PDA

View Full Version : The Demise of the Williams

col
19-05-2009, 18:52
Is it just me or are there a lot of the willys bein broken up?......if so will we still have a club in 2 or 3 years?.

A bit dramatic i know.......but with people not having the money to spend on them...they tend to want to break them and sell the bits on.....this is not a critism just an observation..........i welcome your thoughts!

The King
19-05-2009, 18:54
Most are piles of turd that are better off broken. They cost an astonishing amount to keep in decent condition.

talkingfish
19-05-2009, 19:23
as time goes on, more and more will be lost - the average life of a car is 12 years so most have done well to last this long...

look at it this way though, if those that die kep those that are alive going for longer then surely that can't be a bad thing??

most of the good ones will now be kept that way as they are now in the hands of people with the love and finances to keep them alive...

The King
19-05-2009, 19:30
as time goes on, more and more will be lost - the average life of a car is 12 years so most have done well to last this long...

look at it this way though, if those that die kep those that are alive going for longer then surely that can't be a bad thing??

most of the good ones will now be kept that way as they are now in the hands of people with the love and finances to keep them alive...

The stuff you rip off the shitters is too far gone to be put on the good ones. The owners of the good ones generally buy new from renault. Most of the broken williams stuff ends up on valvers and 1.4's.

MatrixGuy
19-05-2009, 19:54
Well mine is still ok for now, but it's getting to the point when you decide, how much is too much?

Tommo
19-05-2009, 20:17
Williams ownership can be a bottomless money pit tbh, it depends how much you cherish the car really. Personally I have spent far too much over the years (I'd hate to add it all up!!), but it's my hobby and I'd rather spend money on my car than other things. I always try to buy the best oil, quality parts etc, and if I can't afford to I'll take her off the road till I can. Friends and work colleagues think I'm mad, but it's my pride and joy and I think it shows in the condition. Hopefully it will remain this way so in a few years time when most of the other willies have been broken it will start to appreciate in value again... :shock:

talkingfish
19-05-2009, 20:19
Well mine is still ok for now, but it's getting to the point when you decide, how much is too much?

I crossed the point of financial return a long time ago... I supposed it's a question of how much you love your car and what funds will allow...

katbloke
19-05-2009, 20:32
the more that are broken the rarer the ones on the road become and also broken ones help us get the parts renault dont sell amymore and more importantly mat would be unemployed and we wouldnt want that

The King
19-05-2009, 20:41
Williams ownership can be a bottomless money pit tbh, it depends how much you cherish the car really. Personally I have spent far too much over the years (I'd hate to add it all up!!), but it's my hobby and I'd rather spend money on my car than other things. I always try to buy the best oil, quality parts etc, and if I can't afford to I'll take her off the road till I can. Friends and work colleagues think I'm mad, but it's my pride and joy and I think it shows in the condition. Hopefully it will remain this way so in a few years time when most of the other willies have been broken it will start to appreciate in value again... :shock:

I think your car is one of the best on here, i regret not buying it when i had the chance years ago.

Tommo
19-05-2009, 20:49
Cheers King, I do my best but still lots of work to do (as ever)... :cry:

Yes I believe you rang the previous owner before me, the fact it's tuned and ex hillclimb car put a few people off at the time tbh

The King
19-05-2009, 22:11
I liked the box in it. I ended up buying a car with the same diff.

MatrixGuy
20-05-2009, 00:05
Am at the point where i am thinking of selling, but to be honest, would anyone buy it?!

I do love it to bits but at the moment it needs so much doing to it. :cry:

wrighty
20-05-2009, 07:54
It really is a shame that as these cars got into the territory of affordable purchase prices for people they have suffered due to the required high running costs that people may not be able to or reluctant to finance.

The good ones now have got to be worth a few quid to the right buyer?