PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox Dropped its Guts!!

SIMONCLIODIMMA
02-05-2009, 18:47
After a long pause I finally got my willy 3 sprayed up, all put together and ready for MOT. Bearing in mind I got this trailored straight from a salvage yard and took a punt on the engine gearbox being ok and just having to sort the fully paint strippered shell. Well as I said all sorted and put exhaust on, gave it a spin and heard clunking coming from gearbox under drive, sounded like a shagged drive shaft/ UJ but no def gearbox. When I reverse and engadge the clutch as rolling backwards it just halts the car, as if something is catching. Gave it a good thrap or two down the ind estate and the gearbox dropped all its blood. Its coming from the bellhousing.

Any ideas what may be wrong? It sounds terminal though.

Secondly, taking that its totally shagged what are the options for uprated box, either new internals or reconditioned! Could it be the diff? I intend to significantly increase the power output so would have to uprate anyway, any suggestions and examples of price?

Anyhow Ill just mop up the blood spill while I ponder the demise of willy's maiden voyage.

Cheers

katbloke
02-05-2009, 20:50
input shaft seal?

Wolfie
02-05-2009, 21:14
What about the noise though! Would the input seal cause that?

Chadwick
03-05-2009, 01:09
Whatever it is. You need to get the box' out. As soon as you do some digging you'll find out :wink:

feel for you mate, i've just done a full gearbox refurb myself. And it was one hell of a tedious job!

Allan
03-05-2009, 21:58
did you have the dimma resprayed in the end?