PDA

View Full Version : Gear Problems. . . .

SeanClio
08-07-2009, 10:38
my car will not go into 3rd, 4th, or 5th gear, but will go in reverse, 1st and 2nd. My mate got all gears yesterday, put everything back together then lost them AGAIN!

Any ideas on what is wrong? Garage told me gearbox is nackered but how come it can go into all gears sometimes? and also at the minute, 1st and 2nd gear seems to be in middle, where 3rd and 4th should be, and reverse is where 1st should be lol.

Sorry about confusion but i only have till 6pm to fix it then i'm going to buy a different car but really want to keep my valver :cry: :cry:

Laine_16v
08-07-2009, 11:09
Your linkage sounds like it needs a lot of adjustment.

Your gearbox isnt "****ed" though lol

Coops
08-07-2009, 11:15
ai sounds like linkage issues

SeanClio
08-07-2009, 11:31
ok mate will try again soon, anything i may need to change?

Coops
08-07-2009, 11:34
shouldnt do mate no, just get the linkage adjusted correctly

schakal
08-07-2009, 11:51
there is a great guide about this on clio16yo.co.uk :D

SeanClio
08-07-2009, 12:07
think website down at minute, can't get on :)

cliokiz
08-07-2009, 12:19
Yeah the hosting provider appears to be having some issues it seems :evil:

If you want a quick easy fix, get a new linkage from a different car that hasn't been adjusted, then just unbolt your old one, bolt the new one on, job done.

cliokiz
08-07-2009, 12:19
You can get the linkage from ANY mk1 clio, so just go to a scrappy and have a dig!

SeanClio
08-07-2009, 13:08
Think mate has one from a 1.2 but didn't know they were all the same lol :D:D:D

cliokiz
08-07-2009, 15:12
99.9% sure they are :)

SeanClio
08-07-2009, 16:33
ahh nvm guys, mate didnt turn up, think im just going to buy the punto :(:( will defo get a valver in future :D

cliokiz
08-07-2009, 16:57
^ sell your valver to me for cheap then, i'll fix it and sell it on.

schakal
08-07-2009, 17:30
think website down at minute, can't get on :)

never mind ,that guide was written by laine iirc .
its got to be sheet :D

SeanClio
08-07-2009, 17:55
If i get this punto i think i'll break my clio, can pm me offers for parts, we'll see tonight :D!!!

SeanClio
08-07-2009, 17:55
^ lmao

If i get this punto i think i'll break my clio, can pm me offers for parts, we'll see tonight :D!!!

SeanClio
08-07-2009, 17:56
^ lmao

If i get this punto i think i'll break my clio, can pm me offers for parts, we'll see tonight :D!!

Wobba
08-07-2009, 18:47
If you managed to get all gears when taking it apart then it is simply a matter of sorting the gear linkage. The way you do it is by slightly twisting the end of the gear link where it is clamped onto the selector arm. It's under a rubber gaitor.

Yes, it is fiddly and it will take a while before you suss out how to get it spot on, but once you do...np np. Just make sure you only twist it by tiny degrees at a time and use your brain on figuring out which way you need to twist it depending on what gears you can get.

If you can only get the gears to the left, you will need to twist the linkage under the car anti clockwise if you are facing forwards. Only twist it about 1mm at first, reclamp the linkage, get back in the car and try the gears. You'll be surprised how such a tiny change can make a big difference, so dont go mad turning it. Rinse and repeat till you get it right then job done.

Also, check your dogbone mount for wear. If worn, it will mess up your gear selector as the engine can move with the box too much.

16v_paddy
04-08-2009, 02:09
Bumping this so it's easier to find when i need it in the morning, otherwise I'll be putting a match to my car :roll:

cliokiz
04-08-2009, 09:31
Paddy you big gay bear, whats up?

16v_paddy
04-08-2009, 18:42
Paddy you big gay bear, whats up?

