PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Brace and steering qu.

unklesammy
27-05-2009, 20:01
All,

Does anyone have a spare wheel brace for 16V/Williams? The nipple I bought my williams 3 off a month ago is deciding not to reply to any emails after I asked him if he still had it as I can't get the spare wheel carrier down and I want to have the right one, coz I'm like that.

Also, since i bought the car the steering moves about a cm each direction before any movement of the wheels. The seller said he car had a new steering rack in not long ago ( but i recon it could be a fib) but I was just wondering what the cause could be.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Sammy

katbloke
27-05-2009, 20:07
who did you buy it off, name and shame :)

bendee
27-05-2009, 20:13
i got one you can have if you come collect.

rip the uj joint boot up and have a look and see what condition the joints in if its dead get it welded.

busterhymes
27-05-2009, 20:16
All,

Does anyone have a spare wheel brace for 16V/Williams? The nipple I bought my williams 3 off a month ago is deciding not to reply to any emails after I asked him if he still had it as I can't get the spare wheel carrier down and I want to have the right one, coz I'm like that.

Also, since i bought the car the steering moves about a cm each direction before any movement of the wheels. The seller said he car had a new steering rack in not long ago ( but i recon it could be a fib) but I was just wondering what the cause could be.

Cheers
Sammy

re steering movement might be more likely the track rods not the rod ends the inner joints

unklesammy
27-05-2009, 20:19
Cheers for the offer mate, I'm in Newcastle where are you?

Will inspect he UJ and track rods, cheers.

Sammy

katbloke
27-05-2009, 20:44
not teaching you to suck eggs, just in case with regards to uj and boot he means bottom of steering column accesible by lifting drivers side carpet.

(trying not to offend anyone here)

busterhymes
27-05-2009, 20:58
Cheers for the offer mate, I'm in Newcastle where are you?

Will inspect he UJ and track rods, cheers.

Sammy

shepshed reckon thats leicester area m8 :) :)

Totti
28-05-2009, 00:20
All,

Cheers
Sammy

Ahh...Chris,

I have been rather busy recently and also I have been away and checking my emails comes right at the bottom of my priority list. There is more to life than the internet, although some people may not agree.

...The remote control, I told you a couple of weeks ago that it is about somewhere, and as soon as I find it I will pop it into the post for you. As for the wheel brace, I have no idea where that is. You can get them from a scrap yard for peanuts or even free from some very kind memebers on here.

As for the text that you sent me today, I was going to reply, but when I got it I was freezing cold and soaking wet at brands hatch and my phone was playing up as it was wet and cold too. I thought that it could at least wait until the morning?! I didn't expect to get in from work this evening and see a shitty post on here trying to point the finger and name and shame.

The steering rack, check the service history. It was replaced before I got the car on about 71,000 miles as I told you when you came to view the car. So thats not a fib, its a fact. Wear and tear does happen, even on the legendary williams.

Yours,

Nipple x x x

:roll:

unklesammy
28-05-2009, 07:01
I didn't name and shame you mate, not into that, the fact you replied to the thread has lead to you incriminating yourself.
If you look I have never mentioned your name or even where I got it from.

Seemed strange that you weren't replying to mails etc as you seemed like a decent bloke.

Would be very grateful if you could forward the remote and I can only apologise for the nipple comment, could have been a lot worse! :D

unklesammy
28-05-2009, 07:02
not teaching you to suck eggs, just in case with regards to uj and boot he means bottom of steering column accesible by lifting drivers side carpet.

(trying not to offend anyone here)

All advice is helpful mate, I'm just learning so every little helps (tesco)

Totti
28-05-2009, 09:41
I'm not incriminating myself as I have nothing to hide.

I know you didn't use my name but a lot of people know that you have my old car and thought it would look worse if I didn't say anything at all.

ollie16v
29-07-2009, 02:01
Hi mate, im the previous owner and can confirm the rack was changed, but as stated they do go and its a common fault. Speak to cliorod as to why not to weld them. Do the honerable thing and buy a new one!

This car is a real gem and if i had the money spare i would have bought it, its about the best one i have ever seen.

As for the nipple, hes a real genuine top bloke :lol:

First dibs if you sell her :wink:

unklesammy
29-07-2009, 09:06
Hi Mate, I might just do that when I get the loot.

Yeah the car is mint like and the previous lad is a sound bloke, I was just venting off some anger and he got in the way.

Ah well, I'm def keeping it for a while, great for shipping me and my boy around (slowly most of the time!) but if company car appears in the near future it might be getting sold so I can buy a bike engined kit car. Proper sunny weather toy.

First dibs no problem.

Cheers

ollie16v
29-07-2009, 12:09
I know they can by a pain sometimes but they are the most rewarding car to drive with something that not many others can provide......... character, i always say never again but then i end up with another, so far i have had an rt, 16v, williams, megane coupe and two 197's!

As i said i would not have had any hesitation in buying her back i just have other things going on that prevented it :(

Anyway enjoy her, love her and have fun :wink:

unklesammy
29-07-2009, 12:44
Completely agree with you there. I had a valver years ago then my first williams 3 (which was mint) then over time I've had a 182 and a scooby etc and the williams is def the best handling car.

If I do get another car for work then there is no point in keepin the williams, I bought it coz I loved my other one and it is quite practical for my son to be in with me.

Oh she's being well looked after like, I'm one of those sado's that like to keep it completely original and very clean all of the time. I'm so sad I've even got a spreadsheet of everything little part I change or servicing etc.

The wife is ready to leave me! ha ha!

ollie16v
29-07-2009, 13:06
Completely agree with you there. I had a valver years ago then my first williams 3 (which was mint) then over time I've had a 182 and a scooby etc and the williams is def the best handling car.

If I do get another car for work then there is no point in keepin the williams, I bought it coz I loved my other one and it is quite practical for my son to be in with me.

Oh she's being well looked after like, I'm one of those sado's that like to keep it completely original and very clean all of the time. I'm so sad I've even got a spreadsheet of everything little part I change or servicing etc.

The wife is ready to leave me! ha ha!

I organised your service history in the chronological order :roll: lol. Im the same original is best im not in to silly mods. I am currently driving a CLK for the day to day motorway commute etc and i was thinking about a new motor soon but i am toying with the idea of keeping the merc and getting a williams for the weekend so i can keep it mint and there for fun. Sorry to see the few issues you have had but there still pretty good considering the age.