PDA

View Full Version : any impreza drivers on here past and present???

FATBOY
07-06-2009, 16:23
need some advice and would like to know peoples experiences.. :D

summeh
07-06-2009, 16:29
need some advice and would like to know peoples experiences.. :D

wobba used to have one.

common as muck nowadays unfortunately.

FATBOY
07-06-2009, 16:42
got to be a P1 i wouldnt have anything else!!

wrighty
07-06-2009, 17:23
I had one a few years ago!

As far as a driving experience goes it was superb but not suited to long journeys as it would drink petrol, not the most comfortable and with most stainless exhausts a little loud!

Only sold as the better half passed her test!

FATBOY
07-06-2009, 18:33
juicy i could full well expect.... what was reliability like??? were services expensive??

wrighty
07-06-2009, 18:43
I got to know mine very well, not long after I bought it was showing signs of a mis fire, eventually narrowed down to the woodruff key!

At some stage it had the front pulley off and had not been tightened enough so had come loose causing it to vibrate and the groove in the crank became rounded off!

One new crank later and all new internals including pistons bearings at a cost of 1500 squid all done!

The car itself I sold with 150k miles on it in the end and I have seen it come up for sale twice since and been very tempted to try and buy it back. By all accounts still going very strong!

The parts are not cheap as I bought direct from Subaru (UK car) but if looked after they will last well. I know headgaskets can be a problem and the cambelts aint cheap (circa 80+ just for the belt!).

Most problems tend to be caused by poor maintanence and wrong oil meaning the pump does not work as effectively.

What does seem apparent now though is that as the market has been flooded with imports etc spares are easier to come by. On the original cars and the front fogs were glass and very prone to stones smashing them, another not cheap item. On the facelifts prior to the bugeye they used perspex lights. Not the best headlights for a rapid car at night either.

From my personal expensive experience get one that is backed with a robust documented history in an ettempt to limit the unexpected wallet killers!

rob-legend
07-06-2009, 18:49

not even a 22b? :shock:

FATBOY
07-06-2009, 18:52
lol if i could afford a 22B i would have one of them.... lol

rob-legend
07-06-2009, 18:56
:lol: yeah generally the case

FATBOY
07-06-2009, 18:57
cheers for the advice wrighty :D

wrighty
07-06-2009, 19:07
Happy to help, I am going to be hammering this forum for advice myself after getting my williams 3! Nice to be able to contribute in return.

rob-legend
07-06-2009, 19:12
technical help is your friend :P

wrighty
07-06-2009, 19:18
Looking like financial help is going to be my first friend!!!!!

2 live
07-06-2009, 20:59

would u not even consider an RA spec ??

lighter, adj diff etc ;)

ianbirch
07-06-2009, 21:14
Hi Fatboy,

Since 1999 I have owned 3 Imprezas.... 2 classic shape and the 2005
model I currently own. I preferred the classic shape over the newer model but for various reasons I wanted a new one in 2005 and of course there were no classics left.

None of mine have been high mileage, although all 3 did numerous trips to the South of France ( 700 plus miles door to door ). This journey was often achieved in one long day, fully loaded with kids and kitchen sink. I totally disagree with wrighty and say they are the most comfortable cars I have owned, with a totally natural driving position and great seats
( I'm 5' 11" ).

I can't comment to much on reliability as I don't do high miles..... current one is on 11000 miles. The air con did fail on the second classic whilst on holiday in a very hot South of France.

Overall driving experience is great..... all mine have been standard power, classics were official UK models, the 2005 model was purchased from Motorpoint in wales for £15,600 new and if you send the cars details to International Motors you get a 3 year warranty as well.

I could go on about them for ever but I will spare you.

Cheers Ian

wrighty
07-06-2009, 21:24
I totally disagree with wrighty and say they are the most comfortable cars I have owned, with a totally natural driving position and great seats
( I'm 5' 11" ).

Perhaps I was unfortunate that it did not suit me! I personally felt drained at the end of a 350 mile trip. This may be attributed to that it was slightly modified (suspension wheels etc).

I loved the sound of the boxer engine but with the stainless exhaust it got a bit much on a long journey. I would get another without doubt if I could find a well priced classic, the problems with mine were simply down to poor maintanence.

