PDA

View Full Version : Product review - Coops' solid dogbone mount

16v_paddy
10-05-2009, 17:32
Posted a-la justin styleee :wink: :lol:

Well I've replaced the piss poor sack of shite useless 12 month old powerflex dogbone mount :evil: with a nice & shiny solid adjustable mount courtesy of Mr. Coops 8)

A bit fiddly to fit - especially if your mechanic who had the engine out put the bolts for the dogbone in the other way round, then put the downpipe on, meaning you can't get one of the bolts out & the dogbone off :evil: easily :? solved by removing the drivers side mount, dropping the engine & some jiggley shizz :P

All fitted up, I took her for a spin. 1st reaction was eeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggg ggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!! :shock: this is ****in horrible :evil: my lovely leathered up & comfy valver feels ****ed :cry:

BUT as soon as I got her on the open road it all made sense :D the gearchange felt fan****ingtastic :D :D :D well worth every little slagtastic vibration :twisted: I now love the slagness & B-Road blasts are all the better for it :twisted:

I now have a leathered up little SLAG that loves a good spanking :twisted: a Coops dogbone comes highly recommended from moi :D

:driving: :groupwave: \:D/ :affro: :approve: :rally: :muahaha: :strong:

col
10-05-2009, 18:29
i would have thought the powerflex....would have been the dogs doodars

obviously not.....Paddy?

col

16v_paddy
10-05-2009, 18:44
The powerflex was great at 1st, but the bastard things shrink when exposed to some serious heat :evil: my mate had a powerflex engine mount on his T5 & that shrank quite badly as it was directly above the exhaust manifold, mine has shrank just enough for there to be quite a bit of play around the edges & metal sleeves

maybe it's something to do with the yellow poly bushes :? maybe if they made them with the stiffer black or purple bushes, would that solve the problem :?: I couldn't say, but the amount my gearstick has been moving lately was unacceptable especially since it's supposed to be an uprated mount on there :roll:

Richardcard1974
10-05-2009, 19:48
The group A engine mounts use solid aluminium to mount the engine to the subframe but still have a RUBBER bush in them. There is rubber there for a reason. Rubber works.

16v_paddy
10-05-2009, 20:09
I'm not disputing that rubber works :roll:

Polyeurathane next to the downpipe clearly doesn't work and I've found std rubber dogbones aren't good enough for my liking & this solid one will do for now as I've had it lying around for a while

Wobba
10-05-2009, 21:59
The next question is: Where do I get a Grp A mount :D

MAXIBOY
10-05-2009, 22:10
renault 2200 quid iirc..

16v_paddy
10-05-2009, 22:17
:rofl1:

sleeky
12-06-2009, 18:01
Just thought I would add to this.

Fitted mine today, got it used off someone aggges ago, and it does feel really great, slides in and out of gear with ease and no more annoying movement from the engine on the over-run or when you give her some beans! Along with fresh fluid my gearbox has been transformed.

I know what you mean about the vibrations etc... though, tis worth it 8)

Mine was a bugger to fit too as the rear bolt had been put on the wrong way aswell, but managed to drop the engine enough to get clearance!

Lee.

cliorod
13-06-2009, 01:24
Wobba,

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h305/Cliorod/007-1.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h305/Cliorod/0062.jpg

This is Grp "A" style :wink: :wink: mount,I copied from my pukka Renault sport one,It uses two Williams wishbone bushes in the subframe end,would need to be relieved if used a power steering rack,to clear the fluid pipes.
The subframe also requires,brackets welding/bolting on.

I can get these made if your after one.
Rod

Wobba
13-06-2009, 02:00
Oooooh! Hehehe! I may get in touch mate :) Bit skint at mo though. Had a slight problem with my car which has cleaned me out almost.

cliorod
13-06-2009, 02:20
or you could just use an r19 rear mount.

Summeh,
The front part is exactly that off a Renault 19,however,the mounting holding the bush,that bolts to the subframe is/was a big numb thing :roll: :lol: :roll: ,hence this,a nice neat very effective mounting

summeh
13-06-2009, 02:21
ic

Smokey McPot
13-06-2009, 09:29
A few people have mentioned the transfer of vibration, would this not be a bad thing for longevity of the gearbox?

16v_paddy
13-06-2009, 16:15
more about the improvement in the drive for me, if the gearbox breaks it breaks, just replace it & carry on :rally: