, 12:20
my point is... as for security of fibreglass panels, if a thief was to approach his car as it is they would put a window through, with fibreglass panels they would still put a window through.

so this answers his question on security.

and u have bought other points up in respect of practicality for him!

both being relevant i feel

Have you ever tried to smash a side window on a clio? You dont think its noisey, messy and draws attention to the thief?

Easier to lift the boot up no? Looks like you might even own the car to a passer by.

If i was a theif i know which i would do.

webby
09-07-2009, 12:22
na they dont have the brains to notice its fibreglass.

if u were a thief? i heard bum bandit but not thief?

Evogone
09-07-2009, 12:36

Poo thief... :wink:

Dave Peach
09-07-2009, 12:52

I see you construct arguments like a fool, and then when you lose resort to childish name calling.

Nice one.

Evogone
09-07-2009, 12:56

I see you construct arguments like a fool, and then when you lose resort to childish name calling.

Nice one.

Glass houses.....ladyboy

webby
09-07-2009, 12:57

Nice one.

re-read my point a few posts ago.... i think u will find i did not "lose" an argument. i gave my views and feel they are relevant.

nout wrong with a lil name calling :P

Dave Peach
09-07-2009, 12:58

Nice one.

re-read my point a few posts ago.... i think u will find i did not "lose" an argument. i gave my views and feel they are relevant.

nout wrong with a lil name calling :P

Ill take that as consent then you twat.

webby
09-07-2009, 13:00
yeah why not =0

busterhymes
09-07-2009, 13:11
if someone wants something lets face it they will, fibreglass or steel :roll:

simonr85
09-07-2009, 13:11
lol this is funny, cheers for your input webby and coops, not a bad idea about the ecu plus i have a fuel cut off switch too

whats the crack with the bonnets off fastcarspares then??? are they fixed??? or can they still be attached to the original hinges and open like normal clio bonnet??

simonr85
09-07-2009, 13:12
oh and is it easy to tell difference between glass and plastic rear windows???

webby
09-07-2009, 13:15
oh and is it easy to tell difference between glass and plastic rear windows???

after a short period they become hazy and yeah i guess its easy m8

webby
09-07-2009, 13:16
if someone wants something lets face it they will, fibreglass or steel :roll:

that was pretty much what i was tryin to say lol. just went the long way round i guess

busterhymes
09-07-2009, 13:24
never mind m8 got there in the end :wink: :D

2 live
09-07-2009, 14:03
and the glass bonnets can fly off. ask martin. his came off down the mway n wrote off chris' cup behind him.