PDA

View Full Version : Rotten Sill

wrighty
02-07-2009, 22:27
Bought the car a while ago and thought as it had a new MOT all would be ok so made the fatal mistake of assuming all would be well with major rust. Imagine my shock when jacking car up to take alternator off I found this:

I cannot believe this was missed by MOT tester as it has not just happened and f***ing furious with myself for not spotting it and walking away.

It is the sill just behing drivers front wing, is it sensibly salvageable? Has anyone any experience on replacing sills on these.

If too bad it will have to be broken as cannot afford to dump too much money into it. It was never bought to make money but what with the other niggles getting sorted it is all mounting up quickly. It really is a shame as it is the straightest of the 3 very little evidence of any major works being carried out.

fasterthanjesus
03-07-2009, 06:04
whatever you do, dont look at the inner arch liners.

or behind the front grill.

the sills cost me 700 notes for both sides, for a proper job. thats both inner and outer on both sides.

its a 14 year old car that needs some 14 year old attention. expect the repairs to last - as long as its kept out of the wet.

its worth the expense.

vkosho
03-07-2009, 18:05
Hi, ive just found a hole in my sill in the centre at the bottom. Its been repaired badly before at the rear so im looking to replace the whole thing on the drivers side.

Ive heard of people cutting the sills off newer mk1 clios and also people having them made from scratch. Im also interested in what the best options are and how much work in involved.

Can anyone shed some light??

MAXIBOY
03-07-2009, 18:21
new sills are 20 quid..

vkosho
03-07-2009, 20:10
new sills are 20 quid..

u kiddin?

where from?

Wobba
04-07-2009, 01:05
http://www.nicedeals.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=1_230_508&products_id=3434&osCsid=086cb1a2c969c931d60cc10cc559d610

Check they fit first, but should be fine.

col
04-07-2009, 15:21
Dont get to dispondant ive just had a repair done to my neaside rear sill a hole i could get three fingers in.........cost me £30 ....even wobba didnt notice it at the FCS an i was parked next to him.... :lol:

Mind you it was probably my newlly refurbed wheels that was blindin him :lol:

vkosho
04-07-2009, 15:34
Has anyone bought one of these 20quid sills? They seem so unbelievably cheap. How much works involved in cutting and welding?

They sell rear arches for 18quid too! Cheers for the link guys.

robi1000
20-09-2009, 14:59
Any info on these?

Wobba
21-09-2009, 09:18
Pretty sure people have bought them. It's not the sills that are expensive, it's the work...welding, and paint. Not sure if there is a zinc plating process or something to help stop rust...I'll look into it when I do mine!

Coops
21-09-2009, 11:08
sills cost nowt, as said its the labour involved in rust chasing once the outer sills off, re-welding new metal, then fitting new out sill, paint, etc,etc

beevers autopanels also sell repair panels for mk 1's

LEIGH-ANNE
21-09-2009, 16:06
Ive had my sills sorted. I payed £150 for about a foot of sill to be welded in and welded up nicely. There are pics in my main thread (leighannes williams)

Actually buying the sills are the easy bit. Finding a good welder and a good sprayer are the hard bits. I took mine to 2 different people to get the finished job i wanted. But worth it!

schakal
21-09-2009, 17:24
best to ask daz tbh , im the offical expert on body rape-airs :D :wink:

cliokiz
21-09-2009, 17:50
had a made weld a large patch on my will, from the bottom of the rear arch to the edge of the passenger door.

Didn't take him long to do it and i just sprayed it black (car is black) using some hammerite sealant stuff.

Looks ok, and it'll do until i get them done properly. Didn't cost me much.

Used the beevers auto panels repair sill, although the only thing they're missing is the little holes for the OE jack to fit in.

robi1000
21-09-2009, 19:14
Well, I will respray the whole car anyway so no worries there... How much are original sills from Renault?