PDA

View Full Version : Megane bottom end engine code location?

alex_e3
04-06-2009, 22:24
Having insured the hybrid as a 2 litre, adrian flux have requested that i must change the V5 document to a 2 litre.

Posted the document off with the new CC in, and i've just got a letter back off the DVLA telling me they need proof of the engine installed by a garage and the new engine code.

Now i'm wondering, is the engine code on a plate at the front of the block similar to the williams lump? Or is it in a different location? I'm stumped on how to get the engine code for them otherwise.

As for a letter off a garage, they can whistle for that, as there's no way of getting that as it was done well before i got the car.

Jesus nothing's simple!

summeh
04-06-2009, 22:53
Having insured the hybrid as a 2 litre, adrian flux have requested that i must change the V5 document to a 2 litre.

Posted the document off with the new CC in, and i've just got a letter back off the DVLA telling me they need proof of the engine installed by a garage and the new engine code.

Now i'm wondering, is the engine code on a plate at the front of the block similar to the williams lump? Or is it in a different location? I'm stumped on how to get the engine code for them otherwise.

As for a letter off a garage, they can whistle for that, as there's no way of getting that as it was done well before i got the car.

Jesus nothing's simple!

why the **** do they want a letter from a garage? what a load of bollocks... When I did this with my car (changed from a williams 2.0ltr to a megane 2.0ltr) it was a simple case of supplying the new engine code, which is by the way in the same location as the willy block.

No reason why they should need proof from a garage... What if you did it yourself??? Just give them the new engine code. Should just go on the V5 and then you send that back with the ammended detail.

stan
04-06-2009, 23:15
I had to supply a letter to dvla for a customer who had a 2.0 conversion, just a few months back...maybe they have changed their policies?

schakal
04-06-2009, 23:40
sounds like they did change it a bit .
when i have dont the valver conversion on the r9 all i had to
do was to write the new engine size and number on the v5 and
send it to dvla ,they sent me the new v5 with correct details in 2 weeks
never asked for a letter etc .

summeh
04-06-2009, 23:52
sounds like they did change it a bit .
when i have dont the valver conversion on the r9 all i had to
do was to write the new engine size and number on the v5 and
send it to dvla ,they sent me the new v5 with correct details in 2 weeks
never asked for a letter etc .

Ditto... I did mine in 2006 although the engine size did not change. I can't see why they would need a letter... What happens if you did it yourself?

Just seems like another paper trail the gov can shed money and waste time on.

Wobba
05-06-2009, 00:45
It may be for single vehicle approval reasons or emissions. I wouldnt worry that much but do some research first.

Matty86
05-06-2009, 01:32
did you include the new engine number on the v5?

When I did mine, i just filled out the form with 2 LEETAH MATE and the engine number (which I got from Renault from the reg of the donor vehicle) and they did it no problems :)

Flux have never requested any proof, but I think I did my v5 before i took out insurance

or just write back and tell em you've just bored it out with a Dremel :D

Wobba
05-06-2009, 09:13
I thought the engine code was on a silver plaque on the front of the engine near the flywheel?

alex_e3
05-06-2009, 09:50
Cheers guys i'll whip the airbox off today and see if i can see it!

Pain in the arse i know - i think i'm gonna phone them to see what they have to say about this so called letter.

Whole thing has been a pain in the arse to be honest - insurance cost nearly £300 extra 'coz of the engine mods. Flux asked what power it was - i said about 170bhp probably. Then i told them about the megane bottom end and it went up £80!!! Bloody rip off - at least i know i'm definitely covered though.