FATBOY
07-06-2009, 21:53

lighter, adj diff etc ;)

im not really up to scratch on my imprezas, but was the P1 the only model they done in 2 door?? i dont want a 4 door FAMILY saloon just yet :wink:

ianbirch
07-06-2009, 22:00
I totally disagree with wrighty and say they are the most comfortable cars I have owned, with a totally natural driving position and great seats
( I'm 5' 11" ).

Perhaps I was unfortunate that it did not suit me! I personally felt drained at the end of a 350 mile trip. This may be attributed to that it was slightly modified (suspension wheels etc).

I loved the sound of the boxer engine but with the stainless exhaust it got a bit much on a long journey. I would get another without doubt if I could find a well priced classic, the problems with mine were simply down to poor maintanence.

Yes that could well be it wrighty..... mine have all been totally standard and in this form (for what they are) very civilised.... after the afore mentioned 700 plus miles, hardly any recovery time was needed at all.
Where as I have done similar trips in various hot hatchs and been totally bolloxed.

Cheers Ian

rob-legend
07-06-2009, 22:06

lighter, adj diff etc ;)

im not really up to scratch on my imprezas, but was the P1 the only model they done in 2 door?? i dont want a 4 door FAMILY saloon just yet :wink:

type r too i think :? and obviously the 22b, theres another too

richy
07-06-2009, 22:12

lighter, adj diff etc ;)

theres a few 2dr versions, mostly 4dr like but you can get the scooby type r which is 2dr and basicly is the P1 but a jap import version

theres also the type ra etc

id def own a early RA (upto 1999 model) as jon said there lighter, get the manual adjustable dccd, water injection, red top engine iirc close ratio box, roof vent etc etc

Danno
07-06-2009, 23:29
you thinking of trading the willy for 1 FATBOY???? :shock:
I personally wouldnt touch one with the exception of the P1 & 22b maybe, to many around, every chav and his staffy have one, much rather have a mitsi evo

Wobba
07-06-2009, 23:47
I used to own one, also had an import I ran about in for a short time. My first one was almost new, Series McRae no.76 ltd ed. Awesome car, though the basic handling was good, it was MUCH better with the Prodrive suspension pack which I think came as standard on most Scoob as the PPP package later on. The suspension cost me about £1200 and the performace package (chip etc) was about £2000. Seriously fast car. It was dark met blue with gold speedlines like my Willy :)

The import had different suspension setup to UK spec I think.

Had the McRae for about 3 years.

The Recaro's were really nice, the steering wheel was fully adjustable so you could have it in your face McRae style, or more chilled out.

I only used super unleaded on mine, it could be thirsty if you ragged it, like any car.

The flat four warble was addictive.

A week after I sold the car the piston rings disingergrated apparently and the new owner went apeshit at me...until I pointed out it was still under a subaru warranty...he got a new engine as the Prodrive upgrades were endorsed by Subaru. Pretty happy chappy.

I would buy another one, but I would not go for one of the chavved up big wings stupid jap exhaust jobbies. Probably an RA classic shape...stripped of course with roll cage ;)

stevie_b
08-06-2009, 10:27
If you can handle the negative image that seems to follow them these days then I think they are great cars. I have a couple of 'classics' - a version 4 STI and a version 6 STI Type RA. The standard STIs are pretty good all rounders - fantastic on a back road/track and tolerable on the motorway. The Type RAs (and Type-Rs if you are after the 2-door versions) are a fair bit rawer. The closer ratio box means their top speed is lower and so motorway journeys have the engine revving away higher than seems relaxing! From a practical perspective, the driving position is pretty comfortable - I've done across Europe trips only stopping for petrol and felt refreshed at the end. The boot is plenty big enough for most needs. Fuel economy is okay for the performance available - I can get nearly 30 mpg on a 70mph motorway cruise, but only get about 6-7 mpg from tanks burnt at the 'Ring. Both of mine have been pretty faultless from a reliability point of view, with only standard services being required and consumables (if you count cracked discs!) being replaced, although it must be said that they are pretty pampered and low mileage compared to most of the classics available out there these days (one on 40k, the other on 30k) so not sure how they hold up at higher mileages.

