PDA

View Full Version : Under car refurb

Adi82
11-05-2009, 11:50
I have currently removed the rear beam, exhaust, heatshields and aux fuel tank from my williams.

I have noticed quite a bit of surface rust under there which I am going to try and remove with a wire brush attachment on my drill.

Are there any easier ways to remove the rust than this?

Once I have removed it should i treat it with anything?

I have hammorite with added waxoil to paint it with but do i need to primer it first?

Thanks

Adi

LEIGH-ANNE
11-05-2009, 12:03
Another member from here ARJ256 has done exactly this. He has the blue hammerite, looks great imo.

Do a search in picture threads of hes and your see hes efforts :)

You really do need to give it a VERY good clean, scrub the dirt and grime with white spirit (not in a garage as we did lol) Then give it a good paint over. It IS worth taking ur time with this tbh, if u dont the dirt will work its way back through the paint within time. adam made me to a wheel arch.... :evil: :wink:

No need for primer no :D

MAXIBOY
11-05-2009, 13:37
i disagree...

best way in my opinion is
1. blue spot paint and rust remover..unless you have sandblasting spot guns
2. rust treatment (krust or dintrol)
3. anti rust primer or hammerite
4. anti rust stonechip or underseal..

http://www.toolspot.co.uk/product/bluespot-paint-and-rust-remover-wheel-for-drills

much better than a wire brush..safer and no bits sticking though your clothes..

Richardcard1974
11-05-2009, 13:50
Best way is to do it the way you want, but just make sure you remove the surface rust, paint over the remains and add a stone chip of some kind.

There is NO one right way to do it.

J o n
11-05-2009, 14:05
Best way is to do it the way you want, but just make sure you remove the surface rust, paint over the remains and add a stone chip of some kind.

There is NO one right way to do it.

bit like modifying cars, no right or wrong way... that is until it suits a particular agenda.

ramps and a carcher sounds like a good start though lol

Adi82
11-05-2009, 15:56
Cheers for the advice guys the karcher is tonights job, will order some of those blue spot wheels as they look a bit better than what I have right now.

Will the hammerite with waxoil serve as a stone chip?

J o n
11-05-2009, 16:10
oops spelling failure for me there... knew it didn't look right as I typed it... should know really, my parents have one... then again I never clean my car, so that's my excuse :lol:

speak to Northy with regards to protecting rear arches too, he's sorted out his and his brother Andy's so they shouldn't rust for a good few years!

MAXIBOY
11-05-2009, 16:27
Cheers for the advice guys the karcher is tonights job, will order some of those blue spot wheels as they look a bit better than what I have right now.

Will the hammerite with waxoil serve as a stone chip?

yeah under the car hammerite will serve as protection with a underseal over it..

though hammerite isn't the best its good value for money

Richardcard1974
11-05-2009, 18:06
Waxoyl doesnt set. Thats why i dont like it. On the underside of my rally car i used kurust, hammerite and then protectakote on the high impact areas.

Protectakote is a polyuerethane paint for floors. But its very hard and rubbery. Ones its on its very very hard to get off and its resistant to pretty much anything. I learnt about how to use it off a rally site where i saw historic Porsche owners coating the wheel arches of their rally cars with it.

MAXIBOY
11-05-2009, 18:14
http://www.therustshop.com/shop/index.php

katbloke
11-05-2009, 18:46
built hamber products are very good http://www.bilthamber.com/