PDA

View Full Version : Is this the gearbox fill point!?

sleeky
06-06-2009, 12:54
Right,

Have been changing the box fluid on my valver this morning, drained the old stuff off no problem, but when ive come to fill it up im not sure if im filling it from the wrong point as the hole is tiny and the fluid just doesnt want to go down there!

Here is where im trying to fill from:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sleeky/DSC_0169.jpg

The black plastic thing that im pointing to! Now am I being a complete idiot and using the wrong point or have a got to spend the next week slowly filling it up!? I did a quick search and tried using a funnel and some hose pipe but as you can see not much ended up going in the box... :lol:

Lee.

jay s
06-06-2009, 13:01
lol oh dear school boy error. that is'nt the filler plug mate. give me a sec and i'll get a pic of where to fill..... :D

sleeky
06-06-2009, 13:04
PMSL, somehow I thought I had the wrong thing :oops:

schakal
06-06-2009, 13:17
lolololol :D
thats the breather mate , the filler is on the side where
there is a plastic screw off plug .

jay s
06-06-2009, 13:18
here you go mate, number 2 is the filling plug, 1 the draining. the drawing is from under the car but its alot easier to remove the airbox and fill from the top unless you have a pump. you need 3.1 litres of 75w/80 gearbox oil. 3litres will be fine. id drian it again and start over :D
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/jay16v-/gearboxdrain.jpg

sleeky
06-06-2009, 13:20
Don't think there is much point in draining, i reckon only a teaspoon got in there, the rest ended up on the floor :lol:

I bought 4 litres so even after this little cock up should have plenty of fluid.

Will let you know if I manage to do it this time :lol:

jay s
06-06-2009, 13:23
ah fair do's. don't put any more than 3 litres in tho as if any more they tend to be to full and oil ends up coming out of the breather and speedo cable hole lol

sleeky
06-06-2009, 14:39
Well tis all done, just going out for a spin but theres no clunking in reverse which is an improvement 8)

Cheers for the pic also, without that it probally would have taken months to fill :oops:

Lee.

BRUN
06-06-2009, 17:56
its full when it comes back out of the fill hole