:lol:

Nothing, just need to know how to adjust the linkage as I can't get 5th or reverse on my new box & short shifter

Justin..
04-08-2009, 19:42
have you got the bit on the box aswell or just the in car lever?

16v_paddy
04-08-2009, 19:46
have you got the bit on the box aswell or just the in car lever?

Got both, but after reading other peoples experience decided not to use the bit on the box

I had to remove the bit with the rubber boot on from my old box as the new one didn't have it

Yanoo_
04-08-2009, 21:59
Although it's not my short shifter but I use a similar small gear linkage in my kit.
My gear linkage (the rubber boot and gearbox invisible in this figure):

http://www.fw.hu/yanooka/kepek/szerelt.jpg

Well, if you cannot select 5th and reverse, check the following:
1, disengage the gear linkage
2, leave the small gear rod in its place
3, select 5th or reverse by hand and try to turn the small gear linkage around its axis (red arrow in this figure):
http://www.fw.hu/yanooka/kepek/magyarazo.jpg

If you can turn this small rod easily the dimension of this part is perfect. You must reset/adjust the (long) linkage.

In that case if you cannot turn this small rod then the diameter of its bigger ball is wrong (should be under 20.02 mm). 19.98-20.00 mm gives the best result (not sloppy and not tight).

Hope I could help you.

16v_paddy
04-08-2009, 22:08
The pics are a big help, when you say adjust the long linkage, do you mean the big thing attached to the gearstick, and do you mean try it at different lengths along the little shaft (the brown/beige bit in the pics?

Yanoo_
04-08-2009, 22:25
The pics are a big help, when you say adjust the long linkage, do you mean the big thing attached to the gearstick, and do you mean try it at different lengths along the little shaft (the brown/beige bit in the pics?

Yes, I do (different lengths AND angles). Wobba has already written about this in this topic but he has a longer, very good writing in other topic.

cliokiz
05-08-2009, 12:43
WOW!

They are awesome diagrams Yanoo!

16v_paddy
05-08-2009, 18:53
Right, I've been a plank & given up on this for the day :oops:

I can get 3rd, 4th & 5th gear but got pissed off trying this on my own so gave up for a bit.

So to get 1st, 2nd & reverse do I still need to be faffing around with the long linkage?

Yanoo_
06-08-2009, 21:51
WOW!

Thanks mate! :approve:

16V_paddy: If the small gear linkage works well you should reset the long linkage. Ask Wobba for instructions he has same shifter. I do not know this type.

16v_paddy
06-08-2009, 23:07
WOW!

Thanks mate! :approve:

16V_paddy: If the small gear linkage works well you should reset the long linkage. Ask Wobba for instructions he has same shifter. I do not know this type.

Already sorted it mate :D thanks

Having problems with the clutch cable now :roll:

Wobba
06-08-2009, 23:19
Right, I've been a plank & given up on this for the day :oops:

I can get 3rd, 4th & 5th gear but got pissed off trying this on my own so gave up for a bit.

So to get 1st, 2nd & reverse do I still need to be faffing around with the long linkage?

Mate, I had the same problem when fiddling with mine. I left it as yours is for a day and tried the next day...and after 3 hours...voila!

As I have said previously, make sure the dogbone mount is in good nick or else the engine/box can rock back and forth too much and with it jacked up wont position ideally (as it will mean the gear link gets pushed back a bit).

You have to look at the mechanical motion of the gearstick > linkage > small linkage > box.

Once you have this figured out just adjust the clevis bar (the criss-crossed end which is bolted on to the the long gear linkage) by tiny increments. The length of the bar is not as important, but try and get it about how it used to be before you undid it.

Marking the clevis bar with tippex or something and the linkage helps a lot. It gives you a guide on where you've already trodden if you need to start over.

I THINK from memory you need to twist the clevis bar (fiddly, but the markings will help you!) clockwise inside the linkage sleeve if you are looking toward the back of the car. Only do it a millimetre at first, you may not even need that. Tighten the clamp bolt back up tightish and just in car to test it each time.

Good luck, and may the force be with you!