PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust

Zollo
07-07-2005, 19:41
I seem to have a problem with exhausts :?

At the moment I have a standard manifold, a decat of unknown origin, and a Magnex cat back system.

I bought a cat from ebay, but that didn't fit (and was knackered anyway!). So I've keeping the decat, but taking off the Magnex (too loud for me :roll: ). However the standard exhaust I'm putting on (Walker jobbie) doesn't want to fit to the decat. :x

Anyone think of any good ideas?! Why the hell isn't it fitting? Are exhaust 16v / Williams specific? Bloody car :(

Martin
07-07-2005, 19:49
yeah 16v & williams have different downpipe/cats I believe not interchageable....why ditch the magnex thought you big tart?

big hp
07-07-2005, 19:53
williams / valver exhausts are the same. Its the fanimold side of the cat thats different. rotated round 45 degs from a valver one. no reason why decat shouldn't fit though.

Zollo
07-07-2005, 20:06
You answered that yourself then Martin...I'm a big Tart! I don't like the attention of a loud exhaust. I want to overtake people quietly :)

Why isn't the std cat back system fitting, when the Magnex one is :?

GazTwo
07-07-2005, 20:20
The Magnex for a Williams is different to a Valver.....Williams has an extra hanger near the CAT...so I presume the standard system will be the same.

northy
08-07-2005, 08:29
The Magnex for a Williams is different to a Valver.....Williams has an extra hanger near the CAT...so I presume the standard system will be the same.

No mate...the extra hanger is just before the rear axle starts.

MatBrown
08-07-2005, 11:14
No.

The hanger at the front which is standard on williams and not present on 16v's is attached to both the magnex systems but this comes with an extra hanger to bolt to the car so that it has somewhere to hang on either model.
The hanger just before the rear axle is where the difference lies, on the 16v system it runs parallel with the one on the car but the williams one is at 90 degrees to the hanger on the car, this is because the hanger on the williams body is a closed loop and only a renault mount can be used but the 16v hanger is open so the magnex mount can be used.

Mat.

northy
08-07-2005, 11:17
good lad matt, i was sort of right... :wink:

Zollo
08-07-2005, 11:40
Cheers for the info guys :D . However, not doing the exhaust swapage myself means I have no idea what you're on about. :P

And I still have no idea as to why my Magnex will fit onto the decat, but the std system won't. It's at completely the wrong angle :x

How can I tell what parts are wrong and what parts I need to replace? Ideally, I want to keep the decat (or buy another if it's wrong) and put on a standard system (either the one I have, or buy new one).

Anyone around my area that will know what to look for, or how to sort it out, or have any parts I can buy off em? :D

2 live
08-07-2005, 11:43
sounds like u need an interchangeable de-cat pipe mate, so u can turn the flanges round to suit whichever pipe u fit

Zollo
08-07-2005, 12:39
My mistake :oops: . The angle of the decat is right, but it's too short and the std exhaust doesn't quite reach it. :?

Anyone had this problem before?

clowo16v
08-07-2005, 14:44
The cat on my 16v is 17 1/2" long if thats any help. My decat is ajustable so I just sit the manifold and tail pipe in the right place and make it fit.

If you cant get the exhaust to fit, get whoevers doing it to cut a couple of exhaust flanges off an old system and use them to extend the decat flange. It's a bit of a bodge but with plenty of gum gum on it should be ok.

Whatever you do dont pull the rear section of the exhaust to meet the decat or else the tailpipe will go behind the back bumper and melt the plastic.

See ya

Matt

Zollo
08-07-2005, 16:47
Cheers mate. Trouble is, where it's only just on there it's in the wrong position and is knocking.

To be honest, I'm having so many other problems with the car that I'm tempted to just strip it and sale it for spares anyway :(

Lunner
08-07-2005, 19:41
Righto, lets clear this up.

The cat on the williams and 16v are the same length....exactly

The flanges are at 45 degrees to each other on the williams, and 90 degrees on the 16v.

I can sort you a de0cat for the 16v, that will fit a williams downpipe if you want....price is £35 delivered, this will sort your problems

Zollo
08-07-2005, 19:48
Cheers Lunner. The next stage was to ask you for a new decat :)

Really though, there should be no reason why the exhaust wouldn't reach the decat, so a new one wouldn't make any difference, I don't reckon. Just gonna get a long bit of exhaust pipe and make a large sleeve up. So how long that lasts. :roll:

Lunner
08-07-2005, 19:54
How much is not quite reaching it?

If its about 1/2" or so stick long bolts through and it will pull it together, chekc the mounts etc, see if you can move the system down the car, if the angles are right, looks like he has had a 16v system and de-cat, and fitted it to the williams

Actually thinking about it, the flanbge at the angle is on the fanifold, so a williams de-cat will bring the flange round to the same angle as the 16v, so a valver zorst will fit a williams

Zollo
08-07-2005, 19:58
Not sure by how much, as I wasn't doing it. My mate can make it reach, but then it doesn't follow the route it should and touches the axle.