PDA

View Full Version : how long to fit tappets?

toddjnr
05-06-2009, 22:34
how long should it take a competent garage to fit new tappets and a timing belt??i was quoted at least 7hours labour from a local garage.personally i think thats a bit much.the job needs doing but i aint wanting to pay over the odds.

Wobba
05-06-2009, 23:55
7 hours would be the max. I did it in less on the side of the steet, without help or garage facilities/tools.

Depends I guess. middle pulley can be a pain and how are they priming tappets?

Personally, I'd do it myself, it's not hard if you have the tools and time and research how to time cambelt/pulleys.

toddjnr
06-06-2009, 07:28
cheers mate,i would love to give it a try but the time thing is the issue.im going to do some phoning about today and see what some other places say.should be fun :lol:

Wobba
06-06-2009, 08:13
I used tappets off ebay, they are fine. Putting some in an engine today actually....

toddjnr
06-06-2009, 17:36
I used tappets off ebay, they are fine. Putting some in an engine today actually....
thats where i got mine aswell :lol:
dont suppose you fancy fitting another set.LOL. :lol: :lol:

Wobba
08-06-2009, 11:03
I'd love to, but I am a tad bit busy with an engine swap/rebuild right now...

It's worth doing the cambelt at the same time. Learning how to time the engine is very useful!

toddjnr
08-06-2009, 18:17
well ive been to 4 local garages now and they all seem to be telling me different things.1 said they need special tools,1 said 7 hours to do the cam belt,1 said its an engine out job.im no mechanic but know how to do a fair bit and i think there all full of s**t.its as if no one wants my money :lol: