PDA

View Full Version : A Question about insurance

Smokey McPot
17-05-2009, 10:48
As most of you are aware 123 is currently in storage.

Before this, I lent my mum use it as my commute to work is a 10 minute work, and she was between cars. Thus is was registered to her, at her address and insured by her.

Currently it is SORN'd in her name, but very soon I will be in a position to put it back on the road. The thing is that my work situation hasn't changed so I have no need to keep it at mine as it will mostly be used at weekends or going oop north to see my girlfriend. That being the case I wish to continue storing at my mums as she has a garage I can use, and all I have is communal parking in an area that commands a significantly higher premium.

When it is back on the road, it will be registered to me and insured by me. I would like to know if it possible to do this but keep it registered at her address as it is less expensive and it will also be spending most of its life there. If everything has to be in my name, at my address etc so be it.

Does anyone know anything about such things? Should I really talk to my insurer?

HYBRID_HAZ
17-05-2009, 10:59
I see no issue with you insuring it and the documents being sent to your address but declaring the car kept at another address.

Smokey McPot
17-05-2009, 11:03
Thats interesting. What is that opinion based on? :)

HYBRID_HAZ
17-05-2009, 11:13
I have a classic car policy where the garage it is stored in is a couple of miles away. The company is aware and happy with this arrangement.

Smokey McPot
17-05-2009, 11:31
Ahh thats re-assuring. Cheers :)

kenny
17-05-2009, 13:04
I have a classic car policy where the garage it is stored in is a couple of miles away. The company is aware and happy with this arrangement.

I have something very similar, and as long as ins co is happy with storage postcode it will accept the situation.

Wobba
17-05-2009, 14:19
Should not be an issue. Some companies may want to know if the car is checked/property is regularly visited, or some may offer cover with exclusion to cover in some aspects, but most wont care.

Smokey McPot
17-05-2009, 16:54
Thats cool, cheers folks :)

Danno
17-05-2009, 19:20

same here :P

Smokey McPot
17-05-2009, 22:28
Ok, seeing as a few of you are using classic insurance, would you mind telling me about it, pro's/con's, costs etc?

I expect I'll be doing about 6000 miles a year or thereabouts.

Direct line quoted me £450-600 depending on factors to insure it for a year, which is fine by me.

HYBRID_HAZ
17-05-2009, 23:11
I insure through Hagerty International. The car would need to be a 2nd vehicle with no modifications.

Daz.
17-05-2009, 23:28
If you explain the situation it'll be fine, I had to explain to my old company that I no longer with that I had changed jobs and work nights, therefore the car would be in a car park at night and at home during the day...

They tried putting the premium up due to it being parked in a car park after dark - I tried explaining its a secure closed off private car park with floodlights and cameras and that its much more safe there than sat outside my house at night while I'm in bed and they weren't having it - so I ****ed them off lol...

Halifax had no problems with it, they said its there for records and its not an issue where it is as long as they have the correct information.

kenny
17-05-2009, 23:31
Don't think you will get a classic car ins, unless anyone on here knows different, the next best thing would be an agreed value ins. For that you will need an independant valuation acceptable to an ins co. First step will be to find ins co that has agreed value policies. I have no knowledge of these companies as it's not an ins type I have. One of my motors has to be locked up either at home or another secure place acceptable to them. That's why what I have is only 'similar' but hopefully this thread will be interesting reading. If they are not classics, they should be.

HYBRID_HAZ
17-05-2009, 23:36
I can say for sure that the company I am insured through (Hagerty International) can arrange classic insurance for the williams and williams 2.

Agreed value policies can be arrange by you providing pictures of the car and stating what you think it is worth. Indepent inspections are only required if the company thinks you value the vehicle too high.

sooty666
18-05-2009, 10:18
HAGERTY is the way to go.. but your williams MUST be your second car with a limited mileage, and for agreed value you must submit photos sides and the front and one of the car in the place were it will be kept(garage).. and dont forget to tell them how standerd the car is.. good luck

Smokey McPot
18-05-2009, 12:20
Looks like Classic insurance is out for me then, given it is my only car.

Not to worry. :)

rob-legend
18-05-2009, 18:03
i insure mine with flux fully comp on limited mileage for 650 and i'm 21 and the car is stored at a different address, give them a bell mate, quite helpful, although i've had problem's in the past with them and swore not to insure with them again, but unfortunately had no choice this time around, but i was dealing with people in the "modified part"this time, and they are far more patient and knowledgable than people who aren't in that department.

Smokey McPot
18-05-2009, 22:41
I have never heard of a person being insured with Adrian Flux that didn't say 'but' when describing the service.

Because of this I will be giving them a wide berth.

If Direct Line are quoting me less money to insure with them on a standard contract, I wouldn't entertain the idea of paying more to go with another company.

Thanks for you input though :) Please dont read this as me being an arse, I'm aware how things can read sometimes.