PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Bearing Death Questions

Coops
25-06-2009, 11:56
right i'm getting the hum of a bearing on its way out, but checked all 4 corners and theres no obvious wobble in any of the wheels, nothing nada nip nowt etc etc

when i go round right hand bends the noise is worse, would this indicate passenger side as the issue or drivers? as in will the noise get worse when you load up or unload the knackered bearing?

cheers

Ben

Allan
25-06-2009, 12:01
IIRC it should get worse when you load it up, so going around a round about would increase the noise if its on the passenger side.

summeh
25-06-2009, 12:26
noise should increase when you load the bearing up... i.e. cornering. so like you say, turning right loads the passenger side up.

If its just started then you won't feel any play by checking the wheel.

Laine_16v
25-06-2009, 12:40
Knackered bearings dont neccesarily have to have loads of play in them. Ive seen some that sound awful, but have had no play.

DaneC
25-06-2009, 12:41
I have just found out all my wheel weights have fallen off my passenger wheel and the bearing is now on its way out :evil:

Noise definitely starts before play can be felt.

Coops
25-06-2009, 14:53
thats encouraging then i think, i'll change the badger on saturday and pray it sorts it, 20 quid a bloody pop on this supposedly cheap polo :evil: