PDA

View Full Version : Is Repairing Our Rusty Arches Really Worth It?!

ThRaXaIR
01-06-2009, 22:02
If you get the rust cut out and new metal put in will this solve the problem for another 15 years or will it rust again within 2 yrs?

i know you can get them fiberglassed but this doesnt solve the rust does it?

cheers!

richy
01-06-2009, 22:04
really depends how good a job is done and if the metal they use is any good and protected properly

some have come back after a year or so

Tommo
01-06-2009, 22:21
I've always said I'd buy a new arch if mine ever went rusty, only way to guarantee the rust won't come back, depends how much you have to spend really. Don't think any job on an arch will last tbh, even a top notch job will prob only last a few years, all in my opinon of course... :)

Chadwick
01-06-2009, 23:43
And how much does a new side panel cost?

16v_paddy
01-06-2009, 23:56

Last time I asked at renault it was £385 + VAT for the whole rear quarter

MatrixGuy
02-06-2009, 12:44

and that is unprepped, is it worth it?!

GabrielKnight
02-06-2009, 14:35
If you've spent £1000s on the car then it must be?

Daz.
02-06-2009, 15:01
next time I have a williams and it rusts I won't replace that part with metal again, I'll find someone to make a carbon mould or something!

Tommo
02-06-2009, 15:11
If you intend on keeping the car long term then it is, if you want a quick fix then I'd have the arch repaired

GabrielKnight
02-06-2009, 15:32

How much longer do you think Renault will continue supplying these parts?

GabrielKnight
02-06-2009, 15:34
next time I have a williams and it rusts I won't replace that part with metal again, I'll find someone to make a carbon mould or something!

Is there a realistic non-metal alternative to bodywork parts or would they be considered unsuitable for road use? Robin cars use fibreglass don't they?!

talkingfish
02-06-2009, 19:53

How much longer do you think Renault will continue supplying these parts?

as long as they still have a stock available.. you'll be surprised what you can still get direct from Renault but you pay for the privalige.....

MAXIBOY
02-06-2009, 20:20

Is there a realistic non-metal alternative to bodywork parts or would they be considered unsuitable for road use? Robin cars use fibreglass don't they?!

yes but we wouldn't be new cars then...

TVR's are fibreglass some new cars are part carbon or aluminium..most kit cars are fibreglass..would be easy to do..beanie's clio is mainly fibreglass and carbon

GabrielKnight
02-06-2009, 20:50

yes but we wouldn't be new cars then...

This doesn't bother me at all. If I had a 13k mile show car Williams like the £10000+ one currently available on pistonheads, fair enough, but I reckon these parts won't be available from Renault before long and if it means using indescerable, lighter bodywork to kill the rust from the usual areas, I'd pay £100s.

In fact I'd happily pay a one-off £grand or a good bit more if it made the prone parts of the bodywork trouble free for another 10 years and looked identical.

Wolfie
02-06-2009, 20:53
Secret to a lasting job that doesn't cost the earth is to cut out all rust then weld in a new Mk1 clio rear arch section - before anyone says it, i know they are not identical to a 16v/ willy rear quarter but they work with persuasion.

Once welded in make sure there are no holes whatsoever, even pin prick sized ones. You can see as you grind back your weld then shine a torch from the rear as it highlights any holes even the smallest ones. Then of course you can use a thin filler to sculpt to your existing finish. If the inner arch has rusted where it meets the outer arch again grind back all rust and weld in a new section-piece of any sheet metal will do, but use the chance to spray underseal or another waterproof coating such as waxoyl on the inner section of the new arch. Once inner arch is welded in seal the gap between inner arch and new arch with sikoflex, then underseal.

Thats how we dealt with my willy arch and far less expensive than buying the whole rear quarter from Renault. We do offer this as a service if you live economically close enough, and we aint expensive. :)

Wolfie
02-06-2009, 20:56
Pin Prune :shock:

ThRaXaIR
02-06-2009, 20:56
this is my dilemma....my williams is purely my track car and i have to drive it to the tracks so it has an mot.

now i do love the car but i dont know wether i should shell out the cash to keep it looking ok or do i just sell it while im ahead and buy a newer (rust free) project/track car. and then of course if i dont get them fixed should i bother shelling out more cash on making it quicker or more track able. (not thats its lacking in that department :D )

however i do appreciate that the whole decision would be one of the heart and not of the head!! haha getting deep here!

ThRaXaIR
02-06-2009, 20:58
o missed my point lol......

I wouldnt want to fix the archs unless i had decent proof that getting them fixed properly would keep rust away for the remaining life of the car.

its a toughy!

FATBOY
02-06-2009, 21:11

I wouldnt want to fix the archs unless i had decent proof that getting them fixed properly would keep rust away for the remaining life of the car.

its a toughy!

you can never guarantee that rust would never come back. you would have to keep a close eye on any small stone chips that could occur in the paintwork after drives... mine need doing and im in the same predicament as you... yes i want a good job and i dont want any rust back...

