PDA

View Full Version : Mintex 1144 Pads in Wilwood Calipers?

The King
19-05-2009, 10:09
Ive been trying to find a decent road pad for my Wilwood Superlites as i want to be able to stop well with cold brakes.

In my standard calipers i have the mitex 1144 pads and have found these to be quite good. I seem to remember stan liking these too, and others (swervin mervin?).

Anyway, i phoned rally design to get information on pad choice and they recommended that i use mintexx 1144's in the wilwood calipers. Now i didnt even know these were available for this caliper.

Has anyone else fitted them? I know others also find the wilwood pads difficult to warm up. I will report back as to how this works. They arnt cheap at 90 quid a set, but i thought it was worth a try.

I currently have Poly D's and they are quite badly glazed. I have tried to deglaze them but i think they are too far gone. I get no bite whatsoever from these. This is partly a characteristic of the pedal box i have (brakes can feel slightly 'wooden') and partly age related decline of the pads.

Before anyone starts im not a fan of 4 pots but they came with the car. I will swap between standard calipers and 4 pots depending on what i use the car for. For road and sprints i will use standard calipers as they are good from cold and heat wont be an issue, but i want to get the 4 pots working in case i go to the ring or on track at some point.

So anyway, has anyone fitted the mintex pads to wilwood calipers?

summeh
19-05-2009, 11:12
I use m1144's on standard calipers... swear by them, awesome pads.

Shame they don't do the "mintex extreme" pads anymore because these were the 1144 compound but with anti squeel shims (quite necessary on the 1144 compound). Never tried them in th wilwoods although I imagine they'd be much better than the crap poly * pads.

The King
19-05-2009, 11:14
SO you think the poly pads are shite too? They seem to glaze over if you jusy look at them. Ive deglazed mine many times. Everytime i take them off they are glazed.

The King
19-05-2009, 11:15
Has anyone tried ferodo pads on the rear? They are on offer in Halfords and i need some more.

J o n
19-05-2009, 11:21
I have 1144's on standard calipers too Matt, there pretty good and you can put some heat through them before they fade.

Never used Ferrodo's on the rear, plus which ones, DS series?

Wobba
19-05-2009, 12:29

Shame they don't do the "mintex extreme" pads anymore because these were the 1144 compound but with anti squeel shims (quite necessary on the 1144 compound). Never tried them in th wilwoods although I imagine they'd be much better than the crap poly * pads.

Best pads I've had so far. My DS2500's are not as good.

summeh
19-05-2009, 13:33

didn't you take the 1144's off after about 5miles because you didn't like your car sounding like a shopping trolley? :lol:

summeh
19-05-2009, 13:33

didn't you take the 1144's off after about 5miles because you didn't like your car sounding like a shopping trolley? :lol:

make sure you put them back on for brands..

Wobba
19-05-2009, 14:36

make sure you put them back on for brands..

I don't have them any more :(

The DS2500's are fine when they get to temperature and lately they've not been giving out half as much brake dust as they used to.

The Mintex just had a more satisfying initial bite to them hot or cold.

cliokongen
19-05-2009, 14:47
Stay well clear of the Willwood Poly pads.....
As you say - they can glaze and do not brake well from cold.

Personally i have very good experience with Performance Friction 01 pads.
Brake very well from cold and just keeps getting better as they heat up.
I use these in my Willwoods.
They tend to eat the discs - but as discs are cheaper than pads.... well SFW! :D
I would say one set of pads eats to sets of dicss wit agressive track driving!

Michael

cliokongen
19-05-2009, 14:48
Stay well clear of the Willwood Poly pads.....
As you say - they can glaze and do not brake well from cold.

Personally i have very good experience with Performance Friction 01 pads.
Brake very well from cold and just keeps getting better as they heat up.
I use these in my Willwoods.
They tend to eat the discs - but as discs are cheaper than pads.... well SFW! :D
I would say one set of pads eats to sets of dicss wit agressive track driving!

Michael

arj256
19-05-2009, 17:03
Just out of interest how many people have tried different Wilwood pads?
They have a varied range you can match for your application.
Look at the performance graphs the pad manufacturers supply. And compare with your current pad so you can work out what will be best for you.

