PDA

View Full Version : Detailing

Wobba
29-04-2009, 12:53
I have recently used a meguiars washing glove thingy on my car and it seems to have retained a lot more dirt than a good old sponge. the effect of this is that I have now put a ton of swirl marks into the paintwork.

Something I have been interested in is detailing, but never had the money or know-how on how to do it properly.

At this stage I wanna get the swirls removed obviously and a nice polish would be good, but would like opinions on methods or products people use.

Cheers, Wobba.

LEIGH-ANNE
29-04-2009, 13:13
I have the 3 stage meguirers stuff if u wana borrow it to see how u get on...takes up most of the day tho! LOL

Smokey McPot
29-04-2009, 13:42
spent 6 hours cleaning my old mans Accord the other weekend.

Wash, Clay, Polish, Wax, Seal...

Long day but tiring.

Wobba
29-04-2009, 13:46
Awesome yea! I'll deffo give it a try! If I like it I'll buy some and you can borrow whatever I end up getting in return hehe.

Is it like a clay bar on stage 1? Obviously it will need a good clean first. It looks a mess at the mo :( May redo my skuttle panel as it is a little patchy after I spilt petrol all over the place... :roll:

katbloke
29-04-2009, 13:47
the meguiars wash mitt is poor imo, i use mine only for below the bumpstrips and wheels, high quality lamswool washmitt is better, are you using 2 buckets ie one with the shampoo and another containing just water to rinse the washmitt into, this helps to keep grit out of the bucket that holds the shampoo.

As far as swirl removal goes, you can do it by hand but a machine such as a porter cable or megs g220 will make it so much easier

Wobba
29-04-2009, 13:57
the meguiars wash mitt is poor imo, i use mine only for below the bumpstrips and wheels, high quality lamswool washmitt is better, are you using 2 buckets ie one with the shampoo and another containing just water to rinse the washmitt into, this helps to keep grit out of the bucket that holds the shampoo.

As far as swirl removal goes, you can do it by hand but a machine such as a porter cable or megs g220 will make it so much easier

I think it was the meguiars mit that has put the scratches in. I've never had this problem before and now my swirl marks are very noticeable.

I cant really justify the outlay for a porter cable at this time, and being a newbie I'd probably screw it up even more.

As for 2 bucket method, I admit I've not been doing it as my other bucket has become full of shit from oil changes etc hehe.

I'll defo give the Meguairs 3 stage a spin though :D Bank holiday is booked then!

LEIGH-ANNE
29-04-2009, 14:21
Excellent yea ok then. Dan i want my scuttle and all my black bits doing too....maybe we could help each other here!!

I always use the 2 bucket method....i actually have about 4 buckets....dan u can have one if u want to.

Do u have autoglym bumper shine....i really want some... :D

Wobba
29-04-2009, 14:33
I dont have the bumper shine :(

I can sort your skuttle for you if you like, I have a spare you can put on temporarily I think...not good if it rains and you have not got it on!

The mirrors can be sprayed, but have to be done just right, not done my Willy ones yet.

A spare bucket would be AWESOME! I may get a clay bar too...it's gonna be a long hard day I reckon...

LEIGH-ANNE
29-04-2009, 14:45

I can sort your skuttle for you if you like, I have a spare you can put on temporarily I think...not good if it rains and you have not got it on!

The mirrors can be sprayed, but have to be done just right, not done my Willy ones yet.

A spare bucket would be AWESOME! I may get a clay bar too...it's gonna be a long hard day I reckon...

Yea ur right, u wana cum to mine to clean it all up?

katbloke
29-04-2009, 15:29
if you like the AG bumper gel you should see black wow, its awesome even though like AG the longevity isnt there

Wobba
29-04-2009, 15:45

Yea ur right, u wana cum to mine to clean it all up?

^^

richy
29-04-2009, 17:49
do you wash the mitt after, ie in the washing machine etc?

just wandering, not had any issues with mine so far.

MatrixGuy
29-04-2009, 18:00
I like using the Sonus sheepskin mitt, i find it's better. I also have the Dodo Juice Wookie Fist which is awesome.

If your going down the machine route then you can't go wrong with Meguiars 80, 83, etc or Menz. Otherwise for hand polish AutoGlym SRP or one from the ClearKote range

Smokey McPot
29-04-2009, 18:23
Watch out using Wonder Wheels on painted rims.

Its excellent stuff, but can damage paint.

Tommo
29-04-2009, 18:24
ARC car wash is good enough for me.... :wink:

On a serious note I'm getting mine detailed for the FCS so I'll keep an eye on everything he does and take note, he's supposed to be one of the best in the business so will be interesting to see the results....

Rudders16v
29-04-2009, 19:03
I detailed mine myself back in March as it had been stood in my garage unused for 8 months, without covers so was very dusty.

