PDA

View Full Version : 1 for the electrical wizards

16v_paddy
24-05-2009, 18:48
Not a clio :roll: but still a renault :roll:

Got myself a Megane 225 in part-ex for my civic 8) and I've got a problem with the xenon headlights

The xenon headlight on the drivers side isn't working, found that the bulb was broken so got a new one, put it in & it still didn't work.

I then swapped the headlights around - plugged the passenger side unit ( which worked perfect) into the drivers side & vice-versa. Had the same problem,drivers side xenon not working, the wiring etc on the passenger side worked perfect as did the drivers side unit that was plugged into that side. So I know there's nothing wrong with the unit itself.

So the next port of call was the wiring & fuses, got the handbook and it says go to a dealership to change the fuse :shock: piss off :rant:
Eventually found the 10amp fuse for the drivers side & saw it was blown. Changed the fuse and it blew straight away, cue my sparky(ish) mate with his multimeter. When he put it onto the bits where the fuse plugs in, it completed the circuit & the light came on....briefly...then off again.
My mate got a reading of 20 amps which then fried his multimeter :shock:

So to sum it up, the drivers side xenon headlight doesn't work as the circuit is drawing 20amps (or more) that's popping the 10amp fuse, anyone got any idea how to fix this?

richy
24-05-2009, 19:55
Not a clio :roll: but still a renault :roll:

Got myself a Megane 225 in part-ex for my civic 8) and I've got a problem with the xenon headlights

The xenon headlight on the drivers side isn't working, found that the bulb was broken so got a new one, put it in & it still didn't work.

I then swapped the headlights around - plugged the passenger side unit ( which worked perfect) into the drivers side & vice-versa. Had the same problem,drivers side xenon not working, the wiring etc on the passenger side worked perfect as did the drivers side unit that was plugged into that side. So I know there's nothing wrong with the unit itself.

So the next port of call was the wiring & fuses, got the handbook and it says go to a dealership to change the fuse :shock: piss off :rant:
Eventually found the 10amp fuse for the drivers side & saw it was blown. Changed the fuse and it blew straight away, cue my sparky(ish) mate with his multimeter. When he put it onto the bits where the fuse plugs in, it completed the circuit & the light came on....briefly...then off again.
My mate got a reading of 20 amps which then fried his multimeter :shock:

So to sum it up, the drivers side xenon headlight doesn't work as the circuit is drawing 20amps (or more) that's popping the 10amp fuse, anyone got any idea how to fix this?

will be worth removing the fuse board under the bonnet(n/s wing) as they used to be common for water getting in if the cover wasnt fitted right, once unplugged you cn usually see if theres any water ingress around the plug connections etc

16v_paddy
24-05-2009, 20:09
:shock: was an absolute b4stard to just get the cover off to see the fuse board, I couldn't even figure out how to get the 2nd cover off it and I had the bumper & wheel arch liners off.

Will I have to remove the wing to get it out?

richy
24-05-2009, 20:20
:shock: was an absolute b4stard to just get the cover off to see the fuse board, I couldn't even figure out how to get the 2nd cover off it and I had the bumper & wheel arch liners off.

Will I have to remove the wing to get it out?

no fella, take the top cover off and disconnect the battery earth, you should be able to see a 13mm bolt which holds the live cable from the battery on(it also holds the fuse board down), take that out and then with abit of fiddling the fuse board will start to move, you will need to unplug all the wires to get it out fully tho.

out of intrest, when u say you swapped the headlights, did you just swap the bulb and the pack the bulb fits into?

did you try the silver ballast pack at the bottom of the headlights aswell??

MatBrown
24-05-2009, 21:10
How the hell did you get a 225 in part ex for a crappy civic? :shock:

Mat.

16v_paddy
24-05-2009, 21:11
I get you now :D will give it a whirl

I took the drivers side headlights completely off and pugged it in on the passenger side and vice-versa.

I knew the passenger side set worked fine so tried that set on the drivers side & it didn't work, so I knew from that, the problem wasn't the actual headlights themselves but something to do with the wiring

richy
24-05-2009, 21:16
I get you now :D will give it a whirl

I took the drivers side headlights completely off and pugged it in on the passenger side and vice-versa.

I knew the passenger side set worked fine so tried that set on the drivers side & it didn't work, so I knew from that, the problem wasn't the actual headlights themselves but something to do with the wiring

yeah thats the easiest and quick way to test the complete lighting unit, so the both units work when plugged into the passenger side wiring.

as said def worth taking the fuse board out, once its out iirc theres about 6 plastic tabs around the sides which allow you to get the covers off(obviously be careful not to break them and also when handling the circuit board) but they were common for water getting in and killing them, esp when the cover wasnt fitted right after say a fuse change etc!!

i changed quite a few when i worked for renault!

16v_paddy
24-05-2009, 21:34
yeah thats the easiest and quick way to test the complete lighting unit, so the both units work when plugged into the passenger side wiring.

as said def worth taking the fuse board out, once its out iirc theres about 6 plastic tabs around the sides which allow you to get the covers off(obviously be careful not to break them and also when handling the circuit board) but they were common for water getting in and killing them, esp when the cover wasnt fitted right after say a fuse change etc!!

yep, both units worked fine when plugged into the passenger side wiring

So could it be that the circuit board is fried & I need to replace it? Will it be obvious by looking at it that it's dead? And any idea how much it might cost? since the warranty's long expired :roll:

richy
24-05-2009, 21:56
you will know straight away if its had water in it, usual green furry heaven lol

cost im not sure on, im sure it was over £100 but i know renault hiked all the prices up since then! the actual name renault call them is a UPC(protection and switching unit)

i would also double check the wiring from the UPC to the headlight to make sure it has rubbed through anywere causing a direct short, which wires they are i cant help you on that, i dont have access to the VISU wiring discs no more!!

oh if you do need a new UPC there have to be configured with the clip computer, you would need to write down all the old configurations and then set the new one the same.... pain in thr ass i know!!

16v_paddy
24-05-2009, 22:06
i would also double check the wiring from the UPC to the headlight to make sure it has rubbed through anywere causing a direct short, which wires they are i cant help you on that, i dont have access to the VISU wiring discs no more!!

Will have a look, my mate said the fault is probably on the green wire as that was the only thing giving a different reading to the working side

oh if you do need a new UPC there have to be configured with the clip computer, you would need to write down all the old configurations and then set the new one the same.... pain in thr ass i know!!

You lost me from "clip computer" onwards :oops: I'm assuming it's something I'd be able to do myself without having to go to a stealers?
Could I get 1 from a breakers or would it have to be new?

richy
24-05-2009, 22:13
lol sorry CLIP is what renault use to read faults/configure/reprogramme etc which unless you own one you need to find a dealers or someone who does own/have access to one.

you could get another upc off another car but again would need to configure it or some things may not work!

if you find the correct wires you would need to do a continuity check on them with a multimeter and make sure there not earthing out, which would blow fuses non stop untill done!

sorry if it sound abit complicated but it isnt really.

16v_paddy
24-05-2009, 22:53
I know someone with 1 of them 8) will have to get him on it, any excuse to have a go in his R26 as well :twisted:

Will also have to get someone with a multimeter as well since my housemates 1 is fried :lol:

cheers richy :mrgreen:

16v_paddy
24-05-2009, 22:54
How the hell did you get a 225 in part ex for a crappy civic? :shock:

Mat.

Because I'm soooooo goooood! 8) :lol: