PDA

View Full Version : Piston Rings On A Mondeo 1.8 LX 2001...

1995clio16v
09-06-2009, 19:28
Yes, guys sorry, dirty words used here etc..

Piston rings are done for on my mondeo 1.8LX 2001, pretty gutted tbh.

Can someone give an estimated time in hours for this job to be done?

Garages as usual quoting telephone numbers....

1995clio16v
09-06-2009, 19:40
Does anyone know whether I can do it by removing the sump etc, as ive read it can be done this way, yet also had conflicting stories of head off etc...

Justin..
09-06-2009, 19:43
surley it would be cheaper to just drop another lump in ??

1995clio16v
09-06-2009, 19:50
Ive been looking justin, talking 300+ for an engine and chancing it will be a runner....

col
09-06-2009, 19:53
I agree with Justin....cheap engines drop another zetec in £80 to £100, i was thinkin of one to go in a kit car 8)

col
09-06-2009, 19:57
£300.......who,s fittin it?

a guy round the corner from me bought one for £100 dropped it into a westfield he added throttle bodies that was it,seviced it and away he went! :)

1995clio16v
09-06-2009, 20:04
The £300 was for a duratec, looked myself on ebay.

But does anyone know of a time scale on that job, rings?

I just want to get it done and sell it.

Think we'd all agree it would be easier to sell with original engine!? :shock:

Justin..
09-06-2009, 20:06
pah know one will know :lol:

midge
09-06-2009, 20:36
labour to do rings will cost a hell of alot, if its done through the bottom i'd say your looking at something like 15hours, if its engine out thenn its gonne be 20ish? just a guess. get another engine.

col
10-06-2009, 18:19
An you cant rely on rings especially if youve a ridge at the top of cylinders....broken rihgs again :(

Yea duratecs a bit more expensive :shock:

replace engine or plan on a rebuild

regards col

bbaazz-08
10-06-2009, 23:52
its head off and they are done from the top as the rings have to be compressed on their way into the cylinder

1995clio16v
11-06-2009, 00:28
Cheers for all advice guys.

Its all helped for sure.

I definately wont be buying a new engine, too expensive.

Sought a bit more advice today, apparently these are prone to the breather valve (maybe a pipe) on the crankcase blocking up, thus giving the impression that you have worn piston rings, smoky oily deposits, so fingers crossed it could be this! :shock:

Gonna check tomorra.

Knew I shouldve put some new tyres and 12months tax on the 16V!! Lol! :roll:

1995clio16v
13-07-2009, 19:16
Is there any chance whatsoever the pulley on he crankshaft could be a left hand thread? Anyone know?

This is the tightest thing we have ever tried undoing, period.

Tried heating it, 4ft bar on ratchet...it aint going anywhere...

col
13-07-2009, 19:33
Most cars ive removed crank pulley have been RIGHT HAND thread ,that includes fordsss .

What are you stopping the engine from turning with?

1995clio16v
13-07-2009, 19:39
We can get a good purchase with a screwdriver in the clutch plate end. Totally stops it from moving, but the pulley bolt just aint budging....we just thought maybe its a left hand thread but maybe its not....running outta ideas.

There is a special tool to jam the pulley at the pulley end, but theres no reason to buy it as we have stopped the engine from turning...

1995clio16v
13-07-2009, 19:42
Although im now resigned to the idea of having to buy a c/shaft pulley holder thingy...this is the only thing I can think of now...

col
13-07-2009, 19:44
You need to give it a sharp rap!.....clout your ratchet handle , what have you with a hammer if you can get at it

Alternatetly have you got a bit of scaffold pole to extend your handle. I know they can be bastards! to shift. :(

1995clio16v
13-07-2009, 20:03
Cheers col, but giving it a hard fast rap for sure I dont think will do anything.

Step dad has 40 years of messing with motors and he said he's never seen anything as tight.

We have decided to have a tool made up as its just no good jamming it at the flywheel end. Crank just twists and theres no purchase to get it off.

Nightmare! Never buying a ford again!

sideways danny
13-07-2009, 20:30
this is why impact guns were invented

number1
22-07-2009, 21:19
As Dan Said you'll need an impact gun, there right hand thread, if its been Buzzed up with an impact gun you can try all you like with a Breaker bar, Even worse if someones got handy with loctite!

I struggled for over an hour changing my Cambelt on my hybrid with just the bottom pulley, i forgot i had buzzed it up putting the engine in, had to ring my uncle who had a cordless one, took him half a second to undo it ;)

1995clio16v
23-07-2009, 00:35
Hi mate.

Yeah, got my next door neighbour to make a pulley tool up. He's a welder. Got it off in 2mins. 3 prongs to fit in the holes of pulley on a big **** off handle. Jamming the crank at flywheel end was a no go. Crank was taking up all the twist. 2 nights of trying this way all to waste!

Trouble is trying to use a gun with the engine still in is impossible! They say clio 16v's are hard to work on. This pile of shite wasnt much easier tbh!

Thanks for all the small input guys, all up and running tonight.

Exactly 2 weeks work for 16 valve seals @ less than a fiver for the lot! Saved a lot on garage labour though!

8)

col
23-07-2009, 18:20
Glad you sussed it, Im considering a zetec for a kit car project . Ill take pulley off with engine on stand....thanks for the sweaty tips :lol:

u33db
24-07-2009, 13:16
Cheers for all advice guys.

Its all helped for sure.

I definately wont be buying a new engine, too expensive.

Sought a bit more advice today, apparently these are prone to the breather valve (maybe a pipe) on the crankcase blocking up, thus giving the impression that you have worn piston rings, smoky oily deposits, so fingers crossed it could be this! :shock:

Gonna check tomorra.

Knew I shouldve put some new tyres and 12months tax on the 16V!! Lol! :roll:

While you're at it check your inlet manifold.

Prefacelift mk3 duratec inlets have butterflies inside wheich are prone to eating their bushes and becoming detached. The broken parts can then enter the head resulting in bent valves etc/engine destruction.

http://www.fordmondeo.org/forum/showtopic.php?tid/777251/

New inlets are about 150 for the part but you can modify the inlet to remove the butterflies and save any expense.

They typically fail from 90k onwards so this may be of interest if you're a high miler or want to keep the car for a while.

Mine was on its way out but i sold it for a diesel before it became a problem...thank god!

2 live
24-07-2009, 13:48
As Dan Said you'll need an impact gun, there right hand thread, if its been Buzzed up with an impact gun you can try all you like with a Breaker bar, Even worse if someones got handy with loctite!

I struggled for over an hour changing my Cambelt on my hybrid with just the bottom pulley, i forgot i had buzzed it up putting the engine in, had to ring my uncle who had a cordless one, took him half a second to undo it ;)

why dint u wedge the breaker bar against the floor and turn the engine over? would have freed the pulley bolt instantly, only takes a little click of the ignition.