ThRaXaIR
02-06-2009, 21:57
its a very sad place to be in isnt it :(

o yeh i know it wouldnt be repaired forever and ever...im guessing 5yrs would be good, i'd have my fun and be shot of it by then ;)

GabrielKnight
02-06-2009, 22:01

its a toughy!

How much longer do people think the bodywork around the non-problem areas would last if there were no problem areas? I reckon the main bodywork has 10+ years left when you discount the low arches / sills that are constantly exposed to salt / grit / chips from day 1.

16v_paddy
02-06-2009, 22:11
no different to any other car on the road except that these cars are loads better 8) just get out & enjoy driving them

I got my arches & the whole car done last year so I can enjoy it even more

hank3944
03-06-2009, 13:57
Secret to a lasting job that doesn't cost the earth is to cut out all rust then weld in a new Mk1 clio rear arch section - before anyone says it, i know they are not identical to a 16v/ willy rear quarter but they work with persuasion.

Once welded in make sure there are no holes whatsoever, even pin Prune sized ones. You can see as you grind back your weld then shine a torch from the rear as it highlights any holes even the smallest ones. Then of course you can use a thin filler to sculpt to your existing finish. If the inner arch has rusted where it meets the outer arch again grind back all rust and weld in a new section-piece of any sheet metal will do, but use the chance to spray underseal or another waterproof coating such as waxoyl on the inner section of the new arch. Once inner arch is welded in seal the gap between inner arch and new arch with sikoflex, then underseal.

Thats how we dealt with my willy arch and far less expensive than buying the whole rear quarter from Renault. We do offer this as a service if you live economically close enough, and we aint expensive. :)

How much would you offer this economical service for mate?

MatrixGuy
03-06-2009, 22:40

Once welded in make sure there are no holes whatsoever, even pin Prune sized ones. You can see as you grind back your weld then shine a torch from the rear as it highlights any holes even the smallest ones. Then of course you can use a thin filler to sculpt to your existing finish. If the inner arch has rusted where it meets the outer arch again grind back all rust and weld in a new section-piece of any sheet metal will do, but use the chance to spray underseal or another waterproof coating such as waxoyl on the inner section of the new arch. Once inner arch is welded in seal the gap between inner arch and new arch with sikoflex, then underseal.

How much would you offer this economical service for mate?

I want to know too :D

1995clio16v
03-06-2009, 23:37
I have always been under the impression that the arches rot, purely down to the fact of that stupid lip where all the water and crap manifests and for no other reason...?

Wolfie
04-06-2009, 09:38
We can do this for £350 a side complete.

MatrixGuy
04-06-2009, 12:44
We can do this for £350 a side complete.

Is there any gurantee with this mate?

Wolfie
04-06-2009, 16:55
Most rust work is not guaranteed but if we are chopping out all existing and welding new metal in we will give a guarantee of six months. Also we will photograph the arch pre filler/ post filler to show where we have replaced and made good so you can see what we have done.

jamesy
04-06-2009, 18:10
as ther is so many of us needing this done maybe we should do a group buy/repair on rusty arches?lol

MatrixGuy
04-06-2009, 18:25
as ther is so many of us needing this done maybe we should do a group buy/repair on rusty arches?lol

lol, i like that idea :lol:

Wolfie; how many Williams have you done this with and how long did it stay rust free?

Wolfie
04-06-2009, 18:52
We are a bodyshop mate so we have done this to countless. My williams was done a few months ago and no sign, to date.

wrighty
04-06-2009, 20:56
Could you possibly post some pictures of the finished article so we can see what it is like?

Thanks

Wolfie
04-06-2009, 21:45
Ye no probs, i'll take some pics tomorrow.

1995clio16v
04-06-2009, 21:49
I have always been under the impression that the arches rot, purely down to the fact of that stupid lip where all the water and crap manifests and for no other reason...?

Wolfie
04-06-2009, 22:09
well it doesn't help, but basically all that has to happen is that bare metal is exposed to oxygen, not just water as most think.

Main probs appear to be stone chips either on the inner or outer arch that are not rectified. When we have restored cars with even minimal rust i.e. a 2mm surface spot, we take it back to bare metal, even a fleck of rust left behind in the metal will come back, thats why all has to be cut completely out rather than just chemically treated.

Once repaired we coat the entire lip with sekoflex to protect from all the crud and stray stones that can start the rust from the inner arch to out.

katbloke
05-06-2009, 09:35
probarbly find that where all welding is done its really good and strong, the weak point moves elsewhere usually close buy

Wolfie
05-06-2009, 20:14
Wouldn't have thought that rear arches need that much structural strength! Its not as though they are load bearing!

Wolfie
06-06-2009, 13:20
Struggling to download the photos of our recent arch refurbs, but will upload once sorted. Our website if anyone is interested is www.st-performance.co.uk

Cheers

Wolfie
09-06-2009, 20:52
Here are some pics of my williams arch renovation and also a impreza we did recently for a customer.