The downsides that spring to mind are the interior, which is Clio-basic with similar plastics and not much you can do to improve it, and the brakes, which on the UK cars are pretty shocking 2-pot efforts. The STIs came with better 4-pot calipers on the front, but even these can be found lacking for the performance on offer and I can recommend the AP Racing 6-pot set up as a very worthwhile upgrade although I believe that the Alcons that Prodrive fitted to some cars are also very good.

I know that you are fairly local so if you are seriously thinking of buying one then I have pretty much every book going on them which you might find useful to check chassis codes and the myriad spec differences between all the various versions and limited editions, etc?

raviedavie
08-06-2009, 10:44
Having been a 410 bhp Evo 7 owner im not going to comment :wink:

Tommo
08-06-2009, 12:34
Fatboy, I was considering a P1 a while ago after going for a spin in a friends and was simply astonished by the performance of the thing, still to this day the quickest car I have been in, although it wasn't standard. I read up a fair bit about them, lots of info can be found here http://p1woc.co.uk

In the end I was put off by the reliability of the engines tbh, most seem to blow the bottom ends which results in a costly rebuild, seems even the most cherished ones suffer this problem, so may be worth finding one which has had a rebuild with uprated parts. I'm no expert mind, but I did find the forum very useful. Oh and only a P1 for me, scoobies do have a bad image, but the P1 is so stunning looking and has limited edition status, the image thing wouldn't really bother me, just a shame about the reliability...

bigjim
08-06-2009, 16:48
i sold my immaculate low mileage williams 3 for an impreza, wanted one for ages. i absolutley loved it. my first one was a 99 t plate uk classic in dark blue mica, had leda coilovers, full stainless decat exhaust, quickshift, hi spec 320mm brakes and 17" subaru alloys, fantastic car, sounded immense not too loud i had a full hayward and scott system no cats with the classic style round 3.5" tailpipe which is regarded as one of the best systems u can buy for them (beware the jap style back box its crazy loud) brilliant handling, practical, fast, but very thirsty. never had any major problems with it, it had full subaru history which helps. then had a 97 jap import sti in white which was even better, 280 bhp standard was a much better car than the uk model and it was standard, once i fitted a full stainless de cat it really flew, circa 300bhp, close ratio box makes for awesome accelaration. clutch went, £550 to get a new one fitted. sold it as we had another baby so it had to go. miss it like mad. desperate to get another one, want a 3dr type r or 4dr type ra. jap spec cars are much better than the uk cars.

richy
08-06-2009, 17:14
i dont think the likes of the P1 or 22B etc have really had that image the other models seemed to have, they are and always have been looked at as classics of the scooby world

would def own a P1 tho, only issue as mentioned is the engine rebuilds esp if not been looked after, not exactly cheap but in the same instant you could uprate the block or change to the 2.5 etc as i know a few have done that.

raviedavie
08-06-2009, 18:35
Before i bought my Evo i test drove a P1 and a Tommy mak evo 6 back to back and im sorry if i upset anyone but the Evo was far superior. dont get me wrong the P1 is a good car but as it has been pointed out before i found it overrated and far more docile than i thought it would be. The Evo's are more money yes but in my mind it was a no brainer , the Evo walked it. My advise to anyone thinking about a scoob would be to at least try the rivals out before you part with any cash.

All IMO and no offence intended :wink:

FATBOY
08-06-2009, 20:45
I personally wouldnt touch one with the exception of the P1 & 22b maybe, to many around, every chav and his staffy have one, much rather have a mitsi evo

yes im thinking of selling up and getting one now. still in 2 minds, i know i will regret selling. but gonna see how finances are etc etc

2 live
08-06-2009, 21:04

yes im thinking of selling up and getting one now. still in 2 minds, i know i will regret selling. but gonna see how finances are etc etc

best man to ask would be jim......raiderman on here..hulk on cs.

went from williams, to scoob, back to clio. albeit a bit of a gaylords motor ;)

iv had quite a few do's with and in scoobs. my mate had an ra spec 1 for sale for a while i was quite tempted with. the sales pitch almost sold it to me, was a cheapy cheap 1 tho lol, until i drove it. yes it was quite quick, but was severely lacking compared to the williams. tried it down some local twisties. then just to make sure, compared against it, the willy ripped it a new arsehole. end of.

money stayed in the bank ;)

Danno
08-06-2009, 22:50
the willy ripped it a new arsehole. end of.

haha made my day :P

stevie_b
08-06-2009, 22:50
but was severely lacking compared to the williams. tried it down some local twisties.