The King
19-05-2009, 18:34
Look at the performance graphs the pad manufacturers supply. And compare with your current pad so you can work out what will be best for you.

The graphs only begin at 100 degrees F. Why?

Because the cf. before this is probably shite (is my guess)

Matty86
19-05-2009, 22:35
how long would brakes take to warm up to 37deg though?

MAXIBOY
20-05-2009, 01:14

The graphs only begin at 100 degrees F. Why?

Because the cf. before this is probably shite (is my guess)

yet another guess i assume..

busterhymes
20-05-2009, 07:51
best place to buy 1144's anybody? :) :)

The King
20-05-2009, 09:39
Rally design sell them for wilwood calipers.

busterhymes
20-05-2009, 11:02
what about std calipers

The King
20-05-2009, 11:49
Try any motorsport agent such as rally design and tweeks.

busterhymes
20-05-2009, 11:53
ta very much

summeh
20-05-2009, 14:20
what about std calipers

Rally design for std calipers also. Tis where I buy mine.

Don't buy these pads if your worried about a bit of brake squeel. (its not to bad)

summeh
20-05-2009, 18:12
gsf sell them as well i think.

The King
20-05-2009, 19:41
These came today and i have to say they have definately decreased my stopping distance significantly.

I will fit them tomorrow and see what further imptovements this makes.

summeh
20-05-2009, 20:39
These came today and i have to say they have definately decreased my stopping distance significantly.

I will fit them tomorrow and see what further imptovements this makes.

Eh? decreased your stopping distance before fitting them? Hows that? :lol:

MAXIBOY
20-05-2009, 20:55
he drives slow enough to drop them in front of the wheels thus stopping the car.. :lol:

The King
20-05-2009, 20:56
What do you use to chock the wheels on your car maxiboy? Being as it never moves?

MAXIBOY
20-05-2009, 20:57
your fat head given a chance.. :lol:

The King
20-05-2009, 20:58
Lets see some pics of your car maxiboy.

MAXIBOY
20-05-2009, 21:00
no.. 8)

The King
20-05-2009, 21:00
Why not?

MAXIBOY
20-05-2009, 21:02
why...all you do is slate it..its not your thing..fine..

but your interest is just tedious at best..

diditno
21-05-2009, 20:18
i have got mintex 1144 in my dynalites. to be honest they work really well from cold, but f**k me do they squeel. never heard anything like it. it is that bad that im selling the wilwoods, and going back to a standardish set up with my old pagid blues. if your deaf, or doing track days go fir it, but for every day use, you will go mad. o

The King
21-05-2009, 22:46
Cool i love squeeky brakes, makes it sound like a proper rally car.

summeh
22-05-2009, 00:28
i have got mintex 1144 in my dynalites. to be honest they work really well from cold, but f**k me do they squeel. never heard anything like it. it is that bad that im selling the wilwoods, and going back to a standardish set up with my old pagid blues. if your deaf, or doing track days go fir it, but for every day use, you will go mad. o

lol. Well i use them in std calipers on my every day williams, so guess i must be deaf or mad? :lol:

If they are bedded in properly the squeel isn't to bad, so guessing you didn't bed them in properly? Why dont you just try different brake pads rather than selling your wilwood set up? just find something that works for you..

diditno
22-05-2009, 12:50
im not sure if the wilwoods or the pads compund causing the squeeling, but for me the noise is bordering on stupid. this is the second set of wilwoods ive tried and they both did it even with different pads. this set was given to me a part payment for a set of wheels so i thought id give them another go, but to be honest ive had enough. will probably just go back to bigger discs and my pagid blues. if i was doing trackdays regularly i'd live with it, but im not.

summeh
22-05-2009, 15:54
did you follow the manufacturers procedure for bedding in/heat cycling the pads? it helps...

doesn't matter anyway really as they will always squeel a bit when cold... just need to get heat into them, but you'll never do that driving round town etc.

just go for standard calipers and standard/slightly uprated pads...