PDA

View Full Version : decat or ktec sport cat

busterhymes
30-04-2009, 11:46
heard and read decat will give me a bit more power any idea how much also been on ktec site and seen this

http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=2036

any ideas on benefits from this cat would i gain similar power increases over a decat
any probs with running a decat apart from it needs changing back for MOT

any advice appreciated :) :) :)

Wobba
30-04-2009, 12:21
I have no problems running my decat pipe. It is noisier, which for some can be a problem but not me tbh.

It changes the torque curve a bit, less low down torque but upper end is boosted.

I think my decat weighs less than a standard CAT as well.

Tommo
30-04-2009, 12:28
I wouldn't bother the the sports cat, they are well overpriced imo, decats are a lot cheaper and you will gain more power, but as wobba says you will lose some low down torque too. I have ran a decat and didn't like it, was too raspy and the loss of low end torque frustrated me, I was so much happier when I put the standard cat back on.... :)

busterhymes
30-04-2009, 12:30
hmmmm mixed views eh just to confuse me :? ta for ur thought :) :)

Tommo
30-04-2009, 12:35
Best thing is to try a decat, you can always switch back if you don't like it. Many people on here rate them very highly, it just wasn't for me. As for the sports cat....I don't know enough about them really but I doubt the gains would be any better than a decat, and as I said the KTEC price is ridiculous, if you could find one second hand it may be worth trying it out and posting your findings on here?

busterhymes
30-04-2009, 12:40
ta m8 will give it some thought price on sports cat did seem a bit steep but havin nothin to compare it with re decat wondered about the silenced decat as like u say if its noisier then that will annoy me and not sure i want to lose bottm end torque bugger decisions decisions :) :)

16v_paddy
30-04-2009, 13:37
I've got pretty much the same thing, not fitted it yet as it needs flanges welding on but I got it for £30 and it'll cost me £40 to have it fitted, fcuk paying k-tec that much money :D

Wobba
30-04-2009, 14:12
If you have a decat, just fit it and see what you think. Its an easy job even when the bolts are completely seized (junior hacksaw time). Stick some high temp sealant on flanges, job done.