Lacking versus a Williams in what way?

2 live
09-06-2009, 00:45
handling , speed, comfort, driver enjoyment.........

do you want me to go on???

btw.......must point out. that was compared to the 1 in front as was...cammed/chipped/coiled. 14.0 fully trimmed, 0-60 5.6 etc etc.

the ra was severely lacking.

Evogone
09-06-2009, 08:46
EVO beats the Subaru hands down for the last 10 years.

stevie_b
09-06-2009, 09:05
We're on a Williams site. Clearly we are all big fans and know it can punch well above its weight, but Paul asked for opinions from past and present drivers (which I interpreted as owners), I presume for the reason that they would be best-placed to give an insight into the pros and cons of the model long-term, as an ownership proposition, rather than just based on a brief drive or seeing one on the road one day. I'm not sure how a story about keeping up with an RA would help with a purchasing decision, not that I'm doubting this happened for a second, as I let the other half drive the cars at some track days and we get passed by everything!

I'd give you the three subjective ones as both cars are good enough in those respects that people could endlessly argue either way. A pedant would probably say the fact that most of the Imprezas have air con could just give it the edge on comfort, but I'll leave them as being roughly equal. So that just leaves the speed aspect... You won't find anyone that has owned both that concludes they are on a par performance wise - a P1/Type-R/Type-RA is capable of being whole seconds a lap quicker around any track I can think of.

Evogone
09-06-2009, 18:12
We're on a Williams site. Clearly we are all big fans and know it can punch well above its weight, but Paul asked for opinions from past and present drivers (which I interpreted as owners), I presume for the reason that they would be best-placed to give an insight into the pros and cons of the model long-term, as an ownership proposition, rather than just based on a brief drive or seeing one on the road one day. I'm not sure how a story about keeping up with an RA would help with a purchasing decision, not that I'm doubting this happened for a second, as I let the other half drive the cars at some track days and we get passed by everything!

I'd give you the three subjective ones as both cars are good enough in those respects that people could endlessly argue either way. A pedant would probably say the fact that most of the Imprezas have air con could just give it the edge on comfort, but I'll leave them as being roughly equal. So that just leaves the speed aspect... You won't find anyone that has owned both that concludes they are on a par performance wise - a P1/Type-R/Type-RA is capable of being whole seconds a lap quicker around any track I can think of.

Bought a subaru lasted 1 month after driving my mates EVO and it was just a different league. Had a couple of EVOs over a period of 5 years and did over 150k miles, never did one brake on me just consumables (included trackdays). Everyone i know with a subaru (lots with RA/ST1-6/P1/Spec C - this was quite good) has had a problem, usually gearbox failure (although the new 6 speeds are a lot better)

As much experience anyone......

raviedavie
09-06-2009, 19:04
Same as Evogone , had my Evo 7 FQ300 for 3 years and took it upto 410 bhp and in that time the only thing i had to replace was the clutch ( no suprise to evo owners )

They are fantastic cars and totally reliable too. my neighbour had a WRX STI while i had the evo and in the first 6 months it had to go back 3 times at a cost of over 2k. we used to share cars alot basically to rag the crap out of them and compare and every time i struggled to get the keys back off of him lol

He sold the scoob after 9 months and currently drives an Evo 8MR and loves it.

That is my experience that constisted of more than one drive and basically 9 months of whinging neighbour 8)

stevie_b
09-06-2009, 19:06
Bought a subaru lasted 1 month after driving my mates EVO and it was just a different league. Had a couple of EVOs over a period of 5 years and did over 150k miles, never did one brake on me just consumables (included trackdays). Everyone i know with a subaru (lots with RA/ST1-6/P1/Spec C - this was quite good) has had a problem, usually gearbox failure (although the new 6 speeds are a lot better)

That's relevant advice.

