PDA

View Full Version : Acceleration increases with speed

GabrielKnight
29-06-2009, 14:14
My Williams doesn't seem to accelerate all that quickly in 1st / 2nd gear - not so much more than my 1.2L really. However, by the 4th gear it seems to find its power and accelerates really quickly.

Is this a usual experience or is my mapping / driving wrong?

Winston
29-06-2009, 14:17
I say maybe the wrong gearbox?

Wobba
29-06-2009, 14:21
Need to get another Willy owner. Could be you have another issue that's dropping power.

personally, I'd replace the entire engine to be sure, but that's just me.

Purple
29-06-2009, 14:32
Might be having too much flow in the exhaust system, if the exhaust had been modified.

AndyFielder
29-06-2009, 15:09
is it not more of a fueling issue.... running to rich at low speeds?

got a silly induction kit on it?

Coops
29-06-2009, 15:35
Need to get another Willy owner. Could be you have another issue that's dropping power.

bloody hell wobb, bit extreme aint it! :shock: :lol:

AndyFielder
29-06-2009, 15:45
love how coops comes crawling back noy clio16valver is down :P ;)

GabrielKnight
29-06-2009, 15:47
Don't get me wrong, its still fairly fast on the take-off, but its not like the acceleration that pushes my back to the seat in 4th and 5th. I wondered if it was because its a 16v compared to the 8v I'm used to.

midge
29-06-2009, 18:00
when i drove it it pulled just the way a williams should, unless somethings changed i think its jsut you getting used to the speed mate.

rob-legend
29-06-2009, 18:03

bloody hell wobb, bit extreme aint it! :shock: :lol:

:lol: i thought that too

GabrielKnight
29-06-2009, 18:14
when i drove it it pulled just the way a williams should, unless somethings changed i think its jsut you getting used to the speed mate.

Cool, thanks

Coops
29-06-2009, 19:53
love how coops comes crawling back noy clio16valver is down :P ;)

on here most daytimes mate as kiddyvalver is websensed out at work, wc aint :P

AndyFielder
30-06-2009, 09:05
woop :P

Tommo
30-06-2009, 11:41
My Williams doesn't seem to accelerate all that quickly in 1st / 2nd gear - not so much more than my 1.2L really. However, by the 4th gear it seems to find its power and accelerates really quickly.

Is this a usual experience or is my mapping / driving wrong?

To be honest it should feel faster, 1st and 2nd in mine is insane, to the point where I usually skip 1st and go for 2nd when flooring it. It does point to a problem imo, I'd get a full service done, get the filters cleaned/replaced, new spark plugs & leads, run through an injector cleaner, see if this resolves the problem. Engine transplant is a little OTT at this point! lol

GabrielKnight
30-06-2009, 11:55
It did something funny in 2nd this morning too. I floored it in 2nd to overtake a BMW doing 25mph. Just as I was overtaking, by now with high revs, getting ready to change to 3rd, the car chugged, suddenly losing power a couple of times within a second. It's a good job there was nothing coming the other way.

AndyFielder
30-06-2009, 12:01
sounds like a fueling problem to me. I had this just before i emptyed my fuel ank over the engine bay and calmly said to the gf i think you should get out of the car and run away with me!

... didnt catch fire. now fitted with braided hoses!

Wobba
30-06-2009, 12:12
Hehehe, maybe changing engine is a bit extreme, but I'd do it all the same just to be sure :D Gearbox too of course.

eternalife
01-07-2009, 16:58
Could be heatsoak - responsiveness of the william's in the small engine bay suffers in hot weather.
Are you using the standard OEM Air box? or induction crap?
Could be worthwhile changing the air filter element if it has not been done so recently.

Car 'chugging' or misfiring slightly - check for oil in plug wells - cam cover gasket.

Get it to a meet and ask others to help you diagnose.