PDA

View Full Version : Soft Clutch problem

Flash Arghhh
30-05-2009, 13:18
Okay before anyone says anything its because i have a bad leg.

I've fitted a soft clutch (volvo kit) to the valver. The problem is the pedal goes all the way to the floor and won't let me get into reverse.
I've tried packing the outer cable off the gearbox mount but thats just makes the cable jump out of place on the pedal.

Would packing out the release bearing work?

Cheers for any help.
Flash

MatBrown
30-05-2009, 16:28
Have a word with Cliokiz, seem to remember him having a similar problem.

Mat.

Flash Arghhh
30-05-2009, 20:01
Cheers matt

Flash Arghhh
30-05-2009, 20:02
Cheers matt
Mat sorry

cliokiz
30-05-2009, 22:17
I've just PM'd this to you but thought i'd post here for everyone's benefit...

Yep, had the same problem.

Are you usinga 172 fork or a volvo fork?

I used a 172 fork and release bearing.

Had the same problem, clutch not disengaging fully. Had to take the pedal stop out and have the clutch pedal silly high for it to work right.

In the end i ripped it all out and went back to standard, but looking back, i think changing the clutch cable for a 172 item may have been the solution (different length).

I imagine the pedals are similar if not the same, gearbox, fork, clutch etc are all the same so the only thing it can be is the length of the clutch cable.

Never had the chance to try it out, but may be worth comparing the length of the two and using a 172 clutch cable.

I think then the pedal will work fine with the pedal stop in place

All theory of course!

Good luck..

Matty86
30-05-2009, 22:46
should work fine on a valver cable

most people trim the pedal stop by a mm or 2 to get it to work. means the pedal only sits *slightly* higher than usual. this method has worked for many (myself included)

Flash Arghhh
31-05-2009, 15:09
i've removed that stop and i can get all my gears :D got to put my foot to the floor though but i don't mind hehe
Thanks for the help

kj16v
01-06-2009, 13:17
Hi I had exactly the same problem with my Volvo based soft clutch.

I first tried taking the brake stop out but being 6'2" meant that I had to lift my knee to my chin to engage the clutch!

I found that to get it perfect I had to do a combination of two things: First:- shim out the the cable at the release fork: Cut a slit along a cylindrical piece of metal so you can fit it on to the cable, and then tape up the slit so the cylinder doesn't fall off. The cable needs to have a tiny bit of slack - enough so that its not permently pulling on the release fork. Start with a cylinder a bit too long and grind off a bit at a time.

Second:- Instead of removing the pedal stop, hammer back the metal stop on the car floor. That way you can adjust it until it's just right.

With much fiddling around I found you can get everything just right for you.

Clio clutches are a right PITA. It changes with every different clutch or cable - and don't get me started on the self-adjusting mechanism! :rant:

Matty86
01-06-2009, 18:24
or... just trim the pedal stop :?

kj16v
01-06-2009, 22:10
Yeah but then you have the whole knee/chin problem again. You're obviously not a man-sized man :lol:

Coops
01-06-2009, 22:21
mine just works :?

Matty86
01-06-2009, 23:09
my pedal must sit all of 1cm higher than usual :D

cliokiz
02-06-2009, 13:33
Matt i tried the trimming trick as well, trimmed my pedal stop, worked for a little while but then became undrivable when the engine/clutch/cable warmed up.

In the end i had to remove it completely.

Tried using a shim as mentioned above, but this is pretty pointless because the adjusting ratchet mech will just adjust itself and therefore nothing has changed.

As i mentioned above, the arm works fine in a 172 without the clutch sitting stupidly high, so i wonder if they use a slightly shorter cable..