2 live
09-06-2009, 19:06

yes we are on a williams clio site. but i dont think any of us are naive enough to think our cars are the be all and end all. yes they are quick little things, but there are quicker things out there. scoobs arent really in this class tbh.

well. tbh. the drive was waaaaaaay more than a test drive. i drove it a hell of a lot. u know how it is with mates cars, closest car to exit is the 1 used.

in terms of performance. it really was lacking. as have been several other scoobs against the willy. they feel quicker due to the 4wd, thats it .unless they are well modded. over 100 n the ones iv driven/raced have died on their arse.

then theres the running costs. very juicy unless u tickle it evrywhere, but whats the point in having a quick car to tickle evrywhere??

reliability.....touch wood.the williams has only let me down twice.once when the clutch went, once when the shite kent cams exploded. the scoobs are reknowned for bottom end rebuilds, clutch and brake probs. the adj diff blew on the RA not long after he eventually sold it. a big bucks repair too apparently. btw..thats in 8 years ownership of the williams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWiV5zFTbys&feature=channel_page

maybe not ra/type r/p1 spec.....but at the end of the day....how do we know what they have under the bonnet?? we dont lol.

stevie_b
09-06-2009, 19:35
Look, I was just trying to help. Paul asked if anyone had experience of these cars. I gave him some pros and stated some cons. I said I've got some reference books he could borrow if he was seriously considering one. I didn't feel he wanted a list of other cars I know are better - I don't know what his budget is either so it would be hard to bring this into it.

but i dont think any of us are naive enough to think our cars are the be all and end all. yes they are quick little things, but there are quicker things out there. scoobs arent really in this class tbh.

Yes, I'm well aware of that. I have other cars as well so already know that neither the Clio nor the Impreza is the fastest thing there is.

A Williams is not a quicker car than a P1/Type-RA/Type-R though. I enjoyed your link - I have similar vids in my Clio, and won several sprint championships in it. They are very good cars. If I saw correctly you passed Caterhams, 911s, etc. in the video too? I guess there are very few cars out there then that are quicker than a Williams based on that video?

I agree it would be wise for Paul to try to test drive an Evo before going down the Impreza route. Also posting 'lots of my friends have Subarus and they all blew up' I think is useful advice too. It points to there being issues with reliability that can be probed (although mine have been faultless) but saying there's no point ever having any other car because a Clio can do unspeakable things to its bottom is not that useful, IMHO.

richy
09-06-2009, 19:49
one of my mates had a 2004 subaru wrx sti with full prodrive kit, he had it a few year and never had any issues, and that was reguarly driven to germany and back(he was in the army) aswell as all over the UK, very quick too, wasnt a bog standard wrx though.

2 live
09-06-2009, 19:53
Look, I was just trying to help. Paul asked if anyone had experience of these cars. I gave him some pros and stated some cons. I said I've got some reference books he could borrow if he was seriously considering one. I didn't feel he wanted a list of other cars I know are better - I don't know what his budget is either so it would be hard to bring this into it.

but i dont think any of us are naive enough to think our cars are the be all and end all. yes they are quick little things, but there are quicker things out there. scoobs arent really in this class tbh.

Yes, I'm well aware of that. I have other cars as well so already know that neither the Clio nor the Impreza is the fastest thing there is.

A Williams is not a quicker car than a P1/Type-RA/Type-R though. I enjoyed your link - I have similar vids in my Clio, and won several sprint championships in it. They are very good cars. If I saw correctly you passed Caterhams, 911s, etc. in the video too? I guess there are very few cars out there then that are quicker than a Williams based on that video?

I agree it would be wise for Paul to try to test drive an Evo before going down the Impreza route. Also posting 'lots of my friends have Subarus and they all blew up' I think is useful advice too. It points to there being issues with reliability that can be probed (although mine have been faultless) but saying there's no point ever having any other car because a Clio can do unspeakable things to its bottom is not that useful, IMHO.

hmm....pedant??

where did i say there was no point having any other car??? where did anyone apart from your good self state that??

the vid was to show how many seconds quicker than the willy the scoobs are lol. :roll:

a williams cant be a quicker car than an ra spec......why not??? mine was a lot quicker than my mates ra. even he said so.lol my other mate had a jap spec 2 dr, had a hell of a lot money under the bonnet, that was a quick car, but even he was blown away when he drove the bodied williams. he sold it soon after, altho he doesnt own a williams lol

horses for courses, the scoobs arent all that in terms of speed or reliability. im glad yours were hassle free for you, but i can honestly say, i dont think i know anyone whos had a scoob and not had problems with them.

stevie_b
09-06-2009, 20:05
where did i say there was no point having any other car??? where did anyone apart from your good self state that??

