PDA

View Full Version : Odd hesitation problem

BaJ
04-06-2009, 13:56
Hi all,

I've not posted here much but have had my Willy a good few months now, it's a second car and I've not had much time to use it, but when I have I've noticed a few issues that are beginning to bug me.

The car runs perfectly when cold, no idling problems or anything. But after a few miles and it starts to warm up then it begins to hesitate all over the place. Cruising at 40mph or so and the car will suddenly jerk and jolt, you can sometimes mash the accelerator to spring her to life but a few times now it has completely cut out! Eeeek! :(

It's odd as sometimes it will also accelerate itself along and you can be stationary at the lights with the revs going up to 2000 odd, grrr!

Some days it's fine though, Sunday I had a good half an hour run out and suffered no problems at all ... was blooming loving it. Decided to take it to work on Wednesday and it conked out half way there, grrrr! Makes me reluctant to use it at all as I just fear it's going to play up and leave me stranded in the middle of the road somewhere!

Help !!

Cheers

Wobba
04-06-2009, 14:38
Could be a few things.

Personally I'd look at the sensors, specifically coolant temperature sensor (white plug on thermostat housing) and lambda sensor on the exhaust.

Do you have a stardard ECU?

Just for good measure and piece of mind I'd replace plugs, oil change, fuel/oil and air filter, check dizzy and the HT leads. But that's just me. I carpet bomb my car with everything when it shows any vague fault like that :)

BaJ
04-06-2009, 14:48
Cheers Wobba!

It's Daz's old motor ... so err Daz, any ideas on the ECU and when/if any of those mentioned were changed?

I changed the plugs myself about 3 weeks ago, they were caked in oil which was all cleaned up at the time but needs a new rocker gasket putting on.

I'll check out those other bits mentioned though, cheers!

Tommo
04-06-2009, 15:08
Mine did exactly this, but seems to be ok now and has been for a while, so have left it for now, this car seems to have a mind of it's own!! I was told to check the lambda sensor, so this is the first thing I will look at if the problem comes back...

BaJ
04-06-2009, 16:14
Hmmm!

Daz if you read this ... it sounds quite similar to your posts on the topic below, did you ever find a solution??

http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33076&highlight=lambda

Cheers

Daz.
07-06-2009, 21:07
Tally ho!

I had a problem donkeys ago where it would Idle like crap till It was warm, then would occasionally cut out when dipping the clutch, next service it had I had the CTS replaced. It went back within 30mins because I had an issue with the temp reading wrong, looked like it was overheating when it wasn't - I posted a thread on here somewhere..

Anyhoo, they kept it and swapped the new CTS with the old one and it was spot on.. they had swapped the sender for a new one so figured it was that.

Months after that it was a bit rough, couldn't figure it out doing what your saying its doing, asked on here and thought it could be the speedo cable or indeed earth - as luck (or lack of it) the clutch cable snapped pulling into Asda after work one morning!

When it went for its new clutch (the reason it snapped a relatively new cable as it was on it way out), they put on a new speedo cable as the old once was stuck in the box end and it broke coming out - was £75 odd from renault :shock:

It never did it again after that, fixed the speedo wobble and ran fine!

Only thing that was iffy after thatwas that day before you came...

I'll explain again for the lads as it could be relevant!

Day before it was due to leave me I tightened up all the earths in the bay due to the rev counter refusing to rev upto the limiter - the limiter and speed was fine but the dial died around 4k.. Explained this to Baj and gave him my spare dials.

After tightening the main earths it was fixed and rev'd normally? Now in my original posts I mentioned this hesitation and someone did suggest it could be the earth on the back of the units messing up the road sensor.

I drove all over the place looking at 172s and it was really good, when I put the deposit down for the new one I had an ace old drive back in it - was wondering if I'd made a mistake!

No money was spared this car so I'd like to find out myself was it is!

Never had a lamda in my possesion so could try that, plugs weren't done either when I had it.

Curiously why does it need a new rocker gasket? that one thats on is only 12 months old? I changed it when I put the poweder coated cover on.

Wished I'd have kept it longer, don't know if you know but the 172s engine dropped a piston a few weeks after you picked her up :cry:

If it were me I'd try the earths behind the clocks as suggested on here and then try the lambda.

HT's were a group buy on here less than 12 months old, fuel filter is 2 years old, air filter same basically what wobba said.

Ask away I'm happy to help.

Any pictures of the slag?

8)

Daz.
07-06-2009, 21:11
My bitches :twisted:

Daz.
07-06-2009, 21:11
I'll try that again!

My Bitches :twisted:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/Daz0rz/DSC00044.jpg

BaJ
07-06-2009, 22:45
As always ... thanks for all that info, top stuff :)

I'll check out everything mentioned when I get time.

Yes I heard about the 172, doh! Did you get everything sorted in the end?

When I changed the plugs the other week they were absolute covered in oil, however I did think that the gasket looked fairly new actually. I've not changed it yet but searching around this place seems to point to that being the culprit if oil gets in there.

No pics at the minute but I'll try and get some, it looks the same as when it was yours except covered in muck :D

When it's all tickety-boo it's such cracking fun! Compared to my Golf it produces thrills at such saner speeds, squeeeeel :D

Daz.
07-06-2009, 22:50
Theres always a little oil in the ways, whenever I've been poking around in the valvers/willys engine theres always some in there

That gasket is deffo less than 12 months old, took me ages to get it out of its packet!

You learnt how to wash it yet? :wink: :lol:

Daz.
07-06-2009, 22:53
Aye she's running fine now

Got it almost how I want it now

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/Daz0rz/172/SSL11027.jpg