PDA

View Full Version : Random Tappet Noise

h6ewy
14-05-2009, 18:21
Hi all

I changed my oil and filter last weekend for a semi 10w 40 oil and renault filter. A couple of days later, I have noticed that sometimes, I will start the car and the quiet startup tappet noise will go quickly as usual but about 30 seconds - 1 minute later when driving, I hear a really loud tappet noise which may last for another 30 seconds - 2 minutes. It sounds awfull and had no issues what so ever before I changed the oil.

I dont know what oil was being used before as it was the first time I changed the oil on the car scince ive had it.

Does anyone have any ideas what may be wrong or do you think that it may just be bad\incorrect oil?

Wobba
14-05-2009, 18:57
You could actually have worn tappets. I notice changes in volume from mine too when doing oil changes. Although 10w 40 semi is recommended, I do think it makes the engine a bit noisey. I have brand new tappets in mine and I can hear them slightly still.

You could try some top end treatment additive in the oil if it's really bothering you.

h6ewy
14-05-2009, 21:09
I dont think it is the tappets themselve though as for most of the time they are silent - I dont know whether maybe somehow they are oil starved for a moment - the oil pressure is good though so I doubt the pump has a issue :?

Richardcard1974
14-05-2009, 21:50
Personally i have doubts about renault filters being suitible for a williams, but this might be totally unrelated.

h6ewy
14-05-2009, 22:38
The filter I took off the car was also a renault filter although the new renault filter was smaller than the old one? I cant see that it would cause any problems though.

Wobba
15-05-2009, 16:42
If you think it's oil starvation just take the cam cover off and have a look. Should be oil in the little wells there. Could be the tappets have sludge built up in them. Could be the springs inside are weakening or broken. Till it causes problems I wouldn't worry about it.