PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a Williams tomorrow...

GabrielKnight
31-05-2009, 14:42
I'm looking forward to putting down some hard earned on a nice shiny Williams 3 tomorrow.

Can someone please tell me how to be certain its a Williams and not a 1.8 done up like one.

Apart from rust on arches and sills, and obvious things like smoke and dodgy brakes, what am I looking to avoid please?

Also, if I'm buying from a private seller, presumebly I'm not legally allowed to take it or a test drive? Will I be able to glean enough information by watching the other guy drive it? I'm fairly nw to all this!

MatrixGuy
31-05-2009, 14:56
You definately want to take it for a test drive mate!

Look here for some useful info:

http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25276

Definately check when the cambelt was last changed.

GabrielKnight
31-05-2009, 15:00
That link is very helpful. I'll print it off in colour and study it on the 3 hour train journey on the way!

The link to the differences between different models just leads back to homepage for me. Is there a different link please.

MatrixGuy
31-05-2009, 15:02
That part of the site is not working i don't think mate. I will try and find the info for you though. 8)

GabrielKnight
31-05-2009, 15:04
The cambelt has apparently been changed - there is a FSH according to the ad. The one I'm looking at is in the higher end of the price-range, lowish millage, several thousand £, so want to be sure I get one that will get me home.

MatrixGuy
31-05-2009, 15:16
Is it on Ebay or PH mate?

GabrielKnight
31-05-2009, 20:47
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1053673.htm

stan
31-05-2009, 20:50
The chassis number for a williams will have C57M in it, a valver will have C57D.

GabrielKnight
31-05-2009, 20:55
Where's the chasis number, lol?!

stan
31-05-2009, 20:57
etched onto the top of N/S strut turret.

stan
31-05-2009, 21:00
Definately take it for a test drive.

Some handle like dogs, and need suspension bushes/joints replacing.

If your paying good money for it, make sure it feels nice and tight, and (relatively :lol: ) rattle free.

Have a good squint underneath for corrosion.

GabrielKnight
31-05-2009, 21:09
etched onto the top of N/S strut turret.

None the wiser :oops: :roll:

GabrielKnight
31-05-2009, 21:14

If your paying good money for it, make sure it feels nice and tight, and (relatively :lol: ) rattle free.

I've never driven anything over 1.2. I'm worried I won't manage a 2.0 without any practice - will I be ok?! Anyway Adrian Flux has agreed to insure me for the day.

FATBOY
31-05-2009, 21:14
as you look under the bonnet look at the left hand suspension strut top. its etched onto the metalwork there...

FATBOY
31-05-2009, 21:17
check the dipstick. should have a white dot if a williams.....

stan
31-05-2009, 21:18

I've never driven anything over 1.2. I'm worried I won't manage a 2.0 without any practice - will I be ok?! Anyway Adrian Flux has agreed to insure me for the day.

Where do you live?

GabrielKnight
31-05-2009, 21:20
Yorkshire. Its a good distance. But its 4 grand...

stan
31-05-2009, 21:22
Have you spoken to him??

Where in london, and when are you planning on viewing it?

GabrielKnight
31-05-2009, 21:26
As I don't know what a strut is, I think I'll have a look at the oil-stick. I've been driving a Clio mk1 for 2 years so know where to find the basics under the bonnet.

If anyone with experience / a mechanic is in the London area 2morrow, I'd be happy to pay £100 to anyone willing to accompany me to Wimbledon and give their advice on the motor.

stan
31-05-2009, 21:28
Im that way on Friday, but not tommorow unfortunately.

Is it all set for tommorow?

GabrielKnight
31-05-2009, 21:36
Pretty much. Its my only day off for a while so...

stan
31-05-2009, 21:37
You could try pm'ing "midge" on here, he lives in croydon, and knows his way round a clio...

GabrielKnight
31-05-2009, 21:38
Would you be willing to PM your mobile number in case I have any questions on the spot?

stan
31-05-2009, 21:39
you have pm..

MatBrown
31-05-2009, 21:49
I'm off work tomorrow but do have other plans.

Mat.

GabrielKnight
31-05-2009, 22:00
Thanks Mat, but I think I've got Midge on my team now ; )

MatBrown
31-05-2009, 22:05
Cool, he will see you right.

Mat.

Carole Anne
31-05-2009, 22:36
Good luck tomorrow. Whereabouts in Yorkshire are you?

Tommo
31-05-2009, 22:44
4k is a lot of money in the current market so make sure it's a good one mate, anything you are unsure about ask away on here, plenty of people on here willing to help who live and breathe these cars lol

summeh
31-05-2009, 22:52
aye was going to say 4k is top whack for a williams at the moment.. so make sure its a mint example, i.e. no rust, minimal scratches/dinks, and runs well. i'd make sure u haggle him down if u can as thats defo top whack.

GabrielKnight
31-05-2009, 22:53

Mirfield. Voted in the top 10 chaviest towns in the UK by the Guardian twice ; ) Not bad for a town that no-ones ever heard of ; )

summeh
31-05-2009, 22:55
http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35715

williams 2 in mint condition for 3k... Well the guy hasn't posted pics of drivers side rear arch, which is where they normally rust, so you can't tell for sure from these pics, but from what he's posted it looks spot on, and tuned slightly, so doesn't seem to bad.

Just make sure for 4k its a bloody good example in absolute show room condition.