Sorry, you didn't. I just implied it from the fact that you posted a video showing a Clio passing a whole variety of machinery and stated that Imprezas are not worth having since you passed one. Therefore not worth bothering with any of the other lot either?

the vid was to show how many seconds quicker than the willy the scoobs are lol. :roll:

Sorry, I missed that. I'm going off my DL1 output from a variety of events and can't really see anywhere where the Clio makes time on the Impreza. Maybe I just have a mental block and don't push the Clio as hard.

FATBOY
09-06-2009, 21:22
wooooooha.... didnt realise this would cause such a heated debate.. im still well and truly in 2 minds as what to do...

2 live
09-06-2009, 21:29

Sorry, you didn't. I just implied it from the fact that you posted a video showing a Clio passing a whole variety of machinery and stated that Imprezas are not worth having since you passed one. Therefore not worth bothering with any of the other lot either?

Sorry, I missed that. I'm going off my DL1 output from a variety of events and can't really see anywhere where the Clio makes time on the Impreza. Maybe I just have a mental block and don't push the Clio as hard.

again. where did i say that they werent worth having??

paul asked for opinions, from both drivers and owners of said car. i gave mine. personally i wouldnt buy one, too many problems, too much to run etc. not just petrol, but ins, parts, servicing etc etc , and also not a step upwards/forwards from the williams. imho. to get me away from the williams , the car would have to be a good step up in terms of all round drivability. the scoobs arent, yes some of them are quick. iv never denied that, but they are also prone to breakdowns. i believe a lot of that does have something to do with how the sumps baffled , not 100% as im not really into them tbh

ppl tend to think of scoobs as the giant killers, but they arent. sure the , 22b s and the p1s are fairly rapid, and desirable to boot, and a well tuned one would be pretty quick too, but in the grand scheme of things, they arent all that imho.

i also stated earlier that paul should seek out jim. who better to advise than someone whos been in the same situation?? and then you look at what he owns now......yep.......another clio.

maybe its not just me that thinks that.

maybe, on a road, rather than on a track/rally stage, where, lets be honest now, is where paul would be driving, would be a better place to compare. wrx, sti etc on the roads round here, will NOT stay with the little clio unless theyv been quite modified.

which brings out another argument. bang for buck in the mod market scoobs will win hands down. n/a vs forced induction will always see greater gains for the f/i for same kinda outlay.

2 live
09-06-2009, 21:33

Sorry, I missed that. I'm going off my DL1 output from a variety of events and can't really see anywhere where the Clio makes time on the Impreza. Maybe I just have a mental block and don't push the Clio as hard.[/quote]

maybe you should try the wrc stage times. check out ragnottis times in the maxi, then compare it to the scooby times. on some stages the alledged 'better' machinery still got its arse handed to it by the little clio. granted not on every stage. but still. times are times huh??

stevie_b
09-06-2009, 23:11
he was blown away when he drove the bodied williams

OK. Now I think I get you, although you didn't exactly state this at the outset. Are you suggesting that, rather than buying an Impreza, Paul should consider spending the extra dosh upgrading the Williams for the equivalent outlay? That would give him a very capable, quick car. If that's what you are saying then there is no quibble - after all, that is what I am trying to achieve with my Clio! The same carries forward to your Clio Maxi argument - can the 'ultimate' Clio beat an Impreza that follows a different set of rules/constraints on certain stages - of course it does! When previously reading this thread I thought you were saying that an off-the-shelf Williams was as quick as an off-the-shelf P1/Type-RA/Type-R, which knowing Paul's attention to originality I had assumed was what he would be looking at.

In absolute honesty I rate both models in very high regard. If you told me that one car had to go then I'd immediately choose the Impreza to part with first. The main reason being that I have another one :lol: If you said both had to go or lose the Clio I guess I'd have to think long and hard about it - it's certainly not a straightforward decision, which agrees a lot about where I think you are coming from. However, if someone said pick one that would achieve the fastest lap time I know which I'd then have to choose.