PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox Leaks / Overhaul

wrighty
23-06-2009, 23:15
In amongst the list of things to do is sort a suspected gearbox leak!

Box is fine with no crunches or whines and leek aint too bad, looks like it is leaking but it may just be engine oil. Either way when I eventually take engine out I would like to clean off and replace all seals in the box, is this a tough job?

Thanks for any advice.

vkosho
23-06-2009, 23:39
Im pretty sure the only places your box can leak is either through the drain hole, driveshaft inputs, or through the inner case gasket seal. all of which should be an easy(ish) fix and wouldn't require overhaul. Especialy if your box seems to work and select ok.

My engine has a few minor oil leaks which i thought were gearbox related but im pretty sure its the crank end bearing which causes oil to leak from between where the crankcase meets the gearbox. The sump/crankcase seal seems to be leaking slightly too. Im not totaly 100% on this though.

The leaks seem very minor and dont drip at all. I clean them off and they will re-appear over about a week. My current solution is keeping the levels topped up and save up for a bottom end rebuild. :D

Coops
24-06-2009, 00:19
can also leak from where selector goes into box, but thats not possible to stop, they did that from the factory, hence the drip tray

also can leak from 5th gear end cap, new seal is available from renault to sort that

vkosho
24-06-2009, 01:13
yeh, forgot about the selector as well. pretty poor show from renault as per.

Coops
24-06-2009, 13:40
poor design from the outset, flippin selector right at the very bottom of the box, erm what does gravity do again mr renault designer :roll: :lol: