PDA

View Full Version : Would it be sacrilidge to remove the seats from my Willy?

GabrielKnight
02-06-2009, 21:14
In my Mk1, I took out front and back seats and fitted 2 Cobra racing seats and harnesses up front. It made the drive more sporty and exciting, they looked more racy and I miss it.

Would I be a chav if I did this to my Williams? I find the default comfy seats a bit too sensible for everyday driving. Can I not store the official seats in my garage, thereby preseving their quality for even longer while I enjoy the seats I like while zooming around?

Removing 5 heavyish seats and replacing them for 2 lightweight ones made a big difference in the mk1. Will it upset the handling in a Williams tho?

busterhymes
02-06-2009, 21:45
ur car do what u like :) but really good idea to hangon to all the original stuff then when u sell u can put back to std and hopefully get the best price :)

GabrielKnight
02-06-2009, 21:52
I feel the same. It would be looked down on at meets etc tho?

ThRaXaIR
02-06-2009, 21:53
rip those bad boys out then.....take it round track! good idea!

you may find buying subframes for a willy hard on account of them not making them for cobras, dunno about other makes, but i had to get my mate to knock me up a set.

busterhymes
02-06-2009, 21:55
I feel the same. It would be looked down on at meets etc tho?

so longs ur happy then to be honest **** em m8 :) :)

GabrielKnight
02-06-2009, 22:05
rip those bad boys out then.....take it round track! good idea!

you may find buying subframes for a willy hard on account of them not making them for cobras, dunno about other makes, but i had to get my mate to knock me up a set.

Damn, so my £120 / pair mk1 subframes are useless? 16v ones too? Ffs :evil:

What about weight difference. Will it bollox my original spec handling a bit?

16v_paddy
02-06-2009, 22:09
When you say Mk1, are you on about clio?? :?

If you've got the seats & subframes that fit in a valver or another Mk1 clio they will fit in the williams as they're all Mk1 clios

richy
02-06-2009, 22:10
if there from a 16v clio they will fit. runners etc are same phase depending on the clios

GabrielKnight
02-06-2009, 22:25
When you say Mk1, are you on about clio?? :?

If you've got the seats & subframes that fit in a valver or another Mk1 clio they will fit in the williams as they're all Mk1 clios

Its a 1996 mk1 Clio, still sitting on the drive with a shagged cambelt.

It would make my day if the same seats / subframes could be simply moved over to the Willy. I waited 2 months for the frames to appear cheap on eBay, gave up, spending over £100 on new ones, only to find a single bid for £30 on a pair two weeks later. :evil:

If they are interchangable, why did Ttaxair say you can't get them? :? I reckon the 16v subframe might work. Anyone know for sure the mk1s are the same?

http://www.motorspeed.com/store_main.asp?int_catalog_id=4&int_category_id=13&int_subcategory_id=68&int_product_id=1014

lists all the subframes, but just says mk1 (doesn't specify RSI or Williams - they have wider bodys so...)?

16v_paddy
02-06-2009, 22:39
If all it says is clio 1 they'll fit :wink: 91-98 are all Mk1 clio shells, the willy's & valvers are exactly the same shell apart from the wider panels

GabrielKnight
02-06-2009, 23:11
Huzzah!

Coops
02-06-2009, 23:46
nah, its not a real williams anyway :wink: rip em out

sorry i gotta stop with the jibing, i'm only jealous as i cant sell mine :oops: :lol:

GabrielKnight
02-06-2009, 23:54
nah, its not a real williams anyway :wink: rip em out

sorry i gotta stop with the jibing, i'm only jealous as i cant sell mine :oops: :lol:

I know. If only it had a sunroof, somewhere to put some speakers... :wink:

Coops
03-06-2009, 00:05
less weight, more chassis rigidity, can actually go round corners like....well like a williams :wink:

rob-legend
03-06-2009, 07:44
bin it all.

Wobba
03-06-2009, 13:53
Do it.

ianbirch
04-06-2009, 11:23
I have a Recaro as the drivers seat in my Williams with the original stored
in the loft all minty mint. I find this gives me a much better driving position.

If you do take them out make sure you store them in a perfectly dry place and cover them up, I would think a loft is much better than a garage. :)

ThRaXaIR
04-06-2009, 19:34
no joke i bought a pair of mk1 subframes supposedly for all mk1's when it came to fitting them they didnt line up and had to be sent back and cobra pronounced they didnt make them even after i had initially told them it was for a williams, however i did see they make a diff set for the RSI so i dont know if its for the williams too?

if you've already got them give it ago and see, and if it does fit...well im a monkeys uncle. either way ive now got specially made ones by my mate problem solved! :P

richy
04-06-2009, 19:43
I have a Recaro as the drivers seat in my Williams with the original stored
in the loft all minty mint. I find this gives me a much better driving position.

If you do take them out make sure you store them in a perfectly dry place and cover them up, I would think a loft is much better than a garage. :)

i did the same, bagged my williams seats and stored them in the loft, must of been up there a year or 2 without any problems

ianbirch
04-06-2009, 20:46
no joke i bought a pair of mk1 subframes supposedly for all mk1's when it came to fitting them they didnt line up and had to be sent back and cobra pronounced they didnt make them even after i had initially told them it was for a williams, however i did see they make a diff set for the RSI so i dont know if its for the williams too?

if you've already got them give it ago and see, and if it does fit...well im a monkeys uncle. either way ive now got specially made ones by my mate problem solved! :P

The Recaro in my Williams was originally fitted in my L reg 16V and I did
have to modify the subframe as the bolt positions were slightly different in the Williams.... I just marked the positions and drilled 1 new hole (I think......it was a long time ago now).

Cheers Ian

ThRaXaIR
04-06-2009, 22:47

The Recaro in my Williams was originally fitted in my L reg 16V and I did
have to modify the subframe as the bolt positions were slightly different in the Williams.... I just marked the positions and drilled 1 new hole (I think......it was a long time ago now).

Cheers Ian

i cant remember how bad the mismatch was now.