PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox - HELP!!!!!!!!

unklesammy
30-04-2009, 21:56
Hi,

I've just been out in my new williams 3 and was showing the wife what it could do and BANG a horrible noise from under the bonnet and vibrations of a serious nature.

Anyhoo, after a call to the AA man we had a look and it looks like the gearbox is shafted. The linkage from the box to the gear stick is flapping around and it looks like something has popped out of the bottom of the box.

Will be sending it to my local garage in the morn but was just wondering if anyone had the same problem, could offer me any advice and guidance or if anyone knows where I might source a recon gearbox (if needed).

I'm in Newcastle upon Tyne and have only had the car a week!

GUTTED!!!!!!!!

Your sadly
Sammy

1995clio16v
30-04-2009, 22:00
LMFAO! Showing the wife what It could do!!!

Sounds like the circlip has maybe destroyed itself?

unklesammy
30-04-2009, 22:03
Is that a cheap fix?

MAXIBOY
30-04-2009, 22:36
if theres enough poking out the bottom to remove the linkage then its past its best..

get another box...

600 quid from renault or find a decent secondhand one..

1995clio16v
30-04-2009, 22:50
Or you could pick up a cheep JC3, prob arounf £50 from ebay or PM Mat Brown.

Thats a cheap fix to get you up and running for now.

One suggestion if money is an issue.

Wobba
30-04-2009, 23:31
Hmm, you sure it's the box and not just the mechanism for the gear linkage?

Got any pics?

JC5 boxes are about if you want a 2nd hand one...

unklesammy
01-05-2009, 06:23
To be honest I'm not sure, haven't had a chance to get it jacked up yet.

Will see what the garagw says this morning.

Cheers for all the replies all, will wait to hear and take it from there

Cheers
Sammy

unklesammy
05-05-2009, 15:38
Just got the car back from the garage, £400 bill to go with it !! GULP!

The car doesn't feel the same but the mechanic said that it's got a little damage to the diff but it should be ok.

While it's still running ok I'm still going to try and source a recon gearbox as I want it back to it's best.

Problem was due to MY rough gear change and alot of torque it sheared the engine mounting, which pulled the drive shaft out and thus cattled it.

New drive shaft has been fitted but I think in the near future I'll be sourcing a new or recon gearbox (or if poss a new diff, not sure if that's an option), so if anyone hears of a decent one going, pls LMK.

Yours VERY sadly

Sammy

Tommo
05-05-2009, 17:02
An option would be to get an LSD mate, they would recon your box and fit the diff, aint cheap though, but I suppose a new box and diff from renault wouldn't be exactly cheap either...

unklesammy
05-05-2009, 18:04
cheers tommo.

What's one of those?

Sammy

MAXIBOY
05-05-2009, 18:42
limited slip differential.

http://www.torquecars.com/tuning/limited-slip-diffs.php

as posted above get a recon box from renault is the best step in your case..

about 500/600 quid or a good secondhand one if your very very lucky..

wouldn't get yours rebuilt if the diff is damaged as the cost would be huge.

unklesammy
05-05-2009, 19:27
Thanks very much mate.

I'll keep hold of that for the future and hope that the one in now lasts a while so I can save some pennies for the up coming work.

If it is just the diff that is cattled then I might look at putting an LSD in but will see how much it is as and when I need it.

Cheers again

Sammy

MAXIBOY
05-05-2009, 19:36
yeah but diff and fitting is round 1000 quid for an lsd. and that doesn't include the gearbox parts/rebuild.

a fully rebuilt gearbox and diff from renault 600 quid so unless you need/want an lsd its the expensive option..

i have one and love it...but they are not cheap.

Tommo
05-05-2009, 22:15
Sorry I thought a new box and diff from Renault would be more than £600? That's a good price, I'd go for that then as an LSD would be £1000+ and I suppose it's overkill if it's just for road use...

MAXIBOY
05-05-2009, 22:24
new is about a grand i think...fully rebuilt is 600 iirc..

Laine_16v
05-05-2009, 22:34
They shafted you 400 quid to change the gearbox mount? :?

Tommo
05-05-2009, 22:39
New drive shaft too....even so does seem a bit excessive

MAXIBOY
05-05-2009, 22:51
depends if it was renault or renault parts..

unklesammy
06-05-2009, 12:33
I think the killer was the labour charges. They are expensive but are a totally straight garage who I've used for 16 years so I'm willing to pay a little extra to know I'll not get done.

Going to see how long it lasts then once it goes, give it a go myself and see if I can change it! GULP!

BTW, does anyone know where I can get hold of an old autodata disc for the williams? Would buy a Haynes but they are pap and I'd like to have the real I AM from Renault if poss.

Thanks for all your comments people, such a friendly and welcoming bunch, you clio owners.

Cheers
Sammy

Tommo
06-05-2009, 12:45
It's always good to know a garage you can trust, even if it means paying a little extra. I have used the same garage for 12 years for the same reason, their people skills aren't the best and are more expensive than the norm, but they know their stuff and always do a good job! They even rebuilt the engine on my Williams, took them 8 weeks but they did such a good job, 2 years on it's still perfect.

This forum is a fountain of knowledge mate, I would have been stuck if I hadn't found this place a few years ago!

MAXIBOY
06-05-2009, 13:27
BTW, does anyone know where I can get hold of an old autodata disc for the williams? Would buy a Haynes but they are pap and I'd like to have the real I AM from Renault if poss.
Cheers
Sammy

i have the autodata manual but its mainly wrong... :?

i have the haynes clio and megane manuals too which cover most torque settings..anything you need in particular mate

unklesammy
06-05-2009, 13:34
Mainly wrong? Oh dear.

I just would like a copy so I can revert to it as and when i need to.

MAXIBOY
06-05-2009, 13:38
yeah...head torque figures etc are wrong..better with a pair on haynes really

clio ones covers everything just about..even the engine torque figures are right..

megane gives you a few extra specs but everything else including the head/cams has changed.

only thing willy has is a different front track really..specs wise and slightly different engine specs but torque figures are the same.

2 live
06-05-2009, 18:55
may be worthwhile gettin the extra mount fitted too mate. helps with shoring up the box a bit.

parts are roughly £50 from reno iirc.