I always use a Meguiars wash mit and if you use double buckets, this should be fine. The best step after washing is to clay it, this will remove all the contaminents and previous was layers etc. I then went over the car 3 times with Meguiars Scratch X (i've got the old stuff, but the latest one is supposed to be even better). After claying, I use a poorbouys polish, and then 2 coats of Meguiars Next-Gen wax.

The results are incredible, well worth the 20+ hours it took to do the car properly. The Meguiars website is a great place to look if you want to learn how to use the products in the best possible way, lots of helpful people and step-by-step guides to even what normally seems as the simplest things!

katbloke
29-04-2009, 19:51

There a much better out there, i use meguiars wheel brightener but when i finally exhaust my gallon of the stuff ill be switching to bilberry as its non acidic

katbloke
29-04-2009, 19:53
I detailed mine myself back in March as it had been stood in my garage unused for 8 months, without covers so was very dusty.

I always use a Meguiars wash mit and if you use double buckets, this should be fine. The best step after washing is to clay it, this will remove all the contaminents and previous was layers etc. I then went over the car 3 times with Meguiars Scratch X (i've got the old stuff, but the latest one is supposed to be even better). After claying, I use a poorbouys polish, and then 2 coats of Meguiars Next-Gen wax.

The results are incredible, well worth the 20+ hours it took to do the car properly. The Meguiars website is a great place to look if you want to learn how to use the products in the best possible way, lots of helpful people and step-by-step guides to even what normally seems as the simplest things!

Also consider registering at www.detailingworld.co.uk theres some great work to be seen in the showroom section and lots of very helpful tutorials

Smokey McPot
29-04-2009, 21:24

There a much better out there, i use meguiars wheel brightener but when i finally exhaust my gallon of the stuff ill be switching to bilberry as its non acidic

I would gladly have had Bilberry over wonder wheels, but its not as easily available.

jay s
29-04-2009, 21:32
strange, ive got a meguiars wash mitt and seems fine with the 2 bucket method. how/what you drying it with?
best way to remove scratchs is with a pc imo, got a g220 and works wonders on the paint :D im a fan of menzerna polish, hard to work with but well wort the results.. few of my efforts :wink:

my clio, with swirls etc :wink:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/jay16v-/2009_0321Image0047.jpg

after first stage, ( menz intensuve polish on a polishing pad )
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/jay16v-/2009_0321Image0051.jpg

then after menz final finish on a finishing pad
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/jay16v-/2009_0321Image0072.jpg

another example, my mates bm badly swirled
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/jay16v-/bmpced016.jpg

then after a going over with intensive polish
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/jay16v-/bmpced017.jpg

my mate finishing as i could'nt be arsed :wink:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/jay16v-/bmpced047.jpg

got a lexus is 200 to do this weekend which im really looking forward to :roll: lol was also asked if i would do a £80k porsche but turned it down in fear of something going wrong ( not that i don't trust my work just if something did go wrong i could'nt pay for it to be sorted being a porsche )

Wobba
29-04-2009, 21:53
Holy **** thats good results :D

katbloke
30-04-2009, 07:51
i use megs 83 and 80 as all i have in the menzerna range is ff106

Wobba
30-04-2009, 08:34
i use megs 83 and 80 as all i have in the menzerna range is ff106

All these different products confuse me :(

katbloke
30-04-2009, 09:23
its all down to different levels of cut, with megs products the higher the number the the stronger the cut, menz 106ff is approx the same as megs 80 for abrasiveness, menz ip is close to megs 83, megs 80 or 106 refines the finish left by 83 or ip and leaves it ready for glaze, sealant then wax.

Hers a quick 50/50 of a red civic during machine correction, the results speak for themselves and are easily more achievable than they are by hand.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p28/ahaydock/Civic%20Type%20R%20Detail%20April%202009/MikesTypeRApril200933.jpg

katbloke
30-04-2009, 09:25
oh above pic is not my work its from a user on detailingworld

Wobba
30-04-2009, 12:13
I get you. I am worried about the thickness of the paint in certain areas. Personally I'd like to try a cutting product but I think I only need light cutting to be honest.

LEIGH-ANNE
30-04-2009, 13:17
I have a fine cutting compound here dan

J o n
30-04-2009, 13:37
just dont bother washing it, saves time, effort and money. Mine's lucky if it's once every 6 months lol

Wobba
30-04-2009, 14:39

How do you apply it?

As for not washing it, too right with this shitty weather!

LEIGH-ANNE
30-04-2009, 18:44

How do you apply it?

As for not washing it, too right with this shitty weather!

Lots of water and elbow grease im advised. But i can check from the person u used it last :D

katbloke
30-04-2009, 19:03
must be farecla g3 you really need water for that as it can burn the paint if used with a rotary

col
30-04-2009, 19:35
I have to say ive been cleanin cars for over...............40 years.........but you guys are in another league... :shock: .........i have to bow to superior knowledge..an application. :(

LEIGH-ANNE
30-04-2009, 22:01
Katbloke yea that's it, couldn't think of the name like