GabrielKnight
31-05-2009, 22:57
Got him dowen to £3700 over phone. I'll see what comes up on the day. It is pricey but 65,000 miles is low compared to most. How many years do you reckon is left in a clean example before rust bucket? Engine should last out. I only do 6000 miles / year.

summeh
31-05-2009, 23:00
Got him dowen to £3700 over phone. I'll see what comes up on the day. It is pricey but 65,000 miles is low compared to most. How many years do you reckon is left in a clean example before rust bucket? Engine should last out. I only do 6000 miles / year.

hard to say about the rust, depends if it gets stone chipped, how well the inside arches are looked after, etc etc... 65k is low mileage yeah but there are examples that have done 120k plus which is nothing these days for the engine.

Carole Anne
31-05-2009, 23:02

Mirfield. Voted in the top 10 chaviest towns in the UK by the Guardian twice ; ) Not bad for a town that no-ones ever heard of ; )

Ha ha don't worry I'm from the North East originally!

Mirfield - if you get the willy will keep an eye out for you, often over Wakey way.

As others have said make sure it is minty mint for £4k.

Tommo
31-05-2009, 23:04

williams 2 in mint condition for 3k... Well the guy hasn't posted pics of drivers side rear arch, which is where they normally rust, so you can't tell for sure from these pics, but from what he's posted it looks spot on, and tuned slightly, so doesn't seem to bad.

Just make sure for 4k its a bloody good example in absolute show room condition.

bighp's old car (I think) one of the best I have seen tbh, had a good nosey around it at the FCS in 2007

summeh
31-05-2009, 23:05
ahh is it??? nice then.

GabrielKnight
31-05-2009, 23:07

hard to say about the rust, depends if it gets stone chipped, how well the inside arches are looked after, etc etc...

What if I rub extra virgin Sicillian olive oil over them twice a day?!

summeh
31-05-2009, 23:09

hard to say about the rust, depends if it gets stone chipped, how well the inside arches are looked after, etc etc...

lol, they all rust at some point tbh. just a question of when. :wink:

GabrielKnight
31-05-2009, 23:11

Can't they be rebuilt somehow? Its 40 years since we sent a man to the moon.

summeh
31-05-2009, 23:24

Can't they be rebuilt somehow? Its 40 years since we sent a man to the moon.

Yup of course :)

MatBrown
31-05-2009, 23:37

The willy 3's tend to rust worse than the others too.
Can be hard to tell if a fresh repair has been done properly.

Mat.

summeh
31-05-2009, 23:39
Mat would know... he runs a Williams scrap yard :wink:

GabrielKnight
31-05-2009, 23:41
I'll know where to come in 6 months then

Tommo
31-05-2009, 23:43
Why are the willy 3' more susceptible to rust than the other?

MatBrown
01-06-2009, 00:01
TBH i don't actually know, but i speculate that the mk1 clio was coming to the end of its production so they cheapened manufacturing processes to increase profit.
Have seen it done at a previous place of employment.

Mat.

Wobba
01-06-2009, 00:43

Just take it easy at first. The clutch should have a harder bite to it, you should be amazed at the relatively 'on rails' type handling and brakes should blow 1.2 spec away.

You'll feel like you are lower to the ground and more securely fixed in by the much better seats.

Don't panic when you pull off at the sudden high speed you are travelling at, the sudden stopping power when you realise you're already over twice the speed limit and the amazing way the car goes round bends...that's normal. You get used to it.

Once in your stride, amuse yourself by blowing away more modern 'faster' cars without even trying, and laugh at 1.2 drivers at every opportunity.

Finally, once really settled, see if you can get the person selling the car to stamp on the imaginary brake pedal in the passenger seat by approaching corners at high speed and not slowing. Wait till they start to go an interesting shade of green, then use this time to casually talk about how much they are willing to knock off the price, making sure you race every set of traffic lights and overtake slower traffic on every blind bend you can find. It's a tried and tested method of encouraging them to reduce the price.

stan
01-06-2009, 07:17
TBH i don't actually know, but i speculate that the mk1 clio was coming to the end of its production so they cheapened manufacturing processes to increase profit.
Have seen it done at a previous place of employment.

Mat.

I concur tbh :lol:

They didnt put the same effort in as they were moving onto the mk2's....less prep time, less corrosion provention, all to maximise profit on cars which would likely end up under the usual showroom price.

col
01-06-2009, 18:58
Its a bit like early italian cars, they bought cheap steel from Poland an Russia........alkaseltzer quality........willys3 could have had a bad batch :(

talkingfish
02-06-2009, 13:28
well, did you go and see it?? did you buy it??

GabrielKnight
02-06-2009, 14:33
Tis Mine!

Many thanks to Midge for helping on the day. He found a couple of very small rust spots underneath and the steering column seemed loose. Otherwise an excellent condition car.

We talked him down from £4000 to £3550. Had the drive of my life coming back on the M1 late at night. Worried I won't have any licence left to drive it now!

Hoping to take it out for a photoshoot later!

MatrixGuy
02-06-2009, 17:40
Thats awesome news mate, congrats! :D

midge
02-06-2009, 19:35
very clean car tbh! the guy didnt like moving on the price did he! you've saved enough from the asking price to sort the small things, have fun with it :)

talkingfish
02-06-2009, 19:50
nice one!! did look a very clean car!! welcome to the fold!! :D

GabrielKnight
02-06-2009, 20:20
A few snaps...

C5 SWH
02-06-2009, 20:22

bighp's old car (I think) one of the best I have seen tbh, had a good nosey around it at the FCS in 2007

It is indeed scotts (Bighp) old car. Still in the same condition, been sat in the garage for most the time. 8)

Tommo
02-06-2009, 20:33
Glad to hear it's being looked after, very nice car mate... 8)

Gabriel, looks like you have bought a minter there