PDA

View Full Version : wrapped manifolds

schakal
27-04-2009, 21:02
anyone on here heat wrapped a 16v zorst manifold by any chance ?
i am after some pics as how to do it (where to start etc )
and some information as to what width ,lenght heat wrap to buy .

:D

thaijedi
28-04-2009, 09:39
dude i wraped my K-Tec 4-2-1 i no its not what your asking but should be the same.

Start at the top get some 50mm wide wrap and soke it in a bucket. Use heat proff tyes to hold the first few turns.. i used jublie clips as had no tyes nad rember to pull it tight very tight and overlap every quater inch or as close as.

Go all the way down to were the down pipe meats you de-cat as you want the gasses to stay as hot as poss as they will exit quicker.

I used to roles get plane as the dyed ones make one hell of a mess and when is done be sure to start the car outside your garage as theres loads of steem.

Hope thats of some help

Wobba
28-04-2009, 11:10
When the weather gets better I'll be doing this too. I've had high temp ties on standby, but they look a pain to clamp on tbh :(

I have 50 foot of 2" plain wrap, cost me about £50. I also have high temp silicone sealant spray for the job too to minimise any potential rot on the mani and d/p.

schakal
28-04-2009, 11:25
When the weather gets better I'll be doing this too. I've had high temp ties on standby, but they look a pain to clamp on tbh :(

I have 50 foot of 2" plain wrap, cost me about £50. I also have high temp silicone sealant spray for the job too to minimise any potential rot on the mani and d/p.

it looks too tight for space between the pipes on the log manifold ,
also wondering how you will tackle the strengthening cogs running
along the pipes ,surely wrapping over them will leave some gap between
the wrap and the pipe surface ? might even cause the wrap to cut off
eventually :?

50 foot is about 15metres ,why is it so expensive ? is there anything
wrong with this one ?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=350194437907

also why would the manifold rot as long as the engine is run
regularly ??

busterhymes
28-04-2009, 11:27
whats the benefits of heat wrapping the manifold downsides sound like a nice bit of rot but is it just to keep the engine bay cooler any confirmed increase in performance :?

1995clio16v
28-04-2009, 11:35
I read somewhere recently, cant remem whether it was on here or 16valver, it shouldnt be done.

Let me think where I saw the post.

thaijedi
28-04-2009, 12:04
whats the benefits of heat wrapping the manifold downsides sound like a nice bit of rot but is it just to keep the engine bay cooler any confirmed increase in performance :?

ya it keeps the engine bay cooler but the main thing is it keeps the gasses hotter which means they flow quicker. Quicker flow means less back preasure which will aide power increase

Wobba
28-04-2009, 14:01
Also a cooler engine bay means the air entering the inlet is cooler. Cooler=denser=more oxygen=better burn=more power=I win.

There are people out there that say dont do it, and I hear if done wrong (i.e. leaving sections of exposed manifold creating 'hotspots') can damage parts.

Personally, I hear it helps with pops and bangs, and that's what my car is all about for me :D

Better exhaust gas flow is a bonus, plus the motorsport look is cool as fcUk hehe.

I mentioned I have silicone spray. I am going to prep the surfaces of the manifold and spray it once done to protect from moisture damaging the mild steel. Have a look here:

https://www.speedforsale.com/nissangtrparts/design-engineering-high-temperature-silicone-coating-p-920.html?osCsid=4sa6nj70v9c1h9soo9enn78gp5

Evogone
28-04-2009, 15:06
Wrapped my rally car manifold and its been fine no problems, used the copper impregnated one. When i get my new 4-2-1 manifold then i will be wrapping this too. Underbonnet temps are an issue with this car in competition so this really helps.

I would recommend it from my experience.

schakal
28-04-2009, 15:30
Wrapped my rally car manifold and its been fine no problems, used the copper impregnated one. When i get my new 4-2-1 manifold then i will be wrapping this too. Underbonnet temps are an issue with this car in competition so this really helps.

is that a log manifold or a tubular one mate ?

Evogone
28-04-2009, 15:57

is that a log manifold or a tubular one mate ?

Williams manifold

thaijedi
29-04-2009, 17:22
just some more info

http://www.torquecars.com/tuning/exhaust-wraps.php

check it out :D

schakal
29-04-2009, 20:06
just some more info

http://www.torquecars.com/tuning/exhaust-wraps.php

check it out :D

was looking into ceramic coating as wrapping dont seem to be
a logical option for the valver manifold which